Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 5 of 21 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... Last

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

Mage isn't difficult to learn, but you have to put the time in to read the setting and rules. You will crash and burn hard if you just skim the X/Y splats and the spell chapter and wing it - you have to exercise your skills in reading comprehension and not just assume it's like the dresden files or harry potter or x-men with "mutants" replaced with "magic" or any other media where magic is a thing.

Like you really need to do this with every game, it's part of your due diligence as a player to #readthebook , but if you don't do it in mage you're going to hit a brick wall very fast and very hard.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

2. Likes West liked this post

Varyx

Presence 4 (Tempting)
    SL 4 (Sultry)
    Evelynn

Presence 2 (Curious)

Mechanically? I wouldn't call mage any more difficult than the other venues. It's got the usual spread of stuff 5 types with 5 groups. The supernatural abilities cost a LOT to learn, but each level grants you a frankly ridiculous number of abilities. Getting familiar with what each level of the various arcana can do is probably the most difficult part - but that's not *so* different from learning what each vampire power can do (except that there's just more content to go through).

The harder part is, IMO, learning to play a mage "properly" - I don't generally like talking about the "proper" way to play a given character, but it's appropriate here. It's difficult to play a character who intuitively knows that reality is a lie. Granted, your character is probably going to have a hard time applying that knowledge to their daily lives, too, so it's not necessary that you understand what it means to know the Truth right off the bat, but it's something you have to have in the back of your mind.

BUT! As a more direct response to the issue of having to read splatbooks? I mean, yeah, you're going to have to read them. But that's true of any venue.
    Characters
    Varyx - Apostate Mastigos
    Evelynn - Winter Wizened

4. Likes West liked this post
    A
    AnoncameaSpider

You guys are super helpful! Thanks for replying quickly, I've already got a few things to think about given the mage genre here now.

In regards to me reading the book, I guess I worded that wrong above, cause I'll read the splat book in full eventually. I just meant if I read the char-gen stuff (Paths, mechanics, et cet) and the spell stuff and then over a few weeks read the fluffier bits will that be workable, or is it a game that requires me to read the book thoroughly in order to create an effective character first, and then effectively join the ongoing plots now? The answer to that seems to be a "read the whole thing it's for the best" though, so I've got my answer there!

If it's open later I might give it a shot, but I don't think I'll have the time to create a properly compelling character right off the bat, he'd have to grow as I learned more about the splat and wrote out that learning process.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

just jack *jazzhands*
    Much love. I've dropped that joke a few times during my time here and I don't think anyone ever gets it

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

Here's the ultra mega condensed precis of the mage the awakening setting. This is not in any way shape or form a comprehensive look into the setting and does not eliminate the need to #readthebook , but it can get the basics of the setting in your mind.

You become aware that the world as you know it is a Lie.
    You are in some way looking for the Truth so you can understand it (this is what pentacle mages do in general).
    The Truth is Not Nice.
    You cannot hide from the Truth now that you know it exists (you couldn't before, but you didn't know it so it didn't really matter).
    The Truth is everywhere because the Truth is reflected in everything, but it's hidden extremely well because there are a bunch of old asshole mage-god-kings who found the Truth in prehistory, but they then burned all the bridges they used to get there (this made the Abyss and it hates everything and you in particular) and they are the Exarchs.
    Seers of the Throne are mages who have decided that the Truth is less important than what knowing it can do for them, and they'd rather use magic to oppress Sleepers (mage term for the non-Magi).
    Banishers are mages who's awareness of the Truth has broken them and they use magic to hunt other mages.
    Secelesti are mages who've decided to sign up with the Abyss for any of a number of personal reasons and since the Abyss is bad news, they are bad news.
    Witch Hunters are mortals who don't know what you know, but think that your magic makes you a bad person so they want to murder you and burn your books (see Hunter the Vigil)
    These five groups are not the only things standing in your way as a Pentacle Magi from learning more about the Truth of the universe, but they are the most common ones.

Also - If you use too much Mind Magic there's a risk of evil spiders crawling into the brains of people around you and fucking them up.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

8. Likes CandidesDream liked this post
    A
    AnoncameaSpider

Thanks Benji, that'll be helpful man. I miiight poke around and see what I can come up with. Really it'll all depend on whether I get a few things squared away friday in terms of the time I'll have to learn a new splat.

Much love. I've dropped that joke a few times during my time here and I don't think anyone ever gets it

I'm pretty sure it's my biggest dirty pleasure that I've seen like every episode of will and grace at least twice, and really anything with Megan Mullally in it has been pretty much comedy gold.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Now I'm just sad you didn't roll into Vampire with Karen the Harpy.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

A
    AnoncameaSpider

Taifa Karen the Harpy*

...... I may have to do that.

Edit: Sorry, I'm done taking the thread off course now! <3

0 Scenes

Sparrow died a slow, but probably pleasurable death. Really. No matter how I tried approaching how to write her, she didn't want to Awaken, she wants to be a vampire instead. So I've given up of trying to force her into something she's not. (She's a Daeva. She really, really wants to be an Invictus Daeva. So she is, her concept page isn't even in my mage stuff folder any more.)

So I've started over.

I know I want to play around with Fate and Spirit, and that I think I want to play an Arrow (Probably an unconventional one.)

So here's what I have so far.

I don't have anything really crunchy done up yet, I'd rather figure of who the character is before assigning their dots.

So what do you guys think?

M
    Matrixchild

Both Thyrsus and Acanthus have different ideas about what magic is and how it affects their thinking. The backstory's interesting, but I feel like the more interesting aspect of your story would be how she went from X (her old life) to awakening, and then how that has made her into who she is today. She can obviously still struggle with the same ideas (not being assertive enough, letting people walk all over her, being a hopeless romantic, etc.) but I feel like you should think a little on what you believe actually caused the awakening.

This may be a good place (along with the core book) to get some ideas about how an Acathus/Thyrsus may see the world and magic, and which fits your ideas of your character. I'm not saying a one for one fit or anything, just some guiding help.

I'd also say you may want to think/or have to have at least some level of new identity to go with your fame. You may not need 4, because you're not purporting to actually BE Tabitha Rose, just that it is your stage you, but that's a question for Casitive.

Page 5 of 21 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread