Ended
Watch

Words between Cabalmates

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"That's the same path you took in life," Avis said, slowly rotating her bottle of ginger beer between her fingers. "You wanted to be a teacher. You wanted to uplift, to enlighten, but instead you chose the path of the enforcer. You made a choice that you thought no one else wanted to make. Did that make you feel special? Did that make you feel like you had value? More value than if you'd dedicated yourself to educating people? I guess we'll never find out, but let me say a few things.

"If you wanted to make the world a better place, strapping on a gun isn't the only option. Taking up a book and a piece of chalk in a classroom also fights crime. Giving people tools to find other ways to live is also Just. Probably more just than destroying misguided lives. But, instead of doing that you chose the path of conflict. Then, years later, you join the Awakened Nation and you choose a path that you feel no one else is willing to walk. In other words, you chose the path that you felt people were most conflicted about. But you know what? The Guardians aren't the most conflicted. It's easy to say 'It doesn't matter what I do because I'm sacrificing myself.' It's easy to make that excuse.

"But you know what's hard?"
    Avis asked, leaning forward. "To walk the path between sacrifice and creation. To walk between life and death. To kill, but not to lose your soul. That's the path of the Adamantine Arrow, and, I think, that path could be yours, too. If you choose it. Because conflict calls to you, and no one knows conflict better than the Talons of the Dragon."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

2. Likes liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

The conversation had taken a strange turn to say the least. His face didn't change, and yet...he couldn't speak. He was literally speechless for a few moments. He sat back in his chair looking at Avis completely unsure what to say.

Finally he cleared his throat and said, "I'll be honest, when I awoke I never thought about joining the Arrows. I don't know if it was because no one approached me or because the Guardians just reached me first, but I don't think I ever considered them. I'm certainly good when it comes to conflict and maybe overall I'm a better fit there than with the Veil. But the thing is, I do believe what the Veil teaches. Now, maybe I'm too stupid to truly understand the secrets. Star could probably lecture me on how little I really know. Maybe I just got it all wrong. Maybe I just joined the wrong order." He paused before continuing. "But I do know what I believe. Now, I'll certainly think over what you're talking about, but just keep in mind I joined the Veil because it felt like the right fit for me."

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Do you believe that death is the only thing you can bring to this world?" Avis returned, arching an eyebrow at the man across from her.

"Maybe I missed something, but it seems to me that when you talk about 'doing what no one else wants to do' that only involves killing people. The thing is, though, you're not the only one that has to take life. Do you remember when we played that round of 'two truths, one lie' when Varyx joined? Well, one of my truths was that I found my favorite shampoo when I had my arms around someone's neck. Well, I wasn't talking about Star. I was talking about a Master of Space that I strangled to death to protect my cabal,"
    Avis explained, her voice strangely calm.

"I accept that I chose to do it, not that I had to, and I accept that by doing so, I also jeopardized more than just my own health. Because we're not lone fonts of the Supernal. We're like wells, and if we're poisoned, so is the rest of the groundwater. That's why we have to find a balance. A way to do what needs to be done, but without destroying ourselves, and everything that we're working for. "
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

M
    Matrixchild

July leaned back and just looked at Avis. He was silent and yet deep in thought. In many ways he viewed himself as a tool. She compared mages to a well, and yet he had always believed that it wasn't about his own soul, or well, but about the community as a whole. Let him be the sinner so that others may stay clean. He always believed that in the hierarchy of souls his was very low, and that it was necessary for him to sacrifice his for those with more potential. For the good of Awakened society. But this was not something he could discuss with Avis. She was outside. She had not passed the veils. He was coming to the realization that maybe he was lacking in his own knowledge and understanding and that he would need to talk to Star.

"The hard decisions aren't always about killing. Sure, many times they are, but in general it's about doing things to make the community as a whole better. I was always a doer though back in Miami. I wasn't the one deciding what should and shouldn't be done, though I did make sure I didn't do anything against my teachings. I guess though that I got here and hadn't thought much about my own soul."

He paused again before speaking. "I'd like to think I have more to offer this world than death." His mind thought of Varyx as he spoke.

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Well, tell me, what hard decisions have you made that aren't about killing? And what's the point in doing anything if you don't know why it's being done?" Avis countered, hoping that July would bear with her for just a bit longer. Ironically, though she was trying to show him that he was more than just a hammer in a world of nails, she was, herself, hammering away at him. Hopefully, he'd see that it wasn't coming from a place of spite. That it was coming from a place of concern. But, perhaps she going about it wrong. Perhaps she had to offer him something more than an interrogation.

"Just think about this: when you first picked up a badge, it was to fight injustice. To enter into a War, but not just one that relied on murder. It was also a War of Ideals. In order to be anything besides a thug with a gun you had to Honor the Oaths you'd sworn and uphold the ideal of Service to your community. The Adamantine Arrow recognizes all of those things. That is exactly what we are: warriors that seek to balance in Conflict, that seek Mastery in Service, that find enlightenment and truth through action that matches our ideals and intentions, who are adaptable, and who realize that in order to find victory we have to be better than our enemies. We have to protect our souls or we Lose, no matter how many enemies we've brought low. Because then we would have become just like them, and what we sought to build would be lost."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Hitting a month and been nearly a week without a post -- Scene ends.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 24

You do not have permission to view the list of names.