From Edge of Darkness Wiki
Experience or training in "living off the land." Knowing where to find food and shelter, identify tracks, and how to endure harsh environmental conditions. The higher the skill the fewer resources needed to prevail in the wilderness. Note that Survival is not synonymous with Animal Ken. The former helps your character stay alive in the wilderness, living off the land with whatever supplies he has brought with him. The latter involves understanding animal behavior and interacting directly with animals.
- Possessed by: Explorers, hunters, soldiers, and survivalists.
- Specialties: Foraging, Navigation, Meteorology, and Shelter.
- Dice Pool: Wits + Survival + Equipment
- Action: Extended (five successes required; one roll represents one hour of searching)
- Suggested Equipment:Survival knife (+1), water purification tablets (+1), field survival guide (+2), field survival kit (+3)
- Possible Penalties: Arid locale (-2), frozen locale (-2), foreign environment (-1 to -3), lack of tools (-2)
Foraging for food and water is an extended action. Each roll represents an hour of diligent work. Five successes are required to gather enough food and water to sustain one person for a single day. One success still provides some amount of food and water, but fewer than five means that your character becomes progressively malnourished and vulnerable to deprivation and disease.
- Dramatic Failure:Your character makes an incorrect assumption regarding a food or water source, collecting plants or unclean water that makes him ill.
- Failure:Your character does not locate any sources of food or water in an hour of careful searching
- Success: Your character is on his way to gathering sufficient food to fulfill his needs for the day (apply successes to the total needed).
- Exceptional Success: Your character finds a small windfall of food or water that fulfills his daily needs -- and even provides some sustenance for the following day.
Any larger wind-powered craft that rely on the pilot’s understanding of waves, wind, and ropes make rolls with this skill instead of the Drive Skill.
- Required By: Magi of the Gilded Thorn, Outdoorsman
- Used By: Analyze Life, Astral Entrance, Awaken Hallow, Bread Alone, Control Gauntlet, Den Contracts, Dream Bridge, Eclipse Gifts, Eternal Autumn, Eternal Spring, Eternal Summer, Eternal Winter, Fever Gifts, Fighting Blind, Fireproofing, Follow Through, Forge Godsend, Four Directions, Goblin Fruit, Halcyon Gifts, Homeward Bound, Hone the Pack Spirit, Instantaneous Transformation, Insulate, Iron Facade, Metabolic Control, Metabolic Suspension, Multitudinous Form, Pain Harvest, Place of Power, Predator Gifts, Preserve Astral Space, Rage Gifts, Shapeshifting, Sorrow-Frozen Heart, Spirit Road, Suppress Hallow, Sustenance, Tactics, Territorial Familiarity, Touch of the Grave, Transform Base Life, Trigger the Lizard Brain, Verminous Metamorphosis, Visions of the Living World, Weather Gifts, Werewolf Cheat Sheet, Wild, Wound GiftsCharacteristics
Attributes Traits Skills References Help/Start • Main Page • User Guide • Rules • Mini Character Sheets • Staff • Bestiary • Glossary