Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Player Run Plots (PRP)

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

There's been a few questions about the PRP tag, which means 'Player Run Plot'. Basically, it's a small plot, run by a player rather than a venue Storyteller. Anyone can do it, and we'd love for you to!
    - PRPs should be submitted to the venue HST for approval prior to being opened
    - PRPs generally earn XP for the character in the venue, with the rationale that running a plot takes away from IC posting opportunities
    - PRPs should focus on minor events that aren't going to wreck the venue, or city, and should be self contained.
    - PRPs should require minimal (hopefully zero) oversight from venue staff
    - PRPs should have a limited cast (2-5 player characters)

So that's what a PRP is. How does one construct and run one?

The biggest trap in play by post that Stories fall into is running too long. With that in mind, I've personally found that the best small plots run between 3-7 Scenes. Remember, also, that a thread is a Scene, and should encompass a logical unit of time (an hour) or a location. A thread should not be representative of an event in it's entirety.

With that in mind, I'm going to break down one that I just ran. Not to toot my own horn, but because it's fresh in my mind First, the roadmap of threads, then I'll break it down:

Plot Dispensing & Planning
    * [Crocodile Tears] Setting the Stage
    * [Crocodile Tears] Reconnecting at Asylum
    * [Crocodile Tears] Finessing a Contact

Exploration & Initial Attempt at Resolution
    * [Crocodile Tears] Pruning the weeds
    * [Crocodile Tears] Applying the Pesticide
    * [PRP] [Crocodile Tears] Contact

Regrouping
    * [Crocodile Tears] Launching Pad
    * [Crocodile Tears] Dip It In A Dream

Resolution
    * [Crocodile Tears] Rocky Mountain After Hours Club
    * [Crocodile Tears] First Rule of Chocolate Club
    * [C Tears] Midnight in the Garden of Blood & Fudge

As you can see, it ran over the Scene target, but 'Contact' was an Allies Glimpse, and the insertion of a new character (Peter Baldwin) added to the regrouping phase. Also, the finale split into multiple Scenes because the party split up, but they ran concurrently. Note that even with a fairly simple plot, the scenes and time dilated substantially:
    - Plot opened March 23 and finished June 23rd (three months)
    - 10 Scenes, not including the Allies or Comms threads
    - Simple plot: Find out about A Thing, Handle A Thing (Find a mortal npc, stop him from doing what he's doing)
    - 3 NPCs, not including the Plot Dispenser.
    - Trap door: higher level characters in Organization could have cleaned up mess

Plot Dispensing & Planning
    - Characters were hooked in by their Organizational level ties (Invictus)
    - Characters were vetted for similar abilities (xp level, mix of powers)
    - Carrots and sticks were presented with a bare bones presentation of the problem
    - Characters then had dialog about how to approach a solution

Initial Attempt at Resolution
    - Initial investigation phase
    - Unplanned event (Vampire Frenzy) absorbed

Regrouping
    - Characters absorb information, apply information to bare bones outline
    - Characters allowed to advance through Allies usage. Allow characters to advance, even if something went wrong, or they didn't approach the problem as expected.
    - Characters allowed to add new face to roster. If a player drops, let them add a new face. Or tone down the confrontation.

Resolution
    - Characters resolve problem
    - Unplanned events (Peter's absence, Jennifer's Torpor) absorbed
    - This plot could have been closed with narration before Peter Baldwin set the fire. "You burn the building. Take Jennifer Hazelton home. Thug the guy that got away." So even though it continued, it had a defined endpoint. Don't be afraid to use narration.
    - Secondary plot accounted for by insertion of body into van, stolen Priscus, and possible Breach witness

Final thoughts:
    - Have fun. It should be fun for the director as well as the actors. I wrote a Glimpse for pure LOLs to entertain myself.
    - Present the Story in a way that motivates the characters.
    - Design a Story that includes elements of splat specific conflict. Ex. Will the Masquerade be Breached?
    - Design a Story that can be resolved Social, Mental, and Physical characters. If it's weighted, present that up front so that characters don't feel useless.

Please, feel free to ask questions! PRPs are something we'd all like to see more of!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Bump.

Seen it in Changeling. Seen it in Mage.

When's someone gonna let their fangs drop and give it a go in Requiem?
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

3. Likes Brownlee liked this post

Only after mid November but I already have something brewing in the back of my mind, hopefully with the right ingredients for a small world of darkness plot.

5. Likes Brownlee, Yumyumcrow, Forn Clakes liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

...for a small world of darkness plot.
    An small infant world of darkness wod plot?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I'd love to see more PRPs. Browlee is running one for VtR, I think Vassagon & Whisper ought to think about it, too

Wait until I am off of deployment and I will be all over that shyt like a spider-monkey humping a football...

9. Likes Origins liked this post

/action thinks about it...

I've just about finished traumatizing changelings with my subject imaginings. Now Ima try doing that to some mageys. Here's hoping!

12. Likes Origins, Teeramus, Sirith, West, Forn Clakes liked this post

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes
      Rage singing, no work with Ozzy

I've just about finished traumatizing changelings with my subject imaginings. Now Ima try doing that to some mageys. Here's hoping!
    Should be easier, mages are less used to trauma then changelings

Since apparently your own character cannot be run in a PRP but can be a catalyst for it I've a thought. Morgan is the go-to gal in the Freehold for courier work. How about having her test a few folks to see if she is willing to offer them "jobs" doing courier work? A contest to see who can get from Point A to Point B the fastest, lets say during rush hour, with a fragile package intact?

Not exactly plot related but it would help give some unemployed, athletic Changelings a source of income.

If it helps justify Morgan's connections, I'll buy up some Allies in Judicial or Criminal or something...

Though I wonder if this would conflicts with the new post limits?

14. Likes Cayce, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Taking part in a PRP as a character does count towards limit. However, I believe that running a PRP and using your character to hand out plot does not count. They are only there as a facilitator and should not be used in every aspect of the plot, ie. Every scene.

16. Likes Origins liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
+ Reply to Thread