Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
All in a Day's Work

Jamie Roe sits, leaning against a building on the corner of J Street and 16th. His cap is sitting on the sidewalk next to him, facing up. Inside the cap are a few crumpled singles and some change. In his hand is a brown paper bag, concealed in which is a bottle of MacGregor's Scotch. As cheap as it is potent.

A woman walks by and drops fifty cents in his cap, to which Jamie mumbles a garbled "Thanks... God blesh yas." Looking up he notices the light waning in downtown Sacramento as the day turns to dusk. He clambers to his feet, fingering through the dollars and cents in his cap.

"Hmmmmm... $4.72."

He seems to be satisfied. He wads up the money, collecting the change, and stuffs it into pocket. He tips the bottle back, taking a few swallows of scotch that slide down his throat and burn like fire in his empty stomach.

He needs to get something to eat. He trundles off, heading to get a McDouble, a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger or a 7-11 Big Bite hot dog. Something.

As Jamie is getting up a leathery weather worn hand offers him help up. He looks up to see a weather beaten woman of no less than 50. She is dressed plainly in casual clothes.

"I a Pam, whats your name friend?" she says with an earthly sincere smile.

Her hair is pull back in a ponytail. It's mostly gray but there are hints that she was once a blonde.

Jamie gladly takes the hand up, finding his balance after he makes it to his feet. He nods at Pam. "Good to meetcha, Pam. The name's Jamie. Thanks for the hand up. You want a knock?" He holds out the brown-bagged-bottle to her.

Continuing to smile "Oh I think I have had one too many of those Jamie. Are you hungry? I know a good place to eat and the price is right."

You notice a symbol on her t shirt of a fish and a loaf of bread. She sees you looking at it. "Yes dear I am with Sacramento loaves and Fishes have you heard of us?"

Jamie thinks a bit, but all the religious zealots all seem to blur together in his mind.

Jamie casts a suspicious glance at Pam "That anything like the Water to Wine boys down at the shelter? Pah! Save it. Yer God don't want me."

He begins shuffling down the sidewalk "I'll get a bite ta eat, though. If ya can manage to keep the preachin down to a dull roar." He takes a drink from the bottle. "No disrespect, a'course." he amends.

It seems as if her tender, motherly smile, is as burned into her face as her weathered tan.

"The Good Word is not for everyone Jamie, I don't kid myself. On the other hand we all gots to eat. The only thing better than free food is good free food. Let's go get our fill then friend."

Passing a garbage can she indicates it is time to loose the rot gut.

Jamie looks at Pam like she'd sprouted an extra head, four extra tits, her skin had turned green, and she was trying to stick her tongue in his ear.

Finally understanding. "You mean throw away my... I paid for this goddamnit!" he hollers.

He shakes the bottle, looking at it. It was more than half empty. He takes one more swig and then tosses it in the trash. After all, with any luck it would still be here later and if not then he could buy another one with the money he wouldn't be spending on food.

"Are ya happy now, Pam? Booze's gone. Now, you guys got anything 'sides just Fishes and Loaves where we're goin?"

Jamie pulls a battered box of 305 brand cigarettes from his pocket and lights one up. "Does God care if I smoke?"

"Smoke it up now, I am sure God cares but its California that won't let you smoke inside our cafeteria." she says as she lights up a slim menthol.

"How long have you been on the streets? I was off and on them for about two decades." She thinks for a second "It's been almost five years since I have been off of them now" She herself seemed surprised by that statement.

She draws hard on the cheap menthol. She had been a life long smoker her teeth and fingers stood testament to it.

He trundles along down the sidewalk beside her, the streetlights flicker on as the twilight turns to nighttime. "Ehh about thirteen years, now. Ever since I got kicked off the job I was working."

He answers her next questions without needing to hear them "Was military stuff, top secret." he chuckles dryly "I know that bums like me are always sayin shit like that, but is true. Take it or leave it. They discharged me cause of my drinking. Said I was no longer a 'reliable asset,' or some shit."

"I stayed in my house for two more years after that, before the debt collectors came calling. I guess I'm no good with money cause they were pissed at me, lemme tell you."

"I do alright, out here. I was trained to survive pretty much fucking anywhere, and it isn't hard to get by. I guess you can kind of say I don't really even care anymore."

Rounding a corner Pam says "We all can make it, but we can do more than that Jamie." Pam pauses to let that settle in. But the thoughtful silence is shattered by a primal scream.

http://nwod.org/forum/showpost.php?p=6829&postcount=3