From Edge of Darkness Wiki
The raw power of the mind. Cognitive capacity. The inherent capability to digest, comprehend and remember information -- and to learn more. Intelligence is a direct measure of how smart your character is. She may be dull-minded or have narrow-vision. She may be book-smart, or she may simply be able to grasp concepts, interpret situations and solve problems quickly. Intelligence is valued by planners, theorists, scholars, white-collar employees and leaders.
Memorizing and Remembering
Committing something such as a name or a facial feature to memory can require an Intelligence + Composure roll, as can recalling that information later. The more calm your character is the more likely it is that she retains the knowledge. If the information is familiar to your character or referenced often, no roll is required unless she's nervous or under pressure (Storyteller's discretion). If the information is brief or simple, such as a license-plate number, no modifiers may apply. The Storyteller may impose bonuses or penalties under various circumstances. Memorizing or recalling something at one's leisure offers a +1 to +3 bonus. A common name such as "Dave" is easy to memorize (+3 ). Extensive information, details studied quickly or distractedly, or unusual or strange facts such as foreign names are harder to remember (-1 to -5). Features witnessed hours ago are easy to recall (+1), while those observed days, weeks or years ago are harder to conjure up (-1 to -5).
Storytellers can make memory rolls on players' behalf so the veracity of information called forth is never certain. Another option is to forego rolls if a player remembers (or does not remember) the details.
- Dice Pool: Intelligence + Composure
- Suggested Equipment: Book or television show related to the topic (+1), photograph taken at the event (+2)
- Possible Penalties: Extensive information (-3 to -5), details studied quickly or distractedly (-1 to -2), unusual or strange facts (-1 to -2), items observed days, weeks or years ago (-1 to -5)
- Action: Reflexive
- Dramatic Failure: The information is memorized or remembered incorrectly, to be determined by the Storyteller.
- Failure: In one ear and out the other, or your character draws a blank.
- Success: The details are at your character's disposal.
- Exceptional Success: Your character has access to not only what's important, but to related information on the topic or details of where and when the facts were memorized.
- Required By: Atavism, Debate Style: Reason, Demolisher, Eternal Echoes, Glyph Lore, Mind of the Devouring Worm, Mind of the Inscrutable Hydra, Mind of the Unblinking Serpent, Murder Expert, Telltale Murder, Vision
- Used By: Academics Skill, Activate Enchanted Item, Alter Conductivity, Alter Efficiency, Alter Integrity, Alter Size, Analyze Enchanted Item, Analyze Life, Analyze Spirit, Animate Homunculus, Annihilate Extraordinary Matter, Arcade, Arcane Sight, Arm Ghost, Army of One, Artifice, Astral Beacon, Astral Entrance, Augury, Auspex, Autonomous Servant, Autopilot, Backbite, Banish Plague, Bestow Ghostly Sight, Bestow Levitation, Bind Spirit Rite, Board, Book of Metal, Boundary Stone Rite, Bundle Enchantments, Call Shadow Person, Carthian Law, Centering the Cairn, Circuit Television, Co-Location, Construct Homunculus Form, Contagion, Contests and Games Rules, Control Gravity, Control Traffic, Control Waking, Copy Grimoire, Corpse Mask, Corpse Unmasking, Craftmans Eye, Crafts Skill, Create Complex Phantasm, Create Fetish, Create Fetish Tattoo, Create Sunlight, Curse Object, Curse of Electrical Rebellion, Dark Matter, Delusions of Grandeur, Demolitions Kit, Denial of Senses, Destroy Bindings, Dimensional Axis, Directed Havoc, Discern Composition, Disenchant Item, Disguise Spell, Dislodge the Soul, Dispel Magic, Divination, Dominate, Doppelganger, Double Shape, Dream Contracts, Dreamweaving, Duplication, Eagle-Eye View, Eclipse Gifts, Eidetic Memory, Einger Lodge, Electromagnetic Pulse, Electronic Eye, Eleventh Question, Encyclopedic Knowledge, Enhance Toxin, Entropy, Ephemeral Image, Ephemeral Reckoning, Erase History, Errata, Errata: Mage, Eternal Spring, Eternal Winter, Evolutionary Shift, Fabricate Fortune, Fantasia, Finder, Fleeting Spring, Fleeting Winter, Fold Object, Forge Destiny, Friction Knife, Gauntlet, Geomancer … further resultsCharacteristics
Attributes Traits Skills References Help/Start • Main Page • User Guide • Rules • Mini Character Sheets • Staff • Bestiary • Glossary