Character Creation Rules
From Edge of Darkness Wiki
|Actors/Actresses In Use|
Edge of Darkness is a New World of Darkness Chronicle.
- This means this is not an oWoD (or it's rules) game.
- This means this is not a God Machine Chronicle (or it's rules) game.
- Changeling is Open to new submissions.
- Mage is Open to new submissions.
- Vampire is Open to new submissions.
- Werewolf is Open to new submissions.
Global rules supercede any (erroneous) contradictory information presented elsewhere.
We play with adult themes and our Stories are for adults. Please no minor characters -- all characters (and players) should be at least 18, and appear at least 18. Mage and Vampire characters should be 21 or older.
Standard (Table-top) Rules
A player is limited to four characters total on the site. If a venue allows more than one character per player, we ask that you have been posting consistently for three months. Additionally, multiple characters can not be in same Family (Clan, Path, etc.) or Organization (Covenant, Order, etc.). Multiple characters played by a single player cannot work toward the same goal(s).
Characters may begin play with up to 30 Experience Points (XP). Please be sure to check the specific venue's House Rules for restrictions on how that XP may be spent:
Any XP not spent in character creation does not carry over.
- Note: Remember that Mortals (including Hunters, Sleepwalkers, etc.) do not have the option to sacrifice Morality for XP.
Supernatural Expenditures Limit
Only 45% of your character creation experience may be used to purchase supernatural advantages. These include Advantage (Blood Potency, Gnosis, Primal Urge, Wyrd, etc), Powers (Disciplines, Arcana, Gifts, Contracts, etc) and template Merits (Sanctum, Haven, Occultation, Arcadian Body, etc); basically, anything that a plain Jane mortal cannot purchase. When calculating this percentage, fractional numbers are rounded down. See the table at the top of the page.
Attributes which are left at 1 after distribution of character creation dots must remain at 1 for six months of play.
- Attributes left at 1 cannot be improved with bonus character creation Experience
- Only two Attributes can be left at 1
Merits which allow information or assistance from supernaturals of other venues/splats (Contacts: Werewolves, Allies: Vampires, etc), require approval from the appropriate ST. The same applies to Skill Specialties. Please check this wiki's contents for any Merit-specific House Rules listed on the applicable Merit's page.
Content should be reviewed before submitting your character.
Check to see if your desired avatar (play-by/faceclaim/et al) is currently used by an active character. Unless explicit permission is given by the player currently using that avatar, we do not "double up". Avatars should be real people/photos. Any avatar associated with a character consistently for two or more years is "retired".
This game has been running for some time, and it also shares a setting among the major venues. Sacramento history (as well as other major locations) is already in place/written. Please make sure that your history and background conforms to what's already been determined. Below is a listing of major locations and history that might affect your background.
- Consilia: Baltimore • Washington D.C.
- Domains: Cleveland • Houston • Washington D.C.
- Freeholds: Houston
We ask that players 'shelve' characters properly rather than just quitting posting for them. If a character isn't put away nice and neat, it is up to the Storytellers and Admin whether or not they will be available again for play. Shelving a character requires they be written out 'gracefully':
- All Scenes should be completed or at least exited in a manner that makes sense.
- Information for plots should be transferred to other characters so that Storytellers don't lose seeds and have to duplicate work.
- Family/Org/etc members should be notified in-character so there is not an in-character rationale vacuum for the character's absence.
It may seem like a lot, but we only ask you remove yourself from everything you got into without placing a burden on others.