Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 19
DISPLAYED
What a girl needs...

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

"Perhaps the church can have a collection plater after the services tomorrow Father? Perhaps a few people go down with yourself and some food. I am sure they would appreciate the gesture and if they need spiritual guidance I am sure they would ask."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

"We've actually found it's more effective to channel our efforts into the shelters," Garibaldi explained patiently.

The young -- so eager!

"It's a more effective use of money, and we know it's used properly. As far as witnessing to them, they know where the church is. As the Lord said, we much teach them to fish, rather than simply feeding them. This is just as relevant to their spiritual nourishment as their temporal flesh."

He paused, trying to figure out a way to be helpful.

"Although if you are interested in a personal ministry, I can make an announcement and see if anyone would like to join you...?"

Besides every heterosexual man in the congregation...
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Katrina frowned and shook her head in dissapointment.

"Why did you become a priest father?"

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

"It was just my calling," he replied serenely.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Ahh, he is one of thoose priests. Katrina thought to herself.

"Simply providing food is not enough father. The problem continues and we send them food to buy away our own guilt. Sure they don't go hungry but perhaps there is something more we can do. Something to help them find Jobs, get a new home. Problems they face are things like, no mailing address, no access to smart clothes for interview or even a shower. No access to medical care. Surely we can help beat the problem, rather than just letting it continue."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Garibaldi wondered if she were listening or caught up in the throes of ecstatic purpose.

"Yes, and help is the operative word. What is faith without works? A man must be willing to change, he cannot be carried. Our Savior asked us to take up our own crosses and follow him. He did not ask us to carry our drunken neighbor."

There's no heat or recrimination to the words, just simple pragmatism.

"I will meet you half way. If you go down to Squattaville and find a man who wants a job, bring him here and I will find him one."

Katrina looks down, both sad and dissapointed.

"Father, honestly." She sighed. "I do not know what has happened to the American Catholic church." She shook her head.

"The bible says also alot of things father."

"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God - Hebrews 13:16. "

"Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. Luke 6:38 , Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others Phillipians 2:4."

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. Matthew 25:35-40"

She reels out the quotes looking quite serious and business like at the priest.

"Father, when the day of judgement comes and the lord comes down with his shiny rod of judgment can you honestly say you did all you could to help your fellow man? Did you make the world a better place, one step at a time? I will say this, when God asks me what I did, succeed or fail I will be able to say that I tried."

Katrina knew a cop out when she heard one. She hoped that she could apply enough guilt to make him actually do something.

"If you want to sit here and just help the nasty cycle keep going thats fine. Rather than give people food and shelter and help them get back on their feet." She smiled. "But you know me father, when I get an idea in my head I can be stubborn."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Garibaldi sighed, and his smile faded as the girl got her diatribe on.

"I am truly sorry if you believe that I am doing less than I am able," he answered. "When we support outreach ministries, we let experts handle those tasks. Just as they let me get on the pulpit every Sunday: the right tool for the right job."

"But our support isn't transitory. It doesn't just help them help others, it is an affirmation of their own faith. It is the best of means for the best of ends."

The old man stood, looking down at Katrina.

"Maybe when you're my age you'll understand."

Ooooooh. Condescension.

"I think we are going to have to agree to disagree father." Katrina said politely. "You know me well enough though. I can get a bit too enthusiastic. I hope I have not upset or offended you. If I have I apologise. I just want to make the world a better place, one step at a time. But you are probably right." She smiled.

"I will however take you up on that offer. If I find any homless people that need a job I will still send them your way."
    She smiled, wondering how long it would take for him to ask her to stop sending him homeless people. Katrina yawned. "Sorry father, it is rather late and I need to get some sleep. It was a good service though." With that she stood up, smiled at the priest and headed out of the church.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread