Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Another All-Nighter

Lately it seems to help. You find a quiet peace in the late hours of the night, by scrutinizing old case files. It's almost if Marge was nagging you to start on her honey-do list.

Next week it will have been two years since she passed. Time is supposed to heal all wounds, but this one seems to propagate as time goes on. You eye the sleeping pills you were given by your doctor.

You pull out an old familiar file. It never drew any attention at the station, even the news missed it as it happened the week after 9-11.

Case/Report Number: 84-9388-CA

Date of Report: January 05, 2002
    Date of Death: December 19, 2001
    Deceased Name: Bill Wright

Hometown of Deceased: Sacramento, CA

Apparent Cause of Death: Broken neck & back
    Ruling at the Scene: Washing machine accident
    Official Cause of Death: Blunt-force trauma to the head, and Class IV Hemorrhage
    Coroner's Official Ruling: Accident
    City, State:
    Sacramento, CA

Circumstances of death:
    Deceased was flailed to death by his washing machine, having apparently gotten both feet caught while standing in its basin during the spin cycle. Upon examination of the body at the scene, the victim's neck and back were found to be broken in several places, apparently due to stress from the twisting motion of the washer. The victim’s ankle suffered a compound fracture severing his peroneal artery leading to major blood loss. The victim's head also showed signs of trauma, having apparently been drubbed against the wooden cabinetry above the washer. There were no witnesses, so these accounts are a best-guess recreation of events by the forensic team called to the scene.

Background information:

Mr. Wright was a single man, living alone in his 3-bedroom house in the suburban residential area of Houston called Maplewood. He was known by his neighbors to be a resourceful man, always willing to lend a helping hand with plumbing, electrical, carpentry or any other kind of home-improvement or home-repair project around the neighborhood.

Events leading up to death:
    Mr. Strickson was alone in his house at the time of the accident, apparently attempting to overfill his washing machine to do a rather large load of wash. The exact circumstances are unknown, but a recreation of the events by local forensic experts place Mr. Strickson on top of the washer trying to stomp the over-sized load into the basin with the weight of his body during the wash cycle. His feet became tightly wedged among the clothes in the washing machine's basin when the washer unexplainably shifted to a spin cycle, which should have been prevented by the washer's safety mechanism.

It never sat right with you. But with the whole 9-11 buzz it quickly disappeared without any added attention.

"What do you think Marge?" you find yourself mumbling.

4:30 am and you feel you might be able to sleep.

4710 Jerry Way. Poor bastard looked like a surefire Darwin Award winner, Frank thinks as he walks slowly to his bedroom, bringing the file with him and leaving it on his nightstand, in case he can't sleep after all. He turned out the light and got into bed, but it wasn't that easy to let go...

The man had been beaten and thrashed to death by his own washing machine, for God's sake...it was something only an idiot would do, and his neighbors knew him as a sensible man...why does a single man have a 3 bedroom house?...sounds like a mob hit...should have taken more time, should have asked more questions, but the goddam terrorists...I owe him more than that. I have the time to give it to him now...

Frank falls asleep on his side of the bed, still not used to taking the entire thing up himself. In the morning, after a modest breakfast (Marge had been the cook), where he skimmed the front page of the paper before reading the sports and metro pages in their entirety. He takes a quick jog around the neighborhood; as he had gotten older, he found that getting his heart moving helped keep his mind sharp.

When he returned, sweating profusely, he had a plan. First, he'd do his due diligence with the resources at his disposal here. He'll look through his collection of reports for any similar accidents, deaths in the same area, anything that 'makes his water shake,' as his papa used to say. Then he'd make some phone calls, set up some meetings, go back to the scene. He sat down at his desk and opened the file cabinet next to it, which he had taken the time to organize since retiring, because he was in it every damn night anyway...

((OOC: not sure about the roll for this...))

((

Investigation

After a few hours reviewing the case and trying to mess the file with your old memories you have compiled a list of three things that don't "fit".

Item's of note:

1. Since the regulation for washer machine safety in the late 1940's Bill Wright is the only document death in this fashion. There have been electrocution and drownings, but nothing of this fashion.

2. This is more of a hunch, but from the photo's you feel the cabinetry would showed some damage if it had been the cause of the blunt force trauma to Bill's head. This could be a factor of the way the picture was taken and the fact you are working from a copy.

3. From the data you have, it seems there was no laundry detergent in the load being washed.

Rizzo takes off his reading glasses, runs his hand over his face, and sighs heavily. How could I have missed this, even with everything going on? Mr. Wright was murdered.

He picks up the phone on his desk and, after a moment's hesitation while he recalled the number, dials another retiree, an old...not friend, certainly, more like...Family. He waits for one of Mr. Antonucci's assistants to answer, tells them his name, that it's important, and waits to speak with the once and former Don.

"Always good to hear from you Frank. OOOhhshhhesh.. Its been a while, Frank. What is the nature of your call." Tony Antonucci had always been to the point. He sprinkles in obviously insincere niceties at times.

The man was efficient, and true to what he said. All of Frank's dealing with Tony had been exactly what Frank had bargained for. Tony was so professional it was hard to meld that facet of him to a criminal element.

"This is a courtesy call, Tony," Rizzo says, and tries to explain the situation without being explicit over the phone. "I'll get right to it. I've found something in my old files that I need to pursue. If it's one of yours, that's all I need to know and this manila folder will get lost in a closet somewhere. Is it safe to talk now, or should I come by your place?"

"Damn you old dawwg. You can't put it down huh? Doing so PI work now? You know our paper trail and filing system routinely suffer catastrophic failure. Just a month ago the crapper broke and flooded us out, destroyed most of our files. But I don't recall ever doing anything that sloppy EVER. I am almost insulted you would think of me in this case" He says sarcastically and Rizzo know the grin that is on his face.

"I'm just as retired as you!" he jokes back. "Thanks for clearing that up, Tony. I didn't want to dig up any trouble for you. To be honest, I don't think there's gonna be an easy explanation on this one. But, Lord willing, I got time to find the answers." His voice drops a bit to convey his sincerity when he says, "Thanks again for sending flowers to the funeral, it was a nice gesture. Maybe I'll drop by the club soon and have a drink." Rizzo says goodbye to the mobster and walks slowly to the bathroom.

He cleans himself up from his jog earlier, then puts on a white collared shirt, black pants, black shoes, and, upon due consideration, straps on his holster, loads it with his old Glock, and puts on a dark trenchcoat, and puts an extra clip in the pocket. Can't be too careful. He picks up the keys to his old Dodge on the way out, locks up the small apartment, and drives over to 4710 Jerry Way. He needs to get inside, to see the scene again, and thinks he can talk his way in even if it's occupied.

((he also brings the case files with him ))