Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
FAQ & Your Questions!

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

How Do I get Started?

The diagram to the right should walk you through the process. There's a lot of reading, to be sure -- but this is a forum play by post game. Reading is kind of a thing

Many pages (such as Character Creation Rules) have links to more pages (venue specific character creation rules) that should also be followed. All of this ensures that your character submission should be entirely easy and problem-free.

FAQ continues in the next post!
    Last edited by West; Jan 13th, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

How does the site work?
    EoD is a play-by-post site. Interaction takes place on the forums, via posts. It's slower than Chat, but more detailed, and allows players to come and go as they please to interact.

Is there chat?
    Yep. We mainly use it to haze newbies. Mostly kidding. It's more of a hangout, but, players are welcome to do chat Scenes and transcribe them to the forum. Note that these will generally be social interaction, and that Storytellers won't be involved. You can jump into chat here.

How much XP do I start with?
    30XP

How much XP will I earn?
    Our scale is 1-10XP per month, so the average is 5. Every Head Storyteller awards XP for their venues at their discretion, based on player participation.

Is this PvE (Player vs Environment) or PvP (Player vs Player) ?
    Yes. PvP is allowed.

What's the normal pace of play?
    We're structured around an expectation of 2-3 posts per week. If a character is not posted for within 48 hours, other characters can move on without them.

What rules do you use?
    We use the table top New World of Darkness rules. This means no oWoD. This means no God Machine. This means no Mind's Eye Theatre. There are line item exceptions here and there, but please expect to play by the table top mechanics.

What if I've never played nWoD?
    You should probably go buy the books and read them. We'd love to have you, but Storytellers juggle a lot: delivering plot, handling Scene questions, character approvals, character modifications, awarding XP, ... you get the idea. They simply do not have the time to personally teach you how to play. They're happy to help, but you should have a fundamental understanding and knowledge of the core material. Also, since we do allow PvP, other players are free to exploit your ignorance

When is the next reboot?
    We have no idea, because we don't do them. EoD's setting has been in continual play/evolution since late 2008, and provides us with a rich setting of history and background to play off of.

Is explicit content allowed?
    We're gonna fucking gore it up, you goddamn pansy ass bitch. And profanity is OK, too. Graphic sexual situations are handled with 'fade to black' in general forum areas, but rumor has it that players can write whatever they want in private Social Groups where no one else has to read it.

How many characters can I play at once?
    The number of characters is limited to THREE total. Most venues restrict to only 1 PC at a time, so that means 1 vampire, 1 mage, and 1 changeling. Those that allow multiple characters in the same venue ask that you play a character first for three to six months before a second is allowed.

Is there a Promethean/Exalted/Demon/etc game?
    Yes and No. We don't officially support any games besides Changeling, Hunter, Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf. However, unofficially, side games can be run in the Social Groups, but do not have top-level technical support. If players want to get together and put one together, game on.

The Wiki! Where can I get started?
    Start here-Rules. That gives you an overview of the whole site rules. Then you can go to character creation rules to learn how to build a character. Each venue has its own house rules that are helpful, which can be found here

How do I become a Storyteller?
    That is fantastic that you are interested in the role! Currently all of the head ST positions are occupied, but assistants are always appreciated. Talk to the storyteller that you want to assist their venue with. Many of our current head STs were assistants, who took over the position when the head stepped down. The best way to show interest and ability is through Player Run Plots.

Where can I talk about my character concept(s)?
    Changeling Character Creation
    Mage Character Creation
    Vampire Character Creation

Well, I'm not sure if it's stated elsewhere, but I wanted to let people know that it's OK to ask questions.

Especially if you're new.

If you have a question about continuity, or how to handle a Scene or task, or etiquette... ask us Ask your ST, ask in Chat, or post a question here. A few out-of -character questions can save you a ton of in-character headache

We're usually happy to answer questions. We all love this game, and talking about it... but if you don't ask... we can't rewind time if you goof in-character.

Just wanted to make sure it was said
    Last edited by West; Jan 13th, 2017 at 03:23 PM.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

F
    FranklinRPer

So, maybe this is explained somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Why are Ventrue optionally allowed Vigor instead of Animalism? I'm not arguing this point, I'm just insanely curious if there's some nifty story reason behind it.

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes
      Rage singing, no work with Ozzy

What can Allies merit do? Sorry, I'm just a little unclear on this. I know some can be used for Black Market weapons but I'm unclear on what the others are good for.

Like, for example, Judicial Allies?

I ask 'cause I'm debating 1 of 2 directions from my crazy little 'ling.

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

May I be the dead-tired grumpy ST that I am right now and suggest re-reading RAW?

Basically, Allies are defined best in the terms of what they CAN'T do. You can't use them as a general ear-to-the-ground info sources - that's Contacts. You can't use them as direct combat support - that's Retainers. Anything else inside their sphere of influence goes. Need to make a parking ticket disappear? Check out someone's record? Access to a criminal investigation? Put a gang you don't like under more scrutiny? Allies (Police) are your solutions. Need someone to put you into contact with a drug-dealer whose name you know? Allies(Street) or Allies(Criminals).

Basically, they are there to get stuff done but only to a certain limit (once again, not Retainers).

7. Likes Origins liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

There are also great examples given:

One dot (minor favors)
    - as being spared a parking ticket if alliance is among police
    - being allowed to see an article before it goes to press if alliance is among reporters.

Three dots (considerable favors)
    - building permit 'going missing' at City Hall
    - a strike resolution being wrapped up early among union leaders.

Five dots (dangerous and even overtly criminal favors)
    - a stock being sabotaged on Wall Street
    - answers to an exam being shared by a university professor.

9. Likes Origins liked this post

So, maybe this is explained somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Why are Ventrue optionally allowed Vigor instead of Animalism? I'm not arguing this point, I'm just insanely curious if there's some nifty story reason behind it.
    IIRC, it's been decided because of the decidedly low Ventrue population in the Vampire venue, to try and give them more appeal. So it's a purely OOC reason, and there's no story reason behind it (that I'm aware of, at least).
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes
      Rage singing, no work with Ozzy

Thank you Matamune & West!

That does clear up things by a bit. Allies seem...less useful to Morgan with her current focus. Academics might help but I can't validate the connection.

I still might buy up some Allies but it probably won't be the main focus.

I remember a couple of weeks (months ?) back, there was a talk about whether or not body armor was legal or not. I don't know which conclusion the ST have come to.

I ask because I'm depicting Miach as customarily wearing a thin kevlar vest (Core WOD, p170), and would rather know now if it's legal or not, instead of during gameplay. Thanks !
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

C
    Cross

Its legal in California so long as you aren't a felon.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread