Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
Books

(PrP) Tunnel Trip Telegraph
Jul 16, 2021 - Aug 18, 2021
(DiT) Winners only
Apr 25, 2022 - May 25, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

That's a pain I can recognize. My bookcases are loaded with books I -still- haven't read, years after purchasing them on discount. I was cleaning out my locker at work recently and found a page of ISBNs and titles of books that looked worthy of purchasing. It was from 2002. Never did get a chance to pick any of them up...

Vauban

I know the feeling as well. My bookshelf is packed with so many books I have to start assembling Leaning Towers of Pisa made of the things.

At least I can open up my own mini-library at some point

T
    Thorfred

I'd like to say some that are not yet mentioned. I too am a Tolkien, Pratchett and even J.K. Rowling enthusiast (sp?), and own Belgariad among many others. These I did not see yet on the lists (though it was a quick skimming):

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time -series
    Ursula Le Guin: Tales from the earthsea -series(mage players could love these. Underworld, spirits and magic handled in a very inspirating way)
    Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman et all: Dragonlance chronicles
    Terry Brooks: Shannara -series (not sure how many there are, but I've loved what I have read so far)

There are many others, but this list contains over 50 books, so maybe it is enough for now =D

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)
    Twist Scenes

Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman et all: Dragonlance chronicles
    Oh- their trilogy with the 3 worlds (elf, human and gnome) that were seperate but connected through the dream was pretty good. I can't remember the name now. I really liked the first one and the second. The last one wasn't as awesome but still pretty good. The gnomes rocked the mostest.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Weis and Hickman. Hmmmmm.

I think I actually like their concepts and plots, but not their writing or characters. The symbiotic mages of the Darksword trilogy were nifty, as was the whole Rose of the Prophet pantheon (Auda ibn Jad rawkz).

Brooks, to me, has always been a professional writer. That is, he's prolific, and formulaic. Which is a shame, since the beginning books of Scions of Shannara were most awesome, but fell off into mediocrity (for me).

To some extent, Eddings became just as guilty of this, but his character dialog has always been such a pleasure to read, I'll give him a pass.

I also envy both of you, jm & delta
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Get a part time job at Borders. You could work 4 hours a week and get a 33% discount.

I met Terry Brooks once, nice guy. His daughter was an event coordinator at our store. She scheduled an autograph signing and ordered--no foolin'--at least 25 copies of each of his Shannara books--thats a lot of books. We ended up having about twenty people show up, and we had a lot of unsold stock afterwards. Hundreds of copies.
    His daughter was not long for our store. But again, he was a pretty nice guy. I don't read fantasy though so his visit was completely lost on me.

Jmiland1 uses Thread Necromancy! It's Super Effective!

So what are folks reading right now?

I'm currently finishing James Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy, about America from 1958-73. They're gritty crime novels about how all of the tumult of the time is tied together--the FBI, Mafia, JFK's assassination, anti-Castro renegades, the CIA, Howard Hughes, heroin sales in Vietnam, the list goes on. They probably aren't for everyone but I'm loving them. If you're interested the books are American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand, and Blood's A Rover. I'm trying hard not to get character concepts from them.

Aaron van Valen
    Aaron van Valen

Dragon Lord

Oh nice thread

I just finished Kim Harrison's For A Few Demons More from the Rachel Morgan serie. I really love those books

Right now I'm reading Charlaine Harris's Dead to the World. Are there more people here who read the True Blood books, and think there actually happens more in the tv-series then in the books? It could be because I'm halfway the book-serie... no spoilers please
    Not a native speaker - always aiming to improve

Aaron van Valen
    Aaron van Valen

Dragon Lord

Mmmh, I posted after only reading Jmiland1's post, now read some more:

I read the books of Terry Goodkind as well, my totally favorite all times!! The Law of Nines is a bit strange but promises more yet to come!! And there is a youtube clip which announces another Richard and Kahlan novel....awesome...

I have 5 parts of the Robert Jordan books Wheel of Time standing in my bookcase, haven't read them yet, because I couldn't find any magic used in the first chapters. And after Terry Goodkind, another 11 books to read is tiring if he doesn't use magic (and I'm kinda magic-fantasy fan). But after reading your previous posts I see it's worth reading now
    Not a native speaker - always aiming to improve

For fiction I've been on kind of a short story kick lately after getting burnt out on Foucalt's Pendulum. Mainly A.C. Doyle and Harlan Ellison. Cracked open Paingod & other Delusions the other day for the first time in forever. Kinda pulpy, but so far it's every bit as good as I remember it being as a sweet, blameless child.

The last decent non-fiction I read was The Corner, by David Simon and Ed Burns (the guys who did The Wire). The book charts a year in the life of a family living pretty badly in West Baltimore. It's a little dated (1990s), but a very honest, intimate read which I'd recommend to anybody who cares for the whole Post-America thing.

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread