Ended
Watch
21 - 28
DISPLAYED
Trimming the Excess

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Emma French

PRE

Emma listened to Thomas and to Michael R. She took a moment to compose her thoughts. "First, I would like to remind you both, " She looked to Thomas and then Michael T on her other side. "We are not here as enemies. We are here doing our jobs. Part of the job is making sure the laws of the Domain are followed. Like the laws of the city, state, or country they need to be followed to keep order. I am sure you all understand how important order in our society is for the protection of our kind." Emma looked around to make sure everyone was following her thoughts. "I agree a major boon is needed if the property to be burned is to be your private home instead of this property." Emma figured not many other kindred would know that the church should have been burned so it wouldn't be so much face saving as it was needed to pay for the favor they were granting him. "I would also like to give you a chance to grab a few belongings before burning your home." Emma wanted to extend this kindness more for the fact that it would keep Thomas from looking like a martyr making a personal sacrifice and therefore becoming a person to feel sorry for instead of one being punished for a wrong.

2. Likes Brownlee, West liked this post

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Quite formidable, these two. Thomas had been outmaneuvered, even at the end, with the removal of his personal things. Hard not to think of it as boon extortion, what with a can of gasoline on the floor or the church. Nevertheless, being indebted a major boon, and burning his personal haven, somehow comes out a win. "You have me at a disadvantage." He meets their eyes in turn. "Of course I accept." He prays, literally, he won't come to regret the boon . . . but knows certainly that he would regret the burning of his church. "For what it's worth, I think you've both handled everything most excellently. Be assured that I'll have nothing but fine things to say about either of you in the wake of this." He may as well make a personal plug, what with having Domain officials present in his church. "Now that you where we are, I hope you'll visit again, under better conditions. Doubtless, you face dangers in the line of your duty, and this Sanctuary--which you have spared--will always be open to you."

Thomas dons his jacket, hung beside the door. "I'll file my debt with the Harpy, and then make my apology to the Prince, if it please you. Feel free to linger if you like, chat with Mr. Travis." Thomas smiles, for some reason finding it easy now. He takes a moment to look around, pleased with the way the place isn't on fire . . . "Thanks again--flames are a bad look for a church, I think--sends the wrong message. Now, would you mind my borrowing your case? I'm off to burn my house down--never thought I'd be so happy to do it." He wonders if it always feels like this, when he absolves Kindred of their sins? He has much to learn.
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

4. Likes Chrisie liked this post

PRE

Michael relaxes - somewhat - when it is clear the situation would not escalate any further. Why should it? Thomas was a man of honor, and of words. When he suggests an alternative to burning the church, Michael eyes the two 'intruders' in turn. Dr. Redfill doesn't seem impressed by Thomas' words, but he seems willing to let Thomas prove himself through the use of a Boon. Dr. French takes it a step further and counter offers, allowing Thomas the chance to collect his things before burning his other place down. Michael watches her for a moment, wondering what her intention was.

Failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-20 15:26:22 Michael Travis rolls 6 to Wits+Empathy+Specialty (Motives) to read intent (10 Again) 2, 7, 1, 4, 6, 5 failure

The exchange happened too quickly for him to tell. He brings his attention back to Thomas. The man seemed to handle the situation with enough grace. Michael feels bad, somewhat, that any price was necessary to pay at all - but he preferred both the church and Thomas to remain relatively intact.

"Thomas." he says, in a soft tone as the man makes his way out. "If you end up needing my help for this..." He left the rest unspoken. Michael hopes the man knew enough about Michael to know he was a man of action. He wouldn't stand idly by while one of his only real friends toiled to fix his mistake. He waits, then, until Thomas leaves before distancing himself a a few paces from the other two.

"Thank you for your understanding." he says, turning to face them again. "I know you are only looking to do your jobs here. That is something I understand all too well." Michael was, of course, referring to the real reason he was here, though Dr. Redfill knew only what Michael had told him about it. His expression hardens a little bit. "If things had turned out differently, though, I would be the first stand in your way. Father Galilei does more good for this Domain than he receives credit for." The look is replaced again by Michael's usual expressionless face.

"What of my presence? Father Galilei offered to take me in so that I would not need to stay in hotels for the duration of my business here. Do you require me to leave?"

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)
    Aspect of the Predator active outside Elysia

PRE

As Michael watches the exchange the tension that he wasn't conscious of starts to fade away. Too often is kindness and reason seen as weakness which is why many Kindred choose to be callous on purpose. It's refreshing to see that those two are not the misjudging sort:

"Just be sure not to up us too much. The apology to the Prince can be made should the situation arise but it may be best not to bother His Majesty specifically for this reason", - a hint of a smile touches Michael's lips, - "Also, Mr. Travis, it is Mr. Galilei's business who he lets to stay at his home. This isn't a Regency so you do not require permission to be here".

Pleased with how the situation has resolved itself, Mike nods to Emma:

"Thank you, Deputy French, for your assistance. We should now head to your other Haven, Mr. Galilei, Deputy French. A part from us being there when the penalty is administered, I can help make sure that the fire doesn't lead to any unpleasantness or embarassment. And yes, allowing you to carry as much as you can on you in one go out of the place is acceptable".
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1
    Aspect of the Predator active everywhere because Deputy
    Status(Academia) 3 (PhD Scholar)
    Sanguine Scribe of Terror
    Default Vitae: 9/10

7. Likes Brownlee liked this post

Emma French

PRE

"Mr. Travis, please let me know what you decide about the offer to translate some scrolls. I'm ready when you folks are." Emma didn't relax any but then again she also didn't look tense to begin with. She would relax when it was all done and no one got hurt.

PRE

Dr. Redfill's comment leaves Michael feeling placated. It's for the better. Who knows how that might have turned out.

"I'll take you up on that offer, Dr. French. Dr. Redfill has my number. Please give me a call when you would like me to get started." Michael turns again and walks back to the office.

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Thomas takes hold of the case, feeling its weight, and leaves, failing for parting words. His smile drops, unseen to his deputy entourage. Accepting such things in words is different than doing them in deed. It's a gallows walk, where he and God don't speak.

OOC: Thomas leaves Scene to comply. Great story, guys. Thanks for making me feel the tension.
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Great Scene!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread