Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

Blush of Life active in public
    AotP disabled in Court

PRE

"Broader horizons," Dillon adds to the toast with a lighthearted smile.

Having watched the space race in its entirety, he is glad to see renewed interest in the subject within the last decade. The development of privately funded, civilian space flights is yet another example of the small step and giant leap. Though it's the natural progression of things, it's also a major milestone.

"No, 'and back', I'm afraid," the Gangrel says by way of salutation to Steve, the acquaintance of Jonny and Vince. He adds a nod of welcoming for the man to the growing conversation. "One way trip, at least for now. Anyone accepted into the program must do so with the knowledge and intent that they will never see their friends and loved ones again; only communicating through sporadic bursts with something like a seven minute delay for the messages to reach their destination."

Still, he can imagine that most any short lived creature would jump at the chance to accept that price.

"Makes me curious what legal steps are being taken with those who are selected for the project. Perhaps they are giving up all earthly ties and assets? Or simply having them frozen with a Living Will until such time as their demise is confirmed? It would be unfortunate to have the mission canceled at the last minute, or close enough en route to return, only to be stuck back on the third rock without two pennies to rub together."

It's just conversation, at this point. But this being a Charity event and all, Dillon can't help but imagine that all of these movers and shakers (or those interested in the funding of said movers and shakers), will have an opinion on the finance aspect of such things.
    Be polite. Be courteous. Show professionalism. And have a plan to kill everyone in the room.

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)
    Striking •• (Boyish Good looks)

Miach

PRE

As they were talking of what Mars was like, and the psychological implication of such a trip for mundage Sleepers, a thought struck Miach. If all was a Lie, a mage proficient enough in Space should theoretically be able to go to Mars, right ? It was... unsettling, somewhat. Better not to dwell on it.

Instead, he sipped some more of his rum - was it his seventh, or eigth, already - and was glad to talk back of the more mundane issues associated with such a trip.

"As for me, I'd be curious to know the selection process. It must be even harder than cosmonauts. Those people should be strong of mind and body, very stable, not to mention bring useful skills to the table. How they could be all that without loved ones, is beyond me, and if they are all that, and have loved ones, why would they leave in the first place ? It makes little sense."

Sure, it would be thrilling, but with no come-back prospect, it seemed much more gloomy to the life-loving Acanthus.

October 'Toby' Davenport
    October 'Toby' Davenport

Acanthus/ Presence ••• (Captivating)/Striking Looks ••

+1
    SL
    PRE

She nods her head smiling, “That is wonderful to hear, I certainly hope it will be a successful evening. It’s always nice to see the community coming together in such a manner.”
    It was also nice to have the evening off, she thinks, not getting enough of those lately.

She gently shakes her head, “Nothing for me this evening, but thank you.” She says, looking around the room, “There are a lot of top doctors here this evening. We have quite a few doctors from the Cancer ward here this evening. They were recently quite successful in raising funds for Cancer research, earning themselves the title of Top Fundraising Hospital of the Year Award.” She said, quite proud of the effort that was put forth.
    Acanthus/ Presence ••• (Captivating)/Striking Looks ••(Glimmering Eyes)/Status •• (Medical)

“For the usual reasons" he commented back to Miach. "Fame, fortune, a chance to be put in the history books.” Steven shrugged. “The reasons aren’t much different than when similar expeditions were being financed over a half-millennium ago. It’s just that now, instead of Carracks and Caravels, we have rockets and ion-drives, and instead of the promise of gold or gemstones, we have a guaranteed book deal or screenplay.”

After taking a sip from his drink, Kite looked around the room. “Other than Toby, I don’t recognize many people here…” he frowned.

Martha Villiers

PRE

[OOC: Many apologies for dropping out a while there. I thought the thread was about to close given it was getting over a month old. Glad to see it's still going! ]

Martha sipped at her drink and smiled and listened. There was a lot of interesting talk about exploration. Some of it lacked in the zeal she had come to expect from Americans.

