Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Hug Your Storyteller

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

A mostly thankless job, being a Storyteller involves a lot of administrative work(wiki editing, calculating status, responding to xp reports and expenditures), as well as using time you would otherwise spend posting for your own PCs to plan new(or continue existing) stories and answer players' myriad questions. This "other stuff" can become unbelievably time consuming, especially when you have limited time to post and a wifi connection that is a firm believer in "island time". So even though it might seem that we are ignoring you or not posting that much, we are actually quite busy. But it really is a labor of love.
    QFT.

This goes for all the venues, but CW said it awesome so I copied it.

Let me put it into perspective: Think of what a total PITA it is to update your signature and/or minisheet. Now imagine doing that for everyone. Daily. Constantly. And that's just managing Character Sheets and XP Requests.

Also? He's dead on about it being a labor of love.

There isn't a single Storyteller on staff right now that jumped up and said OMG I WANT TO DO THAT PICK ME PICK ME. There aren't any raging control freaks or power-hungry dictators on staff. Most of us were conscripted because it was either step up or watch our venue shut down. True story, yo. Ask your ST how they became an ST.

Anyway, just some food for thought. CW said some stuff I thought everyone should read, so woop there it is. This isn't targeted, or random raeg at everyone, just a couple of things that I'd like you remember when you're having uncharitable thoughts
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

R
    Rincewind

Coming from someone who has run games on a far smaller level then the good folks here.
    Thank you all from the very bottom of my heart. Sometimes a little appreciation is all the reward needed. You all do a hell of a difficult job, and do it well.

Ciara Maskelyne

Just a quick thank you to all the STs I've annoyed over the years here. ^_^

4. Likes West liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Just a small note, that thing some most of you do where you do an XP expenditure for one item, wait three days and do another one item, wait three days...

C'mon man.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

6. Likes Origins, CyledyrWyllt, Kelreth, Wod.Infant liked this post

Huge respect and appreciation for West and his mighty Banhammer skills.

No spam is as mighty as West!

8. Likes Cerberus liked this post

Everyone should run stories! Everyone!

Though, really, that's just a taste of what it's like to be an ST...

Y'all don't even know how many hours it takes to deal with rules stuff, let alone XPRS, XP spends, or addressing concerns...

But running stories would be an excellent first step to helping out your STs!

Stories make for the best hugs!

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

I definitely appreciate all the effort West puts into both being a Storyteller and to constant updates to the site in general, cause it looks and runs awesome.

Plus the general advise given is top notch. I'm training myself to provide less of a time sink and reminders like this are good.

11. Likes West liked this post

My hat goes off to those that do ST, it is not easy...on the plus side I know a business major who told me she learned more about working with people from being a ST/GM/DM then from her business classes.

So thank you Cayce for taking over at CTL for storytelling. Thank you West for storytelling and running this awesome forum. And thank you to everyone who has, is, and will ST for doing so!

13. Likes West liked this post
+ Reply to Thread