From Edge of Darkness Wiki
Characters possessing this Skill know how life on the streets works and are adept at surviving by its harsh rules. Streetwise characters can gather information, make contacts, buy and sell on the black market, and otherwise make use of the streetÕs unique resources. The Skill is also important for navigating urban dangers, avoiding the law, and staying on the right side of the wrong people.
- Possessed by: Criminals, gangsters, homeless people, private investigators, police officers
- Specialties: Black Market, Gangs, Rumors, Undercover Operations
Working the Black Market
When your character wants to turn to the black market to buy illegal items (or unload stolen goods), the Storyteller first determines how many successes are necessary to complete the task. That number depends on the size or value of the items sought. Buying or selling handguns might require only three successes, while dealing in stolen cars might demand six. Highly illegal, hard-to-find items such as military hardware might require eight or more successes. A successful series of rolls means your character finds someone able to trade, and a meeting is arranged. All your character has to do is show up with the money (or items to sell) and the deal is done.
- Dice Pool: Manipulation + Streetwise + equipment
- Action: Extended (2-10 success; each roll represents one day of searching the street)
- Dramatic Failure: Your character makes a serious mistake in choice of associate. He may deal with an undercover cop or federal agent, or the associate plans to rob him during the meeting.
- Failure: Your character has no luck finding an associate who can lead him to the goods.
- Success: Your character locates a potential seller or buyer and a meeting is arranged.
- Exceptional Success: Your character finds someone who will sell him quality materials at a cost below market value. It probably means the seller is trying to unload some very hot merchandise, but the price is excellent.
- Suggested Equipment: Pager (+1), cell phone (+1), gang or prison tattoos (+2), valuable barter items (guns, drugs) (+3)
- Possible Penalties: Unfamiliar neighborhood (-1 to -3), foreign country (-4), upscale neighborhood (-1), lack of phone (-1), inappropriate clothes (-2), "You look like a cop" (-3)
Same as "Working the Black Market" with Penalty equal to the weapon's damage rating + 5 difficulty (Ex. Pistol with Damage ●● would be a -7 penalty).
- See also Weapons FAQ
- Required By: Fence, Guild of the Sacred Journey, Right Bar
- Used By: Astral Entrance, Streetwise Skill, Synchronicity, Urban Gifts