Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Reporting to the SAC

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    I
    Irina

A very short span of time passed until the thermometer duly bleeped. When Derevko looked down he would be able to see to printed numbers quite clearly: 106.6.

And he still felt perfectly normal.

K
    Kazakin

Derevko spat out the thermometer, twirling it idly in his fingers. Sure, he could ask Jaeger to check his own temperature.

He could.

But he wasn't fucking going to, because that was the sort of thing panicking morons did. He tossed the digital probe back in the case after wiping it down.

Given that I've not dropped dead just fucking yet... yeah, I'll figure this out later.

"Anything interesting on your desk, or are you done?"
    the scarred Agent asked, standing up bluntly.

"Done," repeated Lynx casually. "Nothing that can't wait until later." He stood up as well and walked over to the elevator again, striking the button to continue their climb to the top. "You get what you needed?" he asked, unable to discern the state of his partner's emotions presently.

K
    Kazakin

"What I needed? No, they've not approved your transfer yet,"Derevko sniped back, but his heart wasn't really in it. He picked up the folder and headed for the rundown elevator. Might as well see if Johnson was in early. Most of them seemed to come early.

Probably because they were too pathetic to have homes to go to, the whole lot of them. Himself included.

Jaeger twisted his lips, disgruntled. "Shame for us both," he grumbled, "maybe they think I balance you out." Or weigh him down. With his partner's shoot first complain later style of investigating maybe they needed a more mellow guy around to clean the blood off the walls. But they both knew the truth, there wasn't anyone else to replace Jaeger with. Even Adrian had cut and run in his first month there and never looked back. Maybe he was the smarter guy for it.

When the doors opened again Jaeger stepped in and waited for his partner before pressing the button to take them to Johnson's office.

K
    Kazakin

Derevko's eyes hardened when he glanced across to Jaeger. His thumb hit the button, the file under his arm not shift.

Fine, you little bitch, you wanna make it personal? Let's go.

"No,"
    he said flatly. "They don't. My old partner did that. You get in the Goddamn way. Both you and Adrian were shown up by a fucking post-grad with an illegal set of lockpicks, and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself. Your girlfriend's 3 times the Agent you ever could be."

Jeez, what set this off, thought Jaeger as he turned in the elevator. "And since when was I expected to know how to pick a lock? That's not exactly police procedure. Should I have started blasting away at doorknobs? For all the good it did us. Or maybe I should have just sprinted ahead with you and tuned out everything else, endangering other field agents with your lone gunman approach."

He was sick of rolling over every time Derevko complained about him. Whatever it was about his old partner that made him so spectacular, it was clear Jaeger didn't share in it and didn't appreciate being compared to constantly.

K
    Kazakin

"You think kicking down a door isn't police proceedure, bucko?" Derevko said quietly. "Maybe you slept through that day. Maybe you slept through a whole lot of things. 'Course, if it had been up to you, you'd have just stood there and watched him cut her throat. And then you whine about the conspiracy in the conspiracy's own halls. I want you to live, you dumbfuck. You're heading for getting yourself killed, and I can't cover your back every day of your life from now on. And your involvement with someone out of here might well get her killed too. Oh, and if your feelings are so fragile, don't dish out what you can't take."

He didn't look remotely perturbed. It might have been different if Jaeger had managed to be competant.

But he wasn't. He was below standard, below spec, and too damn stupid to stay alive.

Jaeger couldn't let himself be as calm and stonefaced as Derevko, his frustration expressing itself in his body language and the furrowing of his brow. "You know it's amazing how you can be so sure of things when you've got jack-crap to go on. If he had wanted to cut the girl's throat don't you think he would have done that well before we got there? I mean he must have been in the room with her for at least an hour letting her scream her head off. The only reason he put the knife to her throat was because he was scared, scared of you and your gun. You don't know what his motive was, what he was doing there in the first place. And the only witness is probably locked up with the conspiracy that you're so sure exists too. Now I'm all for following a hunch, but at least I try to communicate things with you instead of trying to be a psychic."

Granted Derevko was right about April. And it was probably the thing that made him more frustrated than anything. She was more than capable and at the same time a risk. Jaeger didn't want to admit that right now though. He couldn't help that she was there that night. But he hadn't brought himself to ending it just cause his partner said to.

K
    Kazakin

"He was torturing her, you dumb shit! Didn't you see the blood on her body? Have you never encountered a sexual sadist, or did they just hide that crap from you in the Academy? And I'm guessing you didn't spot the bug in the plant either. For fuck's sake, Jaeger, use your eyes."

Derevko wondered how the Hell Jaeger had missed the blood, and the cuts on the woman. Scared. No, that fucker hadn't been scared. He'd been torturing the poor girl.

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.