Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Terms of Service

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I hope I'm understanding this correctly that this thread is meant to be a place to leave commentary...
    Or an invitation to send a PM
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

R
    Red

I think all those concerns could be addressed with an appointed 'Player Advocate' who took the submissions and delivered them to the 'Management' so to speak. To handle the multiple barriers you addressed, control (technical) writing style (assumptive) detail context (investigative), the players would feel represented and anonymous staked simply of the reputation of the 'player advocate' to relay their concerns.

But this also explores all the complications of Unions being introduced to political systems and I doubt there are enough complaints to merit taking that on. Also its somewhat desirable to have natural barriers to trolls and those who can't adapt well so maybe its unwise to nurture every soul who passes through?

S
    Steven

I am just curious Red , Do you really feel that a Player's Union is warranted? Has there been that much treachery that you feel we can't just be honest? I mean... we are adults right?

R
    Red

Steven as I stated already in the second paragraph of my last post, I doubt there is a need to implement a players union, but that all really boils down to the concerns of the powers that be.... I don't know how you found a way to bring the word treachery into this, I thought we were talking about constructive criticism...

Either which way you'd be surprised at the differences an environment of anonymity affects the process of information gathering. I know adults who prefer anonymous critique because they can easily see how their personal investments might keep them from an objective reaction/response.

I don't see any need for a player's union. If we don't trust the STs to be impartial when dealing with complaints or criticisms, one of two situations are active.

Either we are being paranoid, in which case no amount of anonymity is going to assuage our paranoia

or

We've gotten to a point where we can't trust the STs peroid. At which point the site is going to fall apart and turn into any number of half assed circlejerks and social cliques that so many PbP games have turned into from what i've seen.

In either case a 'player's union' isn't going to do any good.
    Every time Japan comes out with a new fad, I wake up in a cold sweat halfway around the world and just know something wicked this way comes.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

lol

I suppose there *are* some guidelines that are not clearly, openly printed.

For example, yes, the expectation exists that you know the game; that you have played, or own and have read the source material. The STs simply do not have the time to teach someone nwod. We are willing to help those that are learning, but we've also had a lot of "new" players who expect to be quoted the source material. There are a lot of players who have come here who never played before that were willing to learn on their own dime and have done well. Fractured jumps immediately to mind.

The thread limitation exists mainly because of staff limitations as well. We just had to lock Mage. We are constantly in a state of needing STs. Players are free to interact with one another/do things that don't require ST time, but the reality is that most venues have more than a 10:1 ratio of players to Storytellers. That's a ton of work, when you look at character sheet accounting, xp reports, and trying to have personal time to play one's own characters.

I'm glad you like it, and hope this helped explain why some things are the way they are
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

I have a complaint.........ok no I don't but those who know me are used to hearing that. Anyway, I think the site has exploded into fun small fragments of craziness that West somehow works into a state of controled chaos. Having run and played on numerous sites over the years (and looked at most of the ones that are still going today) this one is the most active, the most fun, the most tolerant of new players, and the least group of arrogant know-it-alls I can possibly find.

That being said, I would like to now share some other opinions and I know you are all just holding your breaths in anticipation.

First, West is correct about the ST to player ratio. Or rather, the ST to character ratio. You have two Mages? Well the ST has to keep track of both of those Mages, not just you as a player. So, it is very hard to make sure that you read and respond (if necessary) to every thread running in your venue. Then they have their own toons in Goddess only knows how many thread and have even more people waiting on them. Not to mention all of us are adults and all of us also have this thing called real life we have to deal with (sad I know but unfortunatly true). It can make for some serious stress.

Second, anonymity is always nice and there are times when I would really like to tell an ST exactly what I think he or she is doing wrong and how to fix it. Of course, I also don't want them to know I am questioning their skills. Well, sometimes you just have to either suck it up and move on , or say what you need to say and see what happens. We all want to be cordial and nice to everyone. No one wants to hurt anyone elses feelings or piss them off. I mean, not a good gaming atmosphere there. So, think about it. Is there a way someone could give you the same "advice" in a manner that you will not take offense to? Yes? Good, then phrase it that way.

A Player's Union could work, however if would be a very delicate endeavor and could turn out to be disasterous. I have seen a "complaint forum" completely destroy a site. It so was not pretty. I fear a player's adbocate might do the same.

Honestly? I have found that simply PM'ing West (or other apropriate ST) and saying "Hey can I talk to you about something?" works really good.

Also I hate stale beernuts, I don't drink beer (white russians are SO much better), and I am really glad I could be a part of this bar community again.
    If we shadows have offended
    Think but this, and all is mended......

Demise
    Morgan Lefet
    Demise
    Demise

Wyrd 1, Striking looks 2
    Rachel "Demise" Evans

Gnosis 1,
    Maria Badillo

Primal urge 1 , Feet of mist
    Susan Vera

Blood potency 1, Aspect of the Predator

I just wanted to jump in and say as a player pretty much brand new to WoD I find this site to be very accommodating. Even when I mess up I don't feel like anyone is getting upset with me. Though I am sorry if my newbishness does aggravate anyone, please just give me a kick and tell me what I'm doing wrong it it does.

Secondly as far as anonymity goes in most cases I don't think it is necessary as long as you word your concerns respectfully and don't make any accusations that could be upsetting. In my experiance the St's seem really helpful despite their huge workload around here so there is no real need for a union.

Of course that is just my humble opinion.

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Just for the record, I find no need for a "players union" or a complaint forum.

/me goes back to hiding under a rock

L
    LoneRanger

The site is very good, excellent in his technicalities, the ST are very good.

The "rules of engagement" are clearly written, in case challanges arises the people here is sufficiently mature to have a chat about it.

If there is a background mistake, one goes to the ST to have it fixed.

So far, so good. And yes, the "cheers" atmosphere in background is superb.

We are playing WoD so it is normal to assume one knows the rules.

Complaint forum? Player Union?

/me dislosdges Kelreth from under the rock to hide himself.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
+ Reply to Thread