From Edge of Darkness Wiki
- Dice Pool: Dexterity or Intelligence + Medicine Skill + equipment
- Action: Extended (one success is required per Health point of damage suffered; each roll represents one minute of work (first aid) or one hour of work (long-term hospital treatment))
Application of the healing arts can help restore a patient's lost Health points. Treatment can occur in the field through first aid or in a doctor's clinic or ER. While medical treatment can stabilize a patient or alleviate his pain, it isn't usually capable of miraculous cures or recoveries. That requires time and rest on the patient's part, and prolonged care.
- Dexterity + Medicine Skill is rolled when a patient is dying while being cared for.
- Intelligence + Medicine Skill is rolled once a patient has been stabilized and can undergo long-term care.
Achieving sufficient successes (equal to the total, overall Health points lost by the patient) restores one Health point lost to bashing damage, in addition to any healing that the character already does under his own power. A patient may regain no more than one "extra" Health point by this means per day. Alternatively, a patient who's bleeding to death or in a coma is stabilized if one success is achieved on the roll. (The loss of Health points to aggravated damage each minute is stopped; see "Incapacitation,").
Round-the-clock, intensive care diminishes a patient's injuries, downgrading the nature of wounds by one degree. Thus, a lethal wound can be downgraded to bashing, and an aggravated wound can be downgraded to lethal. Such treatment can occur only in a hospital or other intensive-care facility. This kind of treatment always focuses on the worst of the patient's injuries first. Note that this treatment does not eliminate wounds. It simply minimizes them. A patient must heal downgraded injuries completely by himself or receive other treatment to eliminate them.
- An extended Intelligence + Medicine roll is made.
- Required By: Good Time Management, Hypnosis, Lab Section, Night Doctor Surgery, Order of the Oneirophysics, Telltale Murder
- Used By: Accelerate Healing, Acidic Spatter, Analyze Life, Banish Plague, Body Mastery, Channel Mana, Cleanse Body, Contagion, Corpse Flesh, Create Complex Phantasm, Dislodge the Soul, Einger Lodge, Enforced Silence, Eternal Autumn, Eternal Spring, First Aid Kit, Forensic Gaze, Grant Lifespan, Gustus, Hallow Victory, Heal Flora and Fauna, Healers Trance, Healing Heart, Hereditary Change, Holistic Awareness, Hone Anothers Form, Interconnections, Manufacture Drop, Manufacture Medication, Manufacture Salve, Manufacture Spray, Medicine Skill, Night Doctor Surgery, Organic Shield, Palsy, Puissant Skill, Pulse of the Living World, Purify Bodies, Regeneration, Rotting Flesh, Scourging Gifts, Self Healing, Self Purging, Shrink / Expand, Soul Mark, Tactics, Telltale Murder, Trigger Autonomic Function, Ultimate Honing, Undying Zeal, Uplift the Species, Warriors Moon Gifts, Wolfslayer Gifts