Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 6 of 21 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last

0 Scenes

Thanks Matrixchild I'm checking it out now. (And yes, I've been reading and rereading the core book)

Most of her Awakened life I left open because I didn't know which Path I want to have her go down, so I don't know which trigger I want to use for her Awakening, (I do have ideas written down for it) so I don't know how she'll be thinking after she Awakens and as you said, how she'd going to approach her willworking and how her world view will shift, my first instinct is to have her be an Acanthus, which is why I'm also thinking Thyrsus, trying to brake out of my own reactionary thought bubble. I even thought of reasoning as to why my char would stay a model if she is a Thyrsus. The industry is a cutthroat world of of beauty and cruelty, and that would resonate with the Primal Wilds. (At least I think so.) But I do have more ideas typed up for an Acanthus....

I think I'll be taking up New Identity * for her stage name - enough to keep away creepy stalkers and fans, but not enough to count as a whole new identity.

(TBC, my boyfriend wants his computer back i'll log back on later :P )

M
    Matrixchild

Since you've already played two characters you may want to look to Alice and Mhairi, think about what you like and don't like about both of them, and use that as a jumping off point to help form your mage. Every character is a chance to learn what type of character you're truly happy playing as. If you think about it, your path is really what you were all along, you were just asleep and didn't know the Truth. So her path should be a natural extension of who she was already as a sleeper.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

It feels a little raw and hokey, but I like Alice and Mhairi so I'll consider that perception a fault of my own.

Well, mostly.

The thing that jumps out at me immediately is the very vague 'arrow', 'warrior', and 'unconventional'. This feels super rushed and I get zero sense of 'why' or what unconventional might mean other than either a) you skimmed the first paragraph of each order or b) you like the characters in in the Order currently in game and want to hang with them. I think Mage is more given than most to the pitfalls of organization choosing at chargen -- I've written a bit about it in my sig, but more to the point:

http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Adama...row#Philosophy

Are these five tenets something this character embraces? Each Order has beliefs that are more complicated than, say, Covenants or Courts, because they're also ways and means to approach the Supernal -- both the self and the schisms. You mention her 'figthing', but not what she fought for -- and it's not really obvious, given she just cut and ran.

How does she feel about her Awakening?
    Should everyone Awaken?
    Should Magic be regulated?
    Etc...

These are the kinds of questions that should determine an Order. Anyone in any Order can be a 'fighter' or 'warrior', it's what you fight for that determines Order membership (or rejection).

Paths are Paths. I really personally think Paths should be picked by what magic you want to use most often, but that's just me.

Anywho, just food for thought.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

4. Likes CandidesDream, Cayce, liked this post

Varyx

Presence 4 (Tempting)
    SL 4 (Sultry)
    Evelynn

Presence 2 (Curious)

Personally? I just think you're missing some key stuff from your backstory. Like, you've gone into some detail about her life before Awakening - which is good, don't get me wrong, but it throws into sharp relief how little detail there is about her actual Awakening and her Awakened Life. Which are at least as important as the "before" (arguably more so). It's gonna be hard to talk about a character with large parts of their concept missing.

So, since you said you left a lot of that detail out because you don't know which Path you want her to follow, I suggest this - build up a version of this character for all Paths that you're considering. Write up a version of her that follows Acanthus, then write up another that follows Thyrsus (then write up a version for any other Path you're considering, if there are others). Because I think you might have a chicken and egg problem. I know, for me, I'm not going to really figure out what interests me about a character until they're already mostly fleshed out. Were I you, I'd be having trouble picking a path because neither version of the character sounds compelling, but neither sounds compelling because you haven't given her enough backstory to be able to pick a path.

So... do both, and then see which one draws you in. Then go from there.
    Characters
    Varyx - Apostate Mastigos
    Evelynn - Winter Wizened

6. Likes liked this post

0 Scenes

Well its good to know Alice and Mhairi are liked

But you're right what I have for this char is a rushed hack job so far. What I've written is just random bits and short notes. I wanted to figure out her world view first before fleshing out her backstory more. She's just been an idea I've had kicking around in my brain, and wanted you folk's opinion on well what you've been commenting on

As for Orders, I've the player have read the core book and the supplements, but the char (as she is now) wants to join up with the AA through her own misconceptions, but when she realizes her mistake she chose for the first time in her life to do this for herself and fight for her position in the Order.

If it would make sense for her have no Order and start out as an Apostate and join up with an Order during play (I might do that, because having Alice talk to Katya is fun )

and alias-of-a-girl I'll have to do that! That's a really great idea!

I'll get back to you folks when mt toon is more fleshed out, but feel free to keep giving me feedback (it totally helps!)

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Organization talks can be a lot of fun, my vampire has recruited a couple of people into the Invictus that have made for good scenes -- but it's also something that needs to be poked at and worked on. The main diff between joining a group at chargen versus IC is that you're taking a leap of faith that the characters in-game think you bring something to the table/are a good fit versus just getting to hand-wave it.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

9. Likes , Wod.Infant liked this post

0 Scenes

So this wait list thing, as seen by my above fumbling attempts to piece different concepts together, it's safe to say that I want to mage. (btw I fingered out what was snaring my mind that it all sounded hacked together and disjointed)

So back on this wait list thingy, just to clarify how to get onto it...you submit a 0 bonus xp character and pray? (or is it more can i haz wait list spot?)

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Yep, go ahead and submit. I'll probably hash out approval and then let you know when a spot opens ~

0 Scenes

Great

I'll get my background condensed into something more fit for a submission, and send my gal off for approval

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

So West has repeatedly asked when I'm getting back into mage, and maybe I should try again, especially since I have a concept idea:

Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, the Overworked Associate.
    Mister Jackson
    Middle-aged single father of a 12 year old son who Awakened in time to Force push his son out of the way of an oncoming car.
    Character goals are to protect his son and the community in general.
    Still working on being combat competent, he is working hard at getting into good shape again.
    Hobby- cooking. a skill he picked up while his wife was sick, its something he enjoys and that he can do decent. He's no professional, but he knows how to do good filling meals.
    I need ideas for a job that he has, and any holes I may have missed. Thanks!
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

Page 6 of 21 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread