Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Movies

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 16 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Wow, Hank Azaria sucked? That's too bad, I think he's usually pretty underated comedic genius...
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

S
    Selena

Lol well, watch it and let me know if I was wrong. I laughed at the cat more.

The Adventures of Tintin

It should be no surprise that this is kid-friendly.

This was, quite simply, a lot of fun; it dragged a bit at first as the first twenty minutes or so are primarily Tintin's exposition to his dog, but that's probably to be expected when you have a mystery story aimed at kids. Once it gets going, though, it's very enjoyable. How much fun was this movie? Well, there was a fight scene where the two combatants were fencing with construction cranes. Construction cranes. And that was after an incredible chase sequence in a Moroccan city that was mostly done as one long (3-5 minute) tracking shot.

The animation is fantastic and the character designs are great--they're fairly realistic, while still clearly being based on Herge's designs, and they mostly avoid the uncanny valley. They're also incredibly detailed; in one closeup I realized I could see little shrubs of hair poking out of Captain Haddock's nose.

The voice acting was fair; nothing particularly memorable, although Nick Frost and Simon Pegg as Thompson and Thomson were a hoot.

S
    Steven

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Possibly the funniest movie I have seen in a really long time and I am only 50 minutes in. Absolutely enjoying the crap out of this movie!

Trailer

There's a new Amanda Seyfried movie out, so I'll just put this placeholder here for West...

6. Likes West liked this post

Chronicle

I'd say, not for children. There's swearing, sexual discussions (no nudity though), and what the MPAA calls "thematic material." In this case that means depictions of abuse, and elements of morality/ethics that may be beyond a pre-teen viewer (who might see something in the movie and think its "cool" rather than thinking through its ethical significance).

I have a hard time saying anything about this movie beyond "I thought it was pretty sweet." If you haven't caught a trailer, three teenagers discover an object that gives them telekinetic powers, and like real teenagers they spend most of their time using those powers to dick around. Then things take a darker turn.

The film is presented in a first-person, "found footage" style, like Blair Witch or Cloverfield, but does play with the format a bit--which is a welcome change, after the glut of these films on the market. For example, the film doesn't stick with one camera: the main action is intercut with footage from security cameras, cellphones, etc to provide more variation in the visuals. By the climax of the film so many cameras are being used that you can almost forget the "found footage" conceit entirely.

All I can really say is, if you liked Akira you will probably enjoy this. Certainly there are enough thematic/visual elements to suggest this is a better live-action adaptation of that material than the two Akira films Warner Brothers has planned. (Yes, I know how geeky I sound.) (And if you're asking, "What's Akira?" then you and I can't be friends.)

8. Likes Teeramus liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

John Carter

I was pretty much a lock to go see this after having read them a long, long time ago. ERB and Heinlein were the only sci-fi back in the day, and the cover art may have been my first exposure to Boris Vallejo.

In some ways, it was good. It had that good clean fun fill of Star Wars or Flash Gordon; it was a movie I felt perfectly fine seeing with my seven year old. It flowed well, didnt get overly bogged down in exposition, and had some fun scenes.

In a lot of ways, it was bad. The intial scene where he discovers the lower gravity was horrible. It was the worst wire work I think I've ever seen, he looked like a puppet being bounced up and down on strings. It just set a disappointing tone for the movie that I never got past. It felt like a movie on a shoe-string budget, effects wise.

I wouldn't ask for my money back, but I wouldn't watch it again. Still, I give it props for being a fun sci-fi movie that's kid-safe.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Hunger Games

Saw this at the IMAX today. Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson were brilliant, and apparently I've still got a lingering man crush on Wes Bentley. If I looked like him, I'd rule the world. Just sayin'.

Peeta and Gale were good.

Jennifer Lawrence... what to say. I want to like her... but she feels so flat. She's like Charlize Theron in that she's great to look at and you fall in love with her in stills, but in live motion... something is lost.

Lenny Kravitz is Lenny muthafuckin Kravitz.

There was some substantial departures from the book, but maybe it's material from the next two in the trilogy; not having read them, I dunno. It was still fun, hit the high points, and really did a bang-up job of portraying the world setting and disparity between the Capital and the Districts... except for the near-new super sexy outfit Katniss hunts in. There was a palpable bleakness to the reaping that really set the tone for Katniss' sacrifice.

There were a couple of things that bugged me: the way her quiver was always full, and the Haymitch sent notes with the gifts... I'd almost have preferred 'thought narration' to have Katniss figure out what each gift signified. They also took out the District 11 gift, which I highly disapproved of.

All in all, a good rendition. I found myself enjoying the Capital scenes with Effie and Haymitch the most, but the rest flowed well and was entertaining.

I'd watch it again.

BONUS:

Trailer for Snow White and the Huntsman: OK this shit looked GOOD. It looked dark as shit and it all just popped. Totally seeing this.

m
    magiuspendragon

First off, re: West Bently, apparently there's a facebook page dedicated to that beard. Which I must admit, was pretty amazing.

So while I agree that Jennifer Lawrence was a little flat, I was pretty okay with it. Mostly because I have this memory of how Katniss struggled with the whole empathy thing throughout the book.

Re: Bonus Trailer, I agree, the trailer was really well done. That being said, personally I think kristen stewart is even flatter than Lawrence was. I'm not sure if I'll see it or not myself.

S
    Selena

The Avengers
    THIS IS A MUST SEE.

First of all, I didn’t realize this was a Joss Whedon film. Most of the actors, with the exception of West the Mage, I mean Edward Norton, came back for this movie. There were many funny lines in the movie and many pop culture references. Really good one liners and the script for the movie was superb. I’d probably see it again in the theatre. The guy who plays Loki was an amazing villain. I'd love to put more in here about it, but honestly, I don't want to spoil it for anyone else. I know the word epic gets thrown around a lot but this truly was epic. It may have just set the bar out of reach for other super hero movies. ^^

Note, there are two spoilers at the end, the last being at the very end of the credits.

Totally kid safe. My son was on the edge of his seat.

Page 2 of 16 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread

Members who have read this thread : 63

You do not have permission to view the list of names.