Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
A little B&E - Babysitting and Entertainment

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

"I guess so," Mercy says. "Honestly, no one's called. I don't know if he even has clients, maybe he just rents an office so he can pretend he's Phoenix Wright. I mean, I guess he must," she adds quickly in realization of her unprofessional demeanor. "Work at home, I mean."

The Prince's Ghoul
    The Prince's Ghoul
    This Mortal Coil

I give her a blank look at the name Phoenix Wright. No sense in her thinking we could actually be friends.

"Well, there are days I'd take it over what I do," I answer with a grin. A hand clicks out a soft staccato with my nails as if I'm thinking of something.

"So you have a personal number for him?"

"No," Mercy says with a shake of her head (hair slipping down in front of her eyes again). She fixes it and adds, "I mean, he calls in once or twice a day just to see if I need anything or anyone's called."

The Prince's Ghoul
    The Prince's Ghoul
    This Mortal Coil

"Oh," I say, trying to hide my disappointment.

I wave a hand, "I'm sorry... just trying to make up on holiday bills I ran up with a sale." I offer a weak smile.

This is like being at one of those social functions I hate... I'm not sure what to say, or how to leave.

"What did you think?"
    I finally ask, gesturing to the computer screen as I pull my jump drive out. Hopefully it's got something for me.

I'll be damned if I pretend to be a Girl Scout selling cookies to get into Karabas' house.

Mercy shrugs and says, "It seems like a handy program?" Her tone is a mix of apathy and ignorance--even with the demo she has no idea what the thing does, but doesn't care. Looks like someone isn't going to make a sale.

But hopefully the flash drive has more to give out.

The Prince's Ghoul
    The Prince's Ghoul
    This Mortal Coil

As the silence stretches out, I wonder if the window glass is reinforced, or if I could simply throw myself out of it.

It might be less painful.

Finally, I make a startled move and pull my phone out.

"Damnit, it's work,"
    I lie.

Standing up, I pull a pen out. "Before I forget, Mercy, what's your last name? Just in case the paper pushers get picky over my sales log..."

"Oh!" Mercy says, "It's Park. Is anybody going to be calling me, or...?" Her tone is chipper and happy-to-help but body language says Please God no. She opens desk drawer and withdraws a business card. "Here's our info, in case this helps."

The Prince's Ghoul
    The Prince's Ghoul
    This Mortal Coil

"No way," I shake my head, as if disgusted with the phantom Accounting Department. "You know how those types are, though, if there's a blank on a form, it needs filling... and there's already enough Smiths from days I've taken to go job-hunting."

I put the card and phone away and turn to face Mercy with my hands folded. "Thank you so much, by the way. I'm sure I've been a total pain."

She laughs. "No, no, it's been great actually, having someone around to talk to. My dog's getting pretty bored about hearing about this place when I get home. So thank you for coming in, Jenny. Have a good one, okay?"

The Prince's Ghoul
    The Prince's Ghoul
    This Mortal Coil

"You, too, Mercy, thanks," I say, getting up, smiling a genuine smile. I'm reminded of the Alanis song, All I Really Want: 'And I am fascinated by the spiritual man; I am humbled by his humble nature.'

I pack my things up and make my way out, curious to see if my fishing expedition turned anything up.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3