Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Necessary Discussions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    S
    Sasha

The Fairest wasn't about to give in to the Leaden's hot headed anger. Maybe she should have never been chosen for this role. It was true, the Elemental hadn't been like this before. Who was to say she wouldn't snap on anyone, let alone Alexander.

The Onyx, in a calmed tone, was trying to be gentle with Mhairi to help her see from a different perspective.
    "If you are 'never' like this, then demonstrate your ability to be diplomatic in situations, not just this one. We may find ourselves in a bind more difficult than this one in the future. If your temper is like this, you could jeopardize outcomes and put us all in danger."

Sasha finally sat down, and turned toward the Autumn. "Mhairi, what happened? This quickly escalated out of control. Is something else going on somewhere that is causing you this?"

"Furthermore, it was the people that elected us into these roles. If you cannot keep a level head and so quickly jump to conclusions, I worry about our Freehold."

The Dancer differed her hand to the Summer, and hopefully, Mhairi would try and become more calm and answer his question without a tirade.

OOC

Edited
    Last edited by West; Jul 1st, 2017 at 02:35 PM.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Accepting that nobody is doing it willfully or maliciously, it needs to be pointed out that a great deal of liberty is being taken with the interpretation of what happened OOC (and which no one bothered to clarify/discuss after).

Selena Woland

http://nwod.org/forum/showthread.php?37220-Freehold-Leadership

1. The HFiC analog was made to Prince or Hierarch, each of whom can appoint and dismiss Sheriffs and Sentinels at will. HFiC can absolutely dismiss the Groundskeeper.

2. There was never an IC "election", so claiming that anyone was appointed by election is false. While it may be a logical assumption, its one probably based on the fact we had an OOC vote -- but a vote that was never suggested or meant to mimic an IC one.

If these things had been discussed/agreed upon, that would have been fine, but you can't simply paint OOC circumstances in whatever colors suit your fancy or create fictitious elections.

Please don't read this as me taking sides or trying to influence the outcome of this thread -- this is simply a correction of IC misrepresentation of OOC.

Last edited by West; Jul 1st, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

3. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Defense: 3 +1
    Heath: Willpower
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

Even as the red haze of angry and worse, rage colored her perceptions, she knew that no one was really listening to her. Which wasn't helping her try and regain control.

"Sasha, you know me. You've known me for a year and a half. When have I ever behaved like this?" Mhairi shakes her head. "I already told you why I'm acting like this and it is entirely due to Brown. Whenever he is around I become angry. I don't know why. He invokes a visceral reaction, a rage so hot it's cold in my chest. Anger so far spreading that paranoia and irrationally seem like a very good thing." the wisp shakes her head. "I cannot work with that. I've been trying since he first appeared. Yes." turning to Brown, "I know you never said that you were a spy, but you showed up with more knowledge about us and continued casual mentions of things you shouldn't know. In what universe would that make anyone feel safe?"

Mhairi was thinking now, and not just reacting. Returning to reason, now that she wasn't focusing on trying not to throttle Brown. Now that her feelings were known to everyone in the room. It was easier and harder, to focus.

"Brown, a lifelong pledge that proves to everyone that you were not, will not, and will never be a Privateer and a Loyalist....I don't know why you'd be opposed to that. If I were in your shoes, see the seemingly unreasonable demand and the person unwilling to not accept a pledge...I would have started negotiating. If you're unwilling to Swear a Lifelong Pledge then, ask for a Year and a Day or a Season. That would be reasonable. That would be adult. Instead you keep going on as you had been, which you've seen is only spiking my fires higher!" the wisp's voice had started to crackle, hearing that, she snaps her mouth closed.

"I am not willing you work with you anymore. I've tried, but I can't. No one I'm working with, or trusting the Freehold's security will should make me feel as you have. You are dismissed from your post, I will appoint someone else.

"Now, Alexander Brown. Use those plain English words and Swear a Pledge, a real one, one that will stick, for a Season. Then, maybe I might be able to start trusting you."
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

In other circumstances, the flowery language Mhairi uses to describe just how awful Alex makes her feel would be flattering. It's not always you find an opponent that devotes that much energy to explaining ust how much he hates you. But his prestige, and influence and - as he sees it - the well-being of the freehold is at stake. And that means it should be countered rather than accepted. And it is. With calm.

"Let me explain myself very clearly. I did not ask for a shorter Pledge because I took me not being a traitor for something so unavoidably obvious that it is not needed at all. You claim it to be a simple thing, and yet you have not asked anyone else to swear it - not even Quick, the guy who was extremely umpy to tell us his origins and goals, and hid his face from our sight. I'm mentioning him, because whatever concerns we had about him proved to be completely baseless, and so are the ones you have about me. And about my supposedly suspicious knowledge about you: information is a commodity I value the most. I agree it may be disquieting at times, but if you were suspicuous of me then, all you had to do was ask." He smiles, politely. She could, but she didn't. Why?

