Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
It's All Relative

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Zach's face betrays the stupor that the unexpectedly personal nature of the question brings about.
    Charles asks Zach what his aspirations are after Zach asks him to front him millions of dollars and bird dog more investors for him.

Stupor, really?

Hell, I'd ask "What for?" if a stranger asked me for five dollars, let alone five million

I just wanted to see if any other players would support the idea before I spent a long time getting the ST's to come around.
    This single post has the distinction of making me say "Oh reaaaaaally​..." both from the IC and OOC content, btw. Smooth. Real smooth.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Zack Griffiths
    Invictus Gangrel

Blood Potency 1
    Aspect of the Predator
    Presence 2
    (quietly stares, speaks calmly)

Zach is a businessman first, and a personal acquaintance second. Millions of dollars is everyday stuff, the kind of thing he's dedicated his life to. Zach has spent the past few posts answering "What For?", and I think Mr. Black is getting the idea: protection, potential, and money. Discussing his innermost thoughts is kind of new, however. He doesn't make friends. At least, he never tried before he came to Sacramento.

On the other hand, if you want to talk about the SkyRise Project with me, then would now be a good time? I've been mulling this over in my head for a while now, and if you want some clarification or have questions of your own, I could answer them. I wanted to ask around because I've spent time on forums getting ideas pushed along, only to have nobody else want to participate, and the idea go to waste. Trying the hybrid route now, so as to succeed, and not waste the effort.
    Destiny has two ways of crushing us - by refusing our wishes, and by fulfilling them. - Henri Frederic Amiel

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I think you're a bit skewed in your reckoning -- having "up to five million" does not make millions "everyday stuff". If your character had tens or hundreds of millions, that might be the case. Still -- if that's your character (and it's well within your right), then I'll make it a personal note to make an "every day request" to borrow 5 million with an NPC, and we'll see how that plays out. I just think your scope is a bit skewed.

As far as wanting to talk to you... hmmmm. To be blunt, that burden is on you to talk to us. That being said, we have a fairly clear rule set on how businesses are acquired. If you want a building with dozens of stores, you'll need to purchase a Site for each and every one.

It's fairly clear how it works.

You probably will have to spend a long time getting me to "come around" to where I approve you making up your own rules and ignoring ours and everyone else that has followed them.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

I've got a question I've been meaning to ask you about this AlphaStrike . Why hasn't your toon gone to the prince to talk about this before looking to scrounge up investors? No one is going to be able to put any xp down on this plan without his blessing as well as Tenancy in whatever Regency you want to build this in, in fact it seems like something you'll have to make Regent to put together, offering people that want to invest in it tenancy in exchange for support.

I'm also looking askance at the whole thing, because it seems like a really... Carthian plan for a member of the Invictus to put forward.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

R
    Ruphi

I have a few questions on the site merit:

Owner of a strip mall that leases out bays would require what dots?
    I would assume site 5 due to the size

Now if I had a bay in the same strip mall I own (similar to a size 1 haven), would that require a site 3 merit (1-4 employees)?
    I would assume yes based on your last post

Now if I had owned 5 bays in this strip mall (all size one havens), would I need 5 seperate sites even though I own the main building?
    I am guessing that A. this would require 5 size 3 sites, to represent each store.
    or B. It would require a size 5 site, with 5 size 3 sites to represent owing the businesses that are subleased under the building,
    or C. Just one size 5 site because it's all under one building?

I also have a question about the Staff Merit:

A: I have a business that does not have a central location so I would use the staff merit. So the size of the staff is based on my resources, and division of labor as well. So if I have a landscaping business obviously the more staff I have, the more trucks/workers I have, but would I have to make up different types such as : Lawnmowers, landscapers, Gardeners (another word for landscaper?).

B: If I have a site related to this business, how does that integrate with the prior bought staff (would they be seperate)?

C: If I have a site for a landscaping business would I have to buy a staff to represent off site working people?

Thank you, and I hope this wall of text isn't too confusing.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I have a few questions on the site merit:

Owner of a strip mall that leases out bays would require what dots?
    I would assume site 5 due to the size
    It would require each "bay" to be bought individually as a Site. If you wanted to say all of your sites were in the same building/strip mall, that's up to you.

Now if I had a bay in the same strip mall I own (similar to a size 1 haven), would that require a site 3 merit (1-4 employees)?
    I would assume yes based on your last post
    See above

Now if I had owned 5 bays in this strip mall (all size one havens), would I need 5 seperate sites even though I own the main building?
    I am guessing that A. this would require 5 size 3 sites, to represent each store.
    or B. It would require a size 5 site, with 5 size 3 sites to represent owing the businesses that are subleased under the building,
    or C. Just one size 5 site because it's all under one building?
    See above.

Long story short, you can't buy 1 thing and say it's equal to many things. If you want 10 bays in a strip mall, you need to buy 10 Sites; however you narrate those sites relationship to one another is up to you.

I also have a question about the Staff Merit:

A: I have a business that does not have a central location so I would use the staff merit. So the size of the staff is based on my resources, and division of labor as well. So if I have a landscaping business obviously the more staff I have, the more trucks/workers I have, but would I have to make up different types such as : Lawnmowers, landscapers, Gardeners (another word for landscaper?).

B: If I have a site related to this business, how does that integrate with the prior bought staff (would they be seperate)?

C: If I have a site for a landscaping business would I have to buy a staff to represent off site working people?

Thank you, and I hope this wall of text isn't too confusing.
    We don't really use the Staff Merit:
    http://nwod.org:8080/wiki/index.php/Staff_Merit

Zack Griffiths
    Invictus Gangrel

Blood Potency 1
    Aspect of the Predator
    Presence 2
    (quietly stares, speaks calmly)

West West

Zach spends a lot of time thinking about money, and he has both been in charge of large amounts of money (both personal and in business ventures) in previous domains. If the NPC offers Zach a large share of the profits, a decent plan, and large amounts of input in directing the future of the plan, Zach will definitely listen. The money and the opportunity makes for business. Zach is extending the chance to Charles (and later every other vamp who wants in) a great deal of say in the scope of the project. If the NPC does this, you have a pretty sure bet that Zach will want in.

I think I used 'everyday stuff' in a way that you don't, at least not specifically. I meant that Zach routinely plans for things that will cost a great deal, and spends time not interacting with others planning, re-examining, and contemplating large amounts of money. In the real world, building a mall is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars, so I'm using that as a launching point for the plans. Compared to the amounts Zach will need for the whole project, 5 million is kind of small, about 1.5% to 2%. You pointed out that if my character was working or had worked with tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, then it would be okay to be semi-casual about 5 million. Well, that about sums it up.

As far as talking to ST's goes, that's the plan as well. Right now, I'm doing a PM scene with Arianna where it's about to come up, and once BBB Part 1 wraps up, BBB Part 2 will be Zach, Martha, and Dillon walking/driving/traveling around the domain discussing the project. That's Selena, Chrisie, and Wolven right there, and I don't exactly know who and where BBB parts 3 and onward will entail. I would probably have been able to get all this out already if personal life hadn't decided to eat three weeks of my life. So, coming to the ST's is on the agenda.

The actual setup of the project is still unknown to me, since I haven't sat down and nitpicked mechanics with anyone yet. There will probably be a group page once this thing gets going, and until then, number crunching will have to wait. Anything said about setup now is just idle speculation, and if I am presuming too much, we can clean up what I think when we go over this with a fine tooth comb.

Benji Benji

Zach hasn't gone to the Prince to present his plan because he doesn't have a plan yet, just a pile of good ideas. It would go something like this:

Zach: Hey Prince, I thought of something cool! Listen! Listen!
    Prince: That's nice. Lord Culler, the closet for this one.
    Culler: NOMNOMNOM!

I would prefer something like this:

Zach: Hey Prince, I thought of something cool, and then I worked out half the kinks and am ready to contribute to the domain in a serious and profesional manner, as well as increasing your glory, both personally and as Prince.
    Culler: NOM-
    Prince: Now, hold on a minute, Lord Culler. Let's hear the boy out.
    Zach: I spent a lot of time working on this, and have the opinions of several leading members of the domain.
    Various other Kindred: We think this thing is the new black, Your Grace.
    Prince: Well, this certainly is interesting. Meet with me some nights from now and I shall personally decide whether to sponser this plan or if you should be fed to the closet.
    Culler: hehehehehe.....

As for this Carthian business, I really don't know. I have only ever read the Invictus covenant book, so I don't know anything about the Carthians. I do know that large scale plans that take time to put together and result in personal gain are the bread and butter of the Invictus, and if Zach has to lick some pale undead ass to get it done, he will. What exactly would a Carthian think of this situation? Zach wants stuff, and that's where I'm going with this. If there is something specifically un-Invictus you could point out, that would be a great help.

Edit:

Thanks for asking those questions, Ruphi. Some of that was bound to come up with the project later. Glad we could nail that down.
    Destiny has two ways of crushing us - by refusing our wishes, and by fulfilling them. - Henri Frederic Amiel

tl;dr

You didn't get the point...

Dude, when you are planning something of that scope, the very FIRST thing you SHOULD do is talk to the STs. Before approaching any of this IC, you should discuss with the people who are in charge of running the game if something like this is gonna fly, and whether it is good for the game they are running or not.

Also, that second example of a conversation with the Prince is just silly. If you have read the Invictus book, you would know that the Prince in an Invictus Domain may *choose* to listen to the Kindred of his Domain that say "hey man, this is an awesome idea!" but he does not *have* to. He could just be like "fuck all of you, this is my city...and now all of you go into the closet!"

Anyways, I'm not gonna make this as long as you did, but really this is just bad form. You should NEVER plan something of this scope without consulting the STs first.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

You can spin it however you like but this:

"So I'm going to build this really cool big thing and we're gonna profit! You IN?! Couple million is all, bro!"

"Maybe -- what are you aspirations in the city?"

*shock* oh noes! how DARE he?! Personal space!

It's funny. It's not realistic.

As for the rest, do what you want. It's clear you're not overly receptive of anyone's input.

p.s. Arnold Culler isn't the Hound.

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

There's other stuff that people have talked about in the above posts, but I really need to point something out.
    As far as talking to ST's goes, that's the plan as well. Right now, I'm doing a PM scene with Arianna where it's about to come up, and once BBB Part 1 wraps up, BBB Part 2 will be Zach, Martha, and Dillon walking/driving/traveling around the domain discussing the project. That's Selena, Chrisie, and Wolven right there, and I don't exactly know who and where BBB parts 3 and onward will entail. I would probably have been able to get all this out already if personal life hadn't decided to eat three weeks of my life. So, coming to the ST's is on the agenda.
    It actually isn't.

Talking to the toons played by the STs is not the same thing as talking with the STs about this.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
+ Reply to Thread