A country founded on exploration and daring.

"I say! It sounds as if there are a great many obstacles to the project! Though I would hope that the spirit of excitement and daring isn't fully extinguished!"

She nodded to Aileen and Dillon. The points they raised made a lot of sense.

"Still...a mere seven minutes delay when talking to someone on an entirely different planet..that's still pretty acceptable to me! I wonder what Mr Bell would make of it?" she giggles.

Her eyes wide...utterly dazzled by the fact that trans-planetary communication is even possible at all!

Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Miach

PRE

As reminded by Chrisie, we're over the one month mark. Shall we try to wrap it up before it's shut on us, ladies and gents ?

Miach seemed doubtful at the reasons offered by Steven / Kite, but among the lessons the Acanthus had learned was "live and let live". He shrugged, and let slip that part of the talk as he looked at Toby and the gent from last year. "I do know a bit more people" he replied "but it's a Sutter event, and I belong there..."

The communicative excitement of the petite girl would have made him enter back the talk about all those trans-planar things, but between his rums, and the hours passing by, the tall Awakened felt more and more like going to bed. "True, true..." he said noncommitingaly, more as a habit than out of true interest. He had spoken his bit about diseases and cures, and everything else was hardly relevant to his current mindframe.

Claire Edmonton
    Claire Edmonton

PRE

"Though wouldn't you be inclined to believe that the "Mars or Bust" crowd is precisely who they like? Those without anything holding them back, caution to the wind types?" Claire replies to Dillon.

She ignores the rather awkward entrants into the conversation until they have something interesting to say.

B
    Beej

"If you're the government, you'll want anyone you're sending to sign some sort of agreement forfeiting any claims to land or resources discovered in exchange to some sort of financial compensation for their families." Reverb says scratching his chin. "Otherwise you have to worry that whoever you send up will stake mineral or more importantly ice claims for private entities and you create yourself a legal nightmare when you try expanding colonial holdings."

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

Asa arched an eyebrow slightly at @October Davenport passing on the drink; they were mingling, after all. Then again, she was a doctor. Perhaps she was on call or had patients who might need checking in on.

I suppose alcohol slurred speech isn't terribly confidence inspiring in one's doctor

The thoughts were foreign to him. He honestly couldn't say when the last time he'd seen a doctor for a physical malaise was.

He finished his drink, and set the glass aside, smoothly completing the motion by sliding his hand around her waist.

"Then I've been blessed with a knowledgeable, as well as beautiful, guide. Lead on -- let us be sociable."
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Regent of Valencia
    Reeve of Sacramento
    Bishop of the Lancea et Sanctum
    Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

Blush of Life active in public
    AotP disabled in Court

PRE

Dillon hides a smile behind the martini he'd ordered on a whim by taking another drink. Something about what Martha said -- or the way she said it -- made him proud enough that he couldn't help himself.

They'd fallen into speak of finance and legal complications too quickly for her liking, perhaps. Maybe it was just a matter of making small talk, or maybe it's just the atmosphere of the ball. Either way, Dillon is merely mingling with a subject in a way he knows will stick.

Later, he will attempt to beguile her with the scenario that they could be Herald and Reeve of the first Kindred Domain on Mars. Or the Moon, at the very least.

Just give it a few more decades.

"Well,"
    he begins, after nodding thoughtfully and appreciatively at the input provided by the others. He's intentionally oblique for the sake of bringing the conversation to a close. "Fortunately, we have a whole organizations dedicated to working out the finer points. All so the rest of us can wax philosophical on the subject."

Another round of handshakes is offered. "Gentleman, Miss Tunt, it's been a pleasure."

I say we call it a night. Good scene, everyone
    Be polite. Be courteous. Show professionalism. And have a plan to kill everyone in the room.

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)
    Striking •• (Boyish Good looks)

Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread