Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
51 - 60
DISPLAYED
Movies

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 6 of 16 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
    Angel of Darkness
    M

Red Dawn

Saw it a couple of days ago and... meh. The long shelf life, and major post production re-editing was very obvious. I got up to go to the restroom rather than hold it till the end. It was nice to watch for the nostalgia because of how much I love the original. So it's worth checking out. Or you could just watch the original...

Moon Rise Kingdom

This is late but I just caught it on PPV last week. It's next to impossible to review it and give it justice. i just wanna say, if you don't like most art movies, you'll probably like this one. If you do like art movies you LOVE this one. Check it out.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Butter

This is a pretty fun movie if you're into satire. It's got that Best In Show vibe (it's about competitive butter carving), and Olivia Wilde gets to showcase her comedic skills. It also reminded me of the super dysfunctional Royal Tenenbaums, in that whole no-hope-for-humanity sort of way.

Worth watching -- NOT kid friendly.

blah blah blah WHAT blah blah blah
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Resident Evil: Retribution

Not sure what to say... it's a RE installment. Honestly... I didn't like it as much as the others. The 'plot' seemed as tacked on as can be for this series, and aside from 1 or 2 action sequences, it felt a bit sloppy (as sloppy as stylized posing and wire work can be). There were notable absences (Ali Larter) from where Afterlife ended and this one immediately picks up that were never even attempted to be explained. I felt like I was getting served up another helping of Milla-Jovovich-Wears-Leather-And-Plays-Equilibrium-With-Zombies-You-Know-You-Like-It; so much so, that the viewer is expected to accept anything. I suppose if one *is* watching this, they've put up with the first installments, so, maybe that's justified. I couldn't help but feel like I was watching Underworld Awakening: a series that was a bit long in the tooth and made just to get another round of cash out of fanboys.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Hobbit 5 out of 5.

Saw it yesterday and I can say it's worth every 172 minute of it and every cent of the ticket.

Good - The book adaptation was sublime, they add a little more story than just the usual Hobbit added to the movie but it articulates nicely. The music, the landscapes and the special effects all very good. If you enjoyed LotR you will enjoy the Hobbit, perhaps even a little more. Gollum is still awesome and Bilbo is even more awesome!

Bad - there probably is something bad but the movie keeps you locked in your sit from minute 1, I found nothing worth complaining.

Take your kids if they are 13+

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

The Words

The first thing I thought was... just how many movies has Bradley Cooper played a writer in? I like the guy, it just felt a lot like the same character from Limitless. Come to think of it, the whole movie felt like A Murder of Crows meets Dear John.

Dennis Quaid plays a writer talking about a book he wrote, which is about an aspiring writer (Cooper) who finds a manuscript and publishes it as his own. The book is a hit, but the author appears to confront Cooper. The author is played by Jeremy Irons, who is absolutely fantastic. The movie's saving grace is his performance alone. Through Irons, we learn the history of the manuscript. Olivia Wilde (mmmm MMMMM) plays an aspiring writer who comes on to Quaid and wants to know more about the book. Through their interaction, we discover that Quaid's book might be an autobiography and that Cooper's character might be himself.

Note the word "might". This is part of that growing trend in movies to leave the "maybe... maybe not" endings which I despise. I'm sure some might see it as artistic, or some existential bullshit, but all I really see is a lack of commitment to the story. It's as if they're afraid to make the decision and be criticized for making the wrong choice... so they leave it up to the viewer. It's also kind of trite and done (see Murder of Crows) and it wasn't much of a 'reveal'... still, Irons and Wilde kept me watching. What I was really hoping for was that it *was* an autobiography and Wilde would be revealed to be the daughter of the original author, and her seduction of Quaid would end in a righteous murder. Oh, well.

I suppose it's kid friendly, but it'll bore the crap out of any kid. I give it a C+ to a B-.

Dillon Connery
    Ixidor
    Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Potency •••••
    Protean • (Down in Elysium)
    Presence ••• (Disarming)
    Striking •• (Boyish Good Looks)
    Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••
    IXIDOR
    Adrian Isaacs

Gnosis ••
    Presence •••• (Center of Attention)
    Striking •• (Eccentric)
    Fame ••• (Guitar Hero)
    Silver Ladder ••
    Sacramento ••

As much "meh" as there was in your Review, @West , I can still say that it made me want to give the film a chance. I've nothing against Bradley Cooper, but Jeremy Irons, Olivia Wilde, and Dennis Quaid in one movie will make me sign up for it just by themselves

I know what you mean about the Viewer's Decision endings, though. The only thing that is more worn out than that is the "Protagonist and Antagonist are actually teh same guy!!1!" formula that was so popular a few years back. Not that any of those movies were bad... I just got tired of seeing it.

But... more on The Hobbit!

I've watched it twice, now. If someone were to ask if I wanted to go with them to watch it tomorrow, I would. The 3D is done extremely well, by the way. It's noticeable, but it's not gimmicky. It really is done in such a way that helps draw you into the film. Sometimes, it's spectacular. Sometimes, it's really subtle. I liked that. 3D film is maturing in its execution.

I really want to point out how well Gollum and a few of the named Orcs/Goblins are animated. Of course, Gollum was always an amazingly rendered deformed-Andy-Serkis face, but both of the actors that are also rendered as CG baddies are clearly identifiable as the actor that does the voice. It is clearly delivered as a complete performance, and I thought that was really impressive. And very fun to watch.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

As much "meh" as there was in your Review, @West , I can still say that it made me want to give the film a chance. I've nothing against Bradley Cooper, but Jeremy Irons, Olivia Wilde, and Dennis Quaid in one movie will make me sign up for it just by themselves .
    Oh, it's definitely watchable, just not a keeper/re-watch worthy.

Re: The Hobbit.

If you have read the book, try to not be disapointed, if you have read the Simirillion, try to not be disapointed and angry. As a Tolkien fan, I love the books, and while the movie has merit (as a movie) it needs to be viewed as a slightly different story than the books.

And personally the last five minutes before the credits were unnecessry imho.

For the sake of "as a movie only" It was good but there were parts that just seemed too long and unnecessary. I understand what he's trying to do, but the whole Necromancer pull feels very D&D esque for me. :/

It's good, I'll probably see the second one but I might wait until it's out on DVD first.
    "My father says that almost the whole world is asleep.
    Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to.
    He says that only a few people are awake,
    and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Might contain spoilers don't open unless you have seen The Hobbit

S
    Selena

So, Magic Mike....

Yup I watched it. I watched it because my coworkers strongly recommended it. I assume for the obvious. It was a very typical plot line to say the least. Walking on top of the world, everything looks like it’s at their fingertips. Then there’s the darker side of it all, of course. There is, however, some quick explicit shots in the film.

One of my disappointment in this movie is they used a few really over done songs like It’s Raining Men, Like a Virgin and Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy; despite having a twist on them.

This movie had some big stars though. Channing Tatum of course, along with Matt Bomer, Matthew McConaughey (who sings at the end) and Joe Manganiello I nearly didn’t recognize Big Sexy, Kevin Nash. (Yeah that’s right, I’ve watched some wrestling in my time.)

I’d say it was a fun flick. By flick I mean I’m glad I didn’t go to the movie in the theatre. But at least worth a rental… well, for those of you that enjoy this type of movie haha.

So for what it's worth, there's my little ditty lol

I think the teddy bear may win this one

Page 6 of 16 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread

Members who have read this thread : 63

You do not have permission to view the list of names.