There is a long silence, and despite Brown's best efforts it's filled with tension.

"But you know what? Fine. I'll swear, if that's what it takes for you to trust me. For a Season." He clears throat. "I, Alexander Brown, adherent to the Season of Summer, solemnly swear not to betray anyone's trust by helping the Gentry, by action or inaction, to kidnap or harass any person whatever. May this promise bind me for the Season to come, and may I be banished forever from the city of Sacramento if I break it." As always, when a Pledge is sealed, there is a flutter of heart, signifying the feeling of being a part of something greater than oneself. He eyes Mhairi's face carefully, wondering if that will satisfy her.

If all goes according to plan and the Director is finally happy, he goes on, drinking the last of his now cold coffee. "Are you certain you tried working with me? Frankly, I do not think we had enough time together. Three months, that's all I ask. If you still think I'm unfit for the office, then I'll leave it, without complain. But let me prove myself, and I promise you, you will not be disappointed." The words were spoken with the certainty of a professional, someone who knows they can deliver despite everyone's beliefs to the contrary. Besides, the way he sees it, he has a few aces up his sleeves.

"If I may be so bold, I sincerely think I'm the best candidate to do this, and I'm not saying this to belittle anyone else in our community, whose merits I value greatly. But look at it this way: a skilled warrior or a proficient sorcerer can take care of five, maybe ten opponents at once, if it's their good day. What I bring to the table is an ever-growing network of connections and allies in many important circles of this city, one that allows us not only to know of any danger that even might arise, but also to deal with it quickly, efficiently and with virtually no risk of exposure of injury. I can go around unseen wherever I please and make friends where there were enemies. Now look me in the eye and tell me there is anyone else in this freehold who can do this as well." His tone was amplified with a dare, albeit clearly not a hostile one. But hell, confidence is one of the sought-after traits of a peacekeeper too, right?

Anyway, despite his previous peace offering being rejected, he feels it's worth reiterating, what with the change in circumstances and the sales pitch he just gave. "I know for a fact you care about this community. So do I. We got off to a rocky start, and likely it's at least partly my fault. Let's put aside personal differences and get to work. I believe we." He waved his hand to indicate all three of them. "will make a great team." A beat. A hand is extended. Again. "Partners?"

The Pledge

S
    Sasha

Compromise. That is what all relationships are about; even friendship and working relationships. You cannot have any of them without it.

Can't we all just get along...

The Fairest looked at Mhairi, uncertain if she'd ever seen the two work together as it was. More importantly, she didn't recall seeing the two of them speak often before today, but, it may have happened when she wasn't paying attention or at another gathering where she wasn't there. "I don't know why he does this to you. But I hope that by him swearing as he just did that it quells what may be invoking the anger."

The Summer did what she wanted; swearing a Pledge to the Queen and the Freehold. It was off-putting to the Onyx, more on the side of the Queen. But there it was, sealed with his Wyrd. The Mantle of Winter began to subside and no longer did it feel like a freezer inside. "The three of us do care about this community a great deal. I hope that now we can work together to move it forward." Her violet eyes calmly rested on Mhairi. The Dancer hoped she would accept Alexander's terms, she had never heard better ones.

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

"Trust isn't automatic. It takes time." Mhairi explains, "And I already said that I'd only start to...that I'd try to...that the beginnings of trust could happen once Brown made that Pledge." the wisp turns her head to the mirrorskin and nods. "Thank you for finally making this Pledge." even if it wasn't exactly what she'd asked for. As soon as the words passed his lips and the Wyrd sealed the Pledge, Mhairi already could think of several ways that his words could be worked around. But his words were sealed, there wasn't anything Mhairi could do about it now, so the wisp bites her tongue. It was done, and there wasn't anything her words would do besides exacerbate the situation.

Turning back to Sasha, "My anger towards him doesn't come from a place of Fear." Mhairi says ans leaves it at that, doubting that the blond would even listen enough to understand what she meant by that.

"Can you leave your job and those pretty contacts for weeks on end? I don't think you can, not to keep being able to call them your contacts. The Groundskeeper isn't just someone who'll deal with internal security. Or even defending us from muggle eyes. The Groundskeeper will need to patrol the boarders. Will need to weave between both sides of the Hedge and be able to handle whatever they find there. Alone. Could you do that?" Mhairi doubted it. "Flitting about unseen is great, but fighting, standing physically between us and Them, or whatever else the Hedge can and probably will throw at us..."

Mhairi shakes her head, "As things stand between us right now, you are not going to stay Head Groundskeeper. I will appoint someone else." she says slowly, finally. "If that someone else, decides they need more bodies, or your particular skills, they can....deputize you."

