Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 17
DISPLAYED
Lines

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

"Are you asking if I'd be willing to take you on as an apprentice, Theo, sweetheart?" Starling gives Theo the much less formal, and much more snobbish fake smile.

Theo looked at Starling a bit quizzically. Was he just messing with him?
    "That wasn't my intention, as such. Are you offering?"

Starling laughs a little, "These are the questions that apprentices ask their masters. If you wish to go that route, then you must ask."

Theo considered for a minute. On the one hand, becoming an apprentice could open a great many learning opportunities. On the other, he was very unsure if Starling would make him a good teacher, and much less sure if he himself would make a good student. There were many questions he would need answered before he could come to a decision like that and this wasn't the environment to ask them in. He didn't like letting Starling delay by a change of topic, but hopefully he would get his original questions answered.
    "I need some time to consider," Theo said. "Is there a time I could set up with you to discuss that topic in a few days?"

Starling chuckles softly, takes a long sip of his coffee, and then stands with a flourish. He inclines his head to Ruby, "Come see me later, if you want to gossip even more." and then turns to Theo again.

"Listen, Theo, you are a part of the Mysterium. You need to take the time to learn. It does not come in a day, or a week, or even a month. When you feel you are ready, come to me. Not a single second beforehand."

With that, Starling offers one of his smothering grins at Ruby, and escapes into the crowd outside the cafe.

The way he said "when you feel you are ready", it was almost like he thought that wasn't how Theo felt right then. Theo obviously felt ready to learn right now. It was why he had approached the subject in the first place. The reason he wasn't learning anything was because others apparently felt he wasn't ready to be told book recommendations. It seemed for Starling, opinions and helpful pointers were on a professional level equal to that of master and apprentice. Apotheosis was pretty sure Starling didn't want him to come until Starling himself felt Theo was ready, not the other way around. That of course was impossible for him to know without talking to him. A catch 22.
    Theo didn't sigh right then, even though his frustration wanted to demand a long drawn out exasperation be shown. But it would be rude to Starling, with Ruby still sitting by. So he put the sigh off till later.
    Theo gave Ruby a warn smile, "So how have you been?"

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

~~Narration~~

Ruby gives a noncommittal answer, seeming to be bothered by the fact that Starling left. After a bit, both finish their coffees and leave.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread