Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Contests and Games Rules - appeal for some help

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

So the Reindeer Games ooc thread got me thinking. We need a wiki page for rules about contests, games, and just near about anyway toons can throw dice around or at each other with out risking serious harm.

People have been mentioning the various events that have happened on the site. If anyone remembers which threads those take place in, a link would be awesome.

Here is the wiki if anyone wants to look at something not-pretty: http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Contests_and_Games_Rules

B
    Beej

You mean adding something like what a gambling check is?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I dug up my original parkour draft:
    =======================================

The goal is to perform the course in the least number of rolls (i.e. rounds) possible. Contestants are ENCOURAGED to mix and match obstacles. For example, a a race could be three sets of Flows, or a Flow, Scale, Flow. YOU know what your strengths are, use those to influence the race's components. ALL competitors must agree on the race components.

Any race with 3 components or more WILL draw attention. This IS a sanctioned area, so I only point this out for people who are considering "augmenting" their natural abilities.

Please, give feedback. I'd love to tweak this to make it as fun and usable as possible.

*** COMPONENTS ***

Flowing
    This is a 1-1/2 minute run, using small obstacles to do tricks on.
    This portion uses DEX+ATH -or- STR+ATH and requires 10 successes to complete.
    - Any level of Parkour or Running Merits confer a flat +1 bonus to each check.
    You roll your check until you accumulate the successes.
    Any FAILED CHECK will "break" your flow.

Scaling
    This will take you to a fire escape stair set on a 90* wall. This is a 30ft scale to the top of the building.
    - Option 1: Climb the stairs (flat 5 rounds and ridicule)
    - Option 2: Parkour 2 Wall Run
    - Option 3: Standard Climb (must pass 3 STR+ATH checks)
    Any FAILED CHECK will "break" your flow.

Jump Across
    This is a jump from one building to another.
    A jump estimation MUST be performed.
    - If you do not have an ability to estimate on the run, lose 1 round
    - If the estimation is FAILED, Jump check is at -5
    This is a SINGLE STR+DEX+ATH check, requiring THREE successes.
    0 success - take 30 foot fall damage - game over
    1 success - catch ledge + climb up (add 3 rounds)
    2 success - fall on landing (add 1 round to stand)
    Any FAILED CHECK (less than the required 3 suxx) will "break" your flow.

Jump Down
    This is a jump from a three story building back to street level
    A jump estimation MUST be performed.
    - If you do not have an ability to estimate on the run, lose 1 round
    - If the estimation is FAILED, Jump check is at -5
    - This is a 12 YARD FALL (automatic 4 BASHING) which you can mitigate 2 of
    Option 1: Freefall, Use DEX+ATH to mitigate (max 2)
    Option 2: Use obstacle to break fall.
    - 6 Yard Fall (2 bashing) can mitigate 2 w/ DEX+ATH
    - Breakfall check, DEX+ATH -3 FAILURE = 12 yard fall NO MITIGATION (regardless of suxx on 1st 6 yard roll)
    - 6 Yard Fall (2 bashing) can mitigate 2 w/ DEX+ATH
    Any FAILED CHECK (less than the required 3 suxx) will "break" your flow.

Please note, FAILED JUMP ESTIMATIONS are NOT retested. You fail, you take the penalty on your jump.

Jump Estimations are INT+COM.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

You mean adding something like what a gambling check is?
    No, that is just a simple check.

However if someone were to make up a gambling game for IC then that would fit in here.

at least, imo, if anyone disagrees let me know and we can work on it

A
    AethrDav

So, writing up this Glimpse that I'm working on, I had a question, and thought I'd pose it to see what people think.

If you wanted to have a dice roll for games of strategy, etc, what stats would you use?

In particular I'm thinking chess, and was thinking that Int+Academics might be good, maybe Int+Emp to read your opponent or Wit+Subt to try and trick or mis-lead him.

How would you guys run this?

Int+Composure/Resolve. I believe there are mechanics for it described in Winter Masques (Changeling).

A
    AethrDav

Hmm, that's an interesting take on it.

I always thought that Attribute + Attribute rolls tended more towards things that are really just based on raw, basic aptitude. Holding your breath, being watchful and keeping your eyes open, etc. Something like chess or games requiring strategy I imagined you could argue for including a skill in them, given the nature of training and learning the game.

I don't have any of the Changeling books except the core, so I haven't seen that

Yeah...I had similar feelings about the whole thing, but then someone pointed out the fact that there are mechanics for it in one of the books, so there was no need to overcomplicate things for coming up with an entirely new system to treat games. After all, if we had to come up with rules for chess, poker, blackjack, craps...it would get kinda crazy! Since not all would use the same attribute+skill combinations. Better to keep it simple and follow the mechanics that have already been published

L
    Lazy Cow

Extended roll untill achieving double resolve in successes.

Then int+aca

that would be for chess for example.

You could adapt the rules used for seduction which is also an extended roll.

+ Reply to Thread