A
    Alexander Brown

"Oh, how utterly generous of you" He says when the Wisp says she can now 'start' to trust him, and there is so much fake gratitude it'd create a puddle on the floor if it had physical form. At her thanks, he simply scoffs. Is there no limit to how preposterous this woman can get?

"You knew all that" He continues after a pause, and his Mantle visibly simmers "when you appointed me, and now you're using this as a valid argument? Are you going to be so fickle with all your decisions? Or are you convinced you can find a candidate who could do all of this by themselves? Tell me, have you ever heard of teamwork?" Who made Mhairi the boss again? Oh, they did. Well, mistakes were made.

So, she's decided, huh? Alexander can't help but smile at her words of appointing someone else, wondering who she might choose. It was true what he said, about respecting the others' skills, but honestly doubts there will be anyone with the ability or will to take the office. When Mhairi mentions the option of being deputized, he repeats the sentence in the mockery of her voice inside of his head. That's how it is, then. He's done everything she's asked him to do, he offered peace twice and all he gets is a humiliation attempt?

Well, sister... this means war. And for that, he has just the plan.

He listens to whatever more Sasha or Mhairi have to say, but unless the latter changes her mind at the last second or something just as unexpected happens, he says, in a grim tone: "You're making a mistake. I simply hope that when it comes to paying for it, it'll be just you, and not the entire community." He nods respectfully towards Sasha and leaves the Maze and the park.

S
    Sasha

Now the Autumn was being downright rude. Her violets looked at the Queen for several moments. It bothered her that it all came to this. What else was the Dancer to say right now? She'd mooted the point, at least in front of the Summer.
    "Okay, Mhairi." Sasha would revisit this very soon at another time.

The Fairest didn't argue the Leaden's point about patrolling or anything of the sort. As much as she wanted to talk her out of the decision, her mind was already set.

Then, the Summer made his note of finality. The Fairest cringed inside when passed her and the door closed.

Turning back to Mhairi, Sasha calmly crossed her legs inward and looked to the Elemental.

"Mhairi." The Dancer spoke calmly. "Could you please tell me why he upset you so much?" She was eager to hear everything, the things that weren't said. Even though many things were laid out, something didn't feel right.

"And please, don't leave without telling me. If I felt unsettled about something and couldn't say it aloud, I would tell you."

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

Mien

Mantle

Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

"I listened to others when you were appointed. I didn't listen to myself. Which was a mistake. One I'm not going to make again." She said, resisting the urge to shot 'have you' at his back.

A snide words paired with thunderous steps and the Summer storms out of the Maze.

The Autumn Queen heaves a sigh. Not sure if she really trusted the Winter's words. For one, she was a Winter, and two. Mhairi was seeing the women less and less.

"I don't know. It's just something about him that...just rubs me wrong. I've been trying to hold it in, and just work with him. But...the way he speak, and acts...it just pisses me off and I don't know why. I've been around other people like him and I've been fine with them, but...him. I just find him...oily? Maybe. Arrogant for sure. I just...I've been trying, but ugh." she sighs, ribbing her face, "Today I guess everything just....what's the phrase? The straw the broke the camel's back? Yeah I think that's it. Today was just that."

S
    Sasha

Relieved that the Autumn told her, now she could figure out how to get them to either make amends, or at least be civil to each other.

"I know you are trying, believe me I can see it. We will always get rubbed the wrong way by someone, Mhairi. Always. You don't know who it will be and when it will hit. Of course, we never know if they are Loyalists or not at first. Still, we need to give people the benefit of the doubt and proceed with caution."

"I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen. Do you remember Harvey? Had he not been an established member of the Freehold, I think you would have had the same feelings for him, even Green, Rick, or Terri. Hell, there have been many arrogant a fools that have come through here, still, they have a past like we all do. We are the oldest members of this Freehold. There will be more new people coming. " The Dancer was trying very hard not to lecture, her voice was gentle and explanatory.

"You know, a while back, I had the same problem with someone. He was a Draconic. He was gorgeous, but, there was always something that unsettled me about things with him. It was when I finally spoke to him privately that anything came to fruition." Remembering how Lou was with her and what came to pass. She missed him a great deal, but that was the past. A hefty lesson was learned.

"He cared for me a great deal. But, he was over protective of me. So much as to say it was unnerving. It finally made sense when we spoke. I judged a book by it's cover and that was a huge mistake. I didn't know his past, he didn't know mine. We finally came to understand each other. Of course, there was a blow out before that happened..." Her face wrinkled. "But eventually he came to terms with some things." That was back when her love for John was in full bloom. She would have made the same choice again, even if she knew John would have left her still.

"Mhairi, I care for you a great deal. We are in this together." The Dancer's graceful hand was extended with her palm up to the Elemental's.

Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 19

You do not have permission to view the list of names.