From Edge of Darkness Wiki
- Possessed by: Actors, con artists, grifters, lawyers, politicians, teenagers
- Specialties: Con Jobs, Hiding Emotions, Lying, Misdirection, Spotting Lies
- Dramatic Failure: Your character utterly fails to conceal the truth from his subject. If he were any more transparent he'd be a window. No further Subterfuge efforts can work on that subject for the remainder of the scene.
- Failure: Your character's deception fails to convince his subject. If the Storyteller agrees, he can still try to lie his way out of the situation through Successive Attempts.
- Success: Your character pulls off the deception without a hitch.
- Exceptional Success: Not only does your character pull the wool over his subject's eyes, he wins the victim's trust and esteem.
- Dice Pool: Wits + Subterfuge Skill + equipment (impersonator) versus Wits + Subterfuge Skill (subject)
- Action: Contested
If your character attempts to pass himself off as someone else, roll Wits + Subterfuge in a contested action against the individual whom he tries to deceive. The subject gets the same roll. If your character has supporting documents (passport, driver's license) that help reinforce the disguise, apply a +1 to +3 modifier depending on the quality of the documentation (see below). If the subject knows or is familiar with the person being impersonated, apply a -2 to -5 modifier to your roll (-2 if familiarity is passing, -5 if it's intimate).
If rolls achieve the same number of successes, re-roll.
Example: Stoe attempts to bluff his way into a corporate office posing as a police officer. Stoe's Wits is 4 and Subterfuge is 2. He has a fake badge and ID that look good enough to pass a cursory inspection, adding a +2 modifier to the roll. The secretary at the front desk has a Wits of 3 and a Subterfuge of 1. Stoe wins the roll handily with three successes to her one, and the secretary hurriedly ushers the "detective" into the vice president's office.
- Dramatic Failure: Your character's disguise is badly flawed. Not only does the deception fail but the disguise must be abandoned altogether before any other attempt can be made.
- Failure: Your character does not pass himself off as someone else.
- Success: Your character manages to pass himself off as someone else.
- Exceptional Success: Your character so thoroughly convinces his subject that she actively vouches for his assumed identity.
- Suggested Equipment: Fake ID (+1), hair dye (+1), professional makeup kit (+2), full set of fake credentials (driver's license, social security card) (+3) * Possible Penalties: Lack of tools (-3 to -5), lack of appropriate clothes (-2 to -4), rushed disguise (-2), no credentials (-1 to -3)
- Required By: Anonymity, Duchy of the Icebound Heart, Hound Tribunal, Knighthood of Utmost Silence, Knights of the Widows Walk, Legacy of the Black Apple, Rigid Mask
- Used By: Alter Aura, Army of One, Aura Cloak, Bad Penny, Blessing, Breach the Vault of Memory, Conceal Sympathy, Contests and Games Rules, Corpse Mask, Deceptive Appearance, Denial of Senses, Disguise Resonance, Doppelganger, Enervation, Erase History, Eternal Now, Expanded Volume, Fabricate Fortune, False Signature, Fleeting Spring, Fleeting Summer, Fleeting Winter, Forbidden Fate, Goetic Struggle, Hallucination, Hedge Duelist, Implant Subliminal Message, Imposter, Incognito Presence, Invisible Object, Legacy of Power, Many Faces, Marionette, Memory Oath, Milestone Gifts, Mirrorskin, Moon, Network, Obtenebration, Occlude Destiny, Passion Link, Persuasion Skill, Phantom Thoughts, Physical Reconfiguration, Potential, Psychic Assault, Savage Fury, Sever the Sleeping Soul, Severed Sense, Shatter Space, Shield of Chronos, Shifting Sands, Shroud of Disinterest, Slay Own Aura, Soul Mark, Steal Lifespan, Subterfuge Skill, Subvert Ownership, Suppress Aura, Suppress Others Life, Suppress Own Life, Tactics, Tainted Moon Gifts, Tempus Fugit, Unseen Spy, Urban Gifts, Vampire House Rules, Vitae, Winds of ChanceCharacteristics
Attributes Traits Skills References Help/Start • Main Page • User Guide • Rules • Mini Character Sheets • Staff • Bestiary • Glossary