From Edge of Darkness Wiki
Poise. Dignity. The capacity to remain calm and appear --and actually be-- unfazed in social and threatening situations, usually harrowing ones. Your character might lose his temper at the slightest perceived insult, collapse emotionally under a mere pretense, weather a storm of verbal (or literal) slings and arrows, or have the nerve to look unspeakable horror in the eye. This trait is a measure of emotional fortitude, restraint and calm. It's ideal among leaders, soldiers, moderators and anyone whose movements are public consumption. Composure is vital to resisting social influence and pressure -- overt, covert or otherworldly.
- Composure is pivotal to resisting supernatural forms of emotional control; it acts as a veritable emotional defense.
- The trait is also vital to efforts among supernatural beings such as vampires and werewolves to restrain themselves when their blood is raised and frenzy threatens.
- Composure, along with Resolve, is a factor in determining your character's Willpower. (See p. 95.)
- Composure is also added to Dexterity to determine your character's Initiative at the beginning of a fight. (See p. 151.)
Meditation is a means of relaxation and reflection that is useful to counterbalance daily stresses and to restore one's emotional center. It helps to filter out extraneous influences and allows a person to re-dedicate herself to personal beliefs, values and aspirations. For game purposes, this practice has a powerful effect on maintaining emotional balance and bolstering one's moral resolve in the face of potential degeneration (the decline of one's Morality, as explained on p. 91).
Performing a successful meditation session requires at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted time in which your character turns her attention inward and tunes out the world. Each roll represents one such 30-minute segment, and meditation sessions can potentially run for several hours as the practitioner struggles with life's distractions and seeks her focus. Situational modifiers such as the character's mental and physical condition and environmental distractions can apply. Four successes are required for a rewarding effort. If successful, your character gains a +1 bonus on her next degeneration roll. This bonus lasts until that degeneration roll is made or until the character sleeps, whichever comes first. Once she awakens, she has to meditate again in order to reclaim the bonus. Once the degeneration roll has been made, she can meditate again for a bonus on her next roll, even if she hasn't slept yet.
- Dice Pool: Composure + Wits + equipment
- Action: Extended (4 successes; one roll represents 30 minutes)
- Suggested Equipment: Yoga mat (+1), prayer beads (+1), meditative music or relaxation tapes (+2), meditation room (+3)
- Possible Penalties: Loud noises (-1), nearby children (-1), uncomfortable environment (-1), lack of sleep (-1 to -2), lack of food (-1 to -3)
- Required By: Combat Art, Combat Marksmanship, Difficult to Ride, Iaido, Skald Cant, Spirit Ear, Tolerance for Biology, Trained Memory, Trained Observer, Trip Sitter, Vision
- Used By: Abyssal Resonance, Aim for the Dead, Alter Accuracy, Alter Aura, Armor of the Soul, Aura Cloak, Auspex, Awaken Hallow, Board, Casual Brutality, Chain-Breaker, Conceal Sympathy, Concentration, Control Gravity, Control Reactions, Counterspell Prime, Create Hallow, Dead Zone, Destroy Object, Detect Substance, Disguise Resonance, Dispel Magic, Dragons Call, Draught of Revelation, Dream Traveler, Dreamweaving, Duplicate Sympathy, Emotional Urging, Enervation, Entropy, Ephemeral Shield, Faerie Glade, False Fame, Fighting Blind, Fleeting Autumn, Fleeting Spring, Fleeting Summer, Fleeting Winter, Forensic Invisibility, Forge Godsend, Fortunes Protection, Frenzy, Gaias Hold, Hallow Bond, Halt the Flow, Healing Heart, Hours, Imbue Item Spell, Imposter, Incite Bedlam, Infectious Curse, Intrusion Warning, Ixidor, Judges Moon Gifts, Kinesthesia, Lamiai, Light Mastery, Love Spell, Lucidity, Meminisse, Memory Hole, Mind of the Unblinking Serpent, Moon, Network, New Threads, Nightsight, Nightsinger, Nimbus, Numinous Shield, Oath and Punishment, Oblation, Occlude Destiny, Omnivision, Oneiromancy, Orpheus Lament, Oubliette, Palsy, Passion Link, Perception, Perfect Timing, Persuasion Skill, Pierce Magical Shield, Pocket Realm, Potential, Present as Past, Price of Hubris, Primal Transfer, Probable Cause, Provoke Wrath, Psychic Reprogramming, Psychic Violation, Punishing Summer, Rage Gifts, Raw Creation, Read the Depths, Reflections, Restore Corpus Death Spell, Restore Corpus Spirit Spell, Road Master, Scorched Earth … further resultsCharacteristics
Attributes Traits Skills References Help/Start • Main Page • User Guide • Rules • Mini Character Sheets • Staff • Bestiary • Glossary