Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
Movies

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 16 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... Last

Dillon Connery
    Ixidor
    Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Potency •••••
    Protean • (Down in Elysium)
    Presence ••• (Disarming)
    Striking •• (Boyish Good Looks)
    Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••
    IXIDOR
    Adrian Isaacs

Gnosis ••
    Presence •••• (Center of Attention)
    Striking •• (Eccentric)
    Fame ••• (Guitar Hero)
    Silver Ladder ••
    Sacramento ••

^ Seconded!

^^Thirded.

The Hulk is pure awesome. 'Nuff said.

Gallows

Cabin in the Woods

This one comes a little bit late, as I'm pretty sure that Cabin in the Woods is out of theatres right now, but you should find a way to see it anyway. It's another Joss Whedon film, and honestly? I might like it a little more than the Avengers, in some ways. It's incredibly hard to talk about without spoiling, but let me say this: It is about five college aged kids who go out for a weekend at a cabin in the woods. If you've ever seen a horror movie before, you know where this is going...but you don't. It's awesome, and anyone who considers themselves a fan of the horror genre needs to see this movie. Plus, it's got a few actors I personally like, such as Chris Hemsworth (Thor!), Bradley Whitford, the guy who plays Topher in Dollhouse...good stuff.

Not kid friendly, by the way. Not at all.

S
    Selena

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

It was really more than I imagined. I hadn’t quite gotten through the book yet, but still wanted to see it in theatres.

I have to say, the person who researched the historical information that was somewhat obscure did a brilliant job. There was more action than I thought there would be. A lot of clever things that happened in that movie that could very well be done in that time period. It wasn't really gory, but the vampires in the movie certainly had a different take on them.

What I really enjoyed were the actors in the movie. Truly believable and really sucked me in. Some of them you may have seen in bit roles here and there, but there didn’t seem to be any big names unless you count Rufus Sewell.

Note: The guy who played Lincoln, Benjamin Walker, looked like a young Liam Neeson at times in the movie.

I wouldn't say it's really kid friendly, but perhaps young adults would like it

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Spider-Man

Great movie. It had a little bit of a darker, grittier feel to it than the Toby movies which translated directly into "more believable" -- yet at the same time was more canon. Win-win.

The fight scenes were phenomenal. They were able to translate the comics onto the screen with a lot of very dynamic, acrobatic moves that are really Spider-Man's signature.

It was a smart movie. Lizard-Man opened his mouth and smelled things by tasting the air. Spidey needed overhangs to use his webs -- he wasn't just flying anywhere and everywhere.

If I had one nitpick, it would be that his Spider-Sense was inconsistent. They played it up at the beginning, but there were a few times later on that you would have thought it would trigger. Oh, and the football and goalpost. You'll see what I mean. Two nitpicks.

I liked the movie. A lot. The actor really nailed it, conveying the glimmers of self-pity, anger, and self-entitlement that Spider-Man struggled with early on without it feeling angsty or trite. They packed the origin into the film without it dominating it, and without it feeling rushed, and still told a full story.

I'll probably see it again in theaters for the stunning web-slinging scenes -- a TV will never do those justice. Do yourself a favor: spring for IMAX. The razor clarity really, really made it immersive.

I'd call it marginally kid-friendly, mainly for violence. 5 out of 5.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Selena , West , thanks for those reviews. I've been unsure what to make of them both and if I should waste money on seeing them. Now, I just might

Zack Griffiths
    Invictus Gangrel

Blood Potency 1
    Aspect of the Predator
    Presence 2
    (quietly stares, speaks calmly)

Huh, no one has reviewed Men In Black 3 yet. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

I saw MiB 3 awhile back, and I would have gone to see it again had my wife not given birth four days after we saw it. It was really good.

For those of you unfamiliar, Men in Black is a government organization that oversees alien activities on earth. Agent J, played by Will Smith, is the agency's best, and his partner just disappeared due to some time travel shenanigans. There's a freaky alien big bad who wants revenge for something that happened in the 60's, and goes back in time and kills Agent J's partner, Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). J goes back in time to chase the bad guy, and meets 60's Agent K (Josh Brolin, who does an excellent job vibing as T.L.J. but younger). J experiences a little bit of culture shock, but overcomes it, learns a little bit about himself and his partner, and then fixes time.

As a fan of the franchise, I can say that it keeps to the feel of the previous two movies: a little bit of buddy cop, a little campy sci-fi, and a large splash of comedic, with some action scenes thrown in. The characters all feel real (they were all experienced actors, not the children that seem to be in all the popular movies lately (I'm looking at you, Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games)). The dialogue is excellent, and there's some pretty awesome twists at the end.

If you are a serious moviegoer that appreciates movies for the art, then this will not be your slice of cake. If you want to have fun and laugh and maybe feel a tender moment for a few bucks, then you can go and see this. I loved it, but it feels like it was made for me.

It was kid friendly for the most part. There are some ugly, kind of gross aliens, a little spider thing that kills people by shooting spines, and there are aliens that get shot with space guns, you also see dead bodies who's methods of demise were fairly obvious. There's some racist stuff that Will Smith's character deals with in the 60's, and the director had a lot of fun mocking some of the pop culture in the 60's as well. If your kids can handle all this, then they should be fine.

I give it 5 out of 5, but I can admit it was made for a pretty specific audience.
    Destiny has two ways of crushing us - by refusing our wishes, and by fulfilling them. - Henri Frederic Amiel

8. Likes Teeramus liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

The Dark Knight Rises

This is a difficult movie to review without gushing. It is easily my favorite of the Nolan DK trilogy. Yes, I went there. Move aside, Joker.

The movie successfully picks and chooses from elements of the Batman mythos and weaves them all together in good story, and it very much is a "third of three" rather than a "the first two made money, let's make a third". The movie is very well paced, is thoughtful, and has plenty of action. The special effects are typical, but nothing groundbreaking -- but done well, and are a part of the movie rather than trying to dominate it.

There is much more to Bruce Wayne/Batman in this movie. One of my gripes of the second movie was that a lot of what makes Batman appealing -- his inner demons, etc -- was missing and it was more a showcase for The Joker. In this, he is deconstructed, and it feels more natural than earlier attempts.

Catwoman... is fabulous. Anne Hathaway really brings her larger-than-life persona to the role, and it works. It's not Princess Diaries in black leather. She's the excellent complement/foil to Batman that she's meant to be, and she isn't trite or gimmicky.

Bane is difficult to go into without spoilers. Suffice it to say, a very fair treatment was given to the "Knightfall" saga.

Kid-friendly? Marginally. Violence aplenty, but it's not explicit.

The underlying social commentary was great, as well, and the whole movie just worked really well for me. This is a movie I could easily watch again, and enjoy just as much. Kudos to Nolan. This is 5 out of 5, and really elevates the Dark Knight trilogy into more than the sum of it's parts.

Bonus Round!
    I saw the teaser trailer for Man of Steel. It's... not what I expected. It looks like they've taken a cue from the past few successful movies and given it a grittier, more real feel. Mind you, it was only 10-11 cut scene montages that only had a single scene of "Superman" proper, in flight, with Crowe/Jor-El's voice overlayed, but I've gone from wtf to optimistic.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

C
    Cross

Did you see it at a midnight release?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

11:15a today. I'd rather have my choice of seating than be 'first' I'm kind of an audiophile, which is one of the big reasons I spring for IMAX versions, and I'm super picky about being 'center'.

Page 3 of 16 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread

Members who have read this thread : 63

You do not have permission to view the list of names.