Watch
81 - 87
DISPLAYED
Books

(PrP) Tunnel Trip Telegraph
Jul 16, 2021 - Aug 18, 2021
(DiT) Winners only
Apr 25, 2022 - May 25, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 9 of 9 First ... 5 6 7 8 9
    E
    ErlangShen

Found this via my Facebook friends. Links in bold.

The Dictators Handbook
    A guide for understanding the logistics of how to become and maintain yourself as prince, or similar position of power. Learn about the keys to power, who they are in your city, and how to appease and keep them on your side.

Good To Great
    A book that should be required for every elder and house head, on how to manage and improve your House. This looks at simple leadership tools that you should use to get and keep the right people, and strategies to improve your group as a whole.

Great by Choice
    A book that looks at how to establish and what any group, house, or similar group should focus on. It is another book that addresses leadership requirements and things groups establishing themselves should focus on.

How the Mighty Fall

A book that deals with the common foils and follies of leadership, and the mistakes that can be avoided and how to escape them, for groups vulnerable to capitulating due to bad leadership.

The Way of Men
    Deals with gang culture and dynamics, and virtues that those groups should adhear to and idolize. (Disclaimer warning, the book is mildly sexist)

Red Platoon

This is the retelling of a battle in northern Afghanistan from the perspective of a medal of honor winner. It talks about what is necessary when everything goes to shit and sideways, and how to persevere and overcome in the face of total adversity.

The Way of the Scorpion (L5R 1st Edition clan book)
    A guide to subty, cunning, and spycraft, among other things, as well as basic underhanded political techniques and ideas.

Tokyo Vice - Jake Adelstein

A Burglar’s Guide to the City
    How to view a city and is infrastructure like a burglar and look for ways to exploit and use it in unexpected ways.

The Prince of Thorns Trilogy
    Deals with playing a political sociopath, addressing when and how to adhere to the social contract and when to ignore it.

Leviathan
    Address the founding principles of the Camarilla and their politics. Understanding this political theory will greatly improve your enjoyment of the Vampire the Masquerade as a setting.

The Godfather
    Details out how a Prince, House head, or similar body head should act and surround themselves with dedicated and loyal agents. Also a good guide to basic gang structure and politics.

Red Team: How to Succeed by Thinking like the Enemy
    How to analyze and attack your ideas and approach situations by using the concept of the devil advocate.

48 Laws of Power
    A thesis on political theory and intrigue, and provides guidance on when and how to exploit various common circumstances.

Game Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
    Deals with the concept of game theory and how to exploit and analyze a situation in the context of Game theory.

Why Intelligence Fails
    Deals with how intelligence gathering and analysis can fail, in the face of willful negligence, target focus, and misinformation.

The Caine Mutiny
    Addresses that sometimes doing what seems right in the moment the the face of legal authority, is hard to justify and uphold, when placed against tradition and social norms.

The Art of Deception: controlling the Human Element of Security

Deception, social engineering, and exploitation of the human element as a basic guide.

The Count de monte cristo
    How to plan for the long term and deal with social and political repercussions, in a political society.

The great book of amber

politics and backstabbing in a world where everyone lies

Argo
    information, exfiltration, how to spy and get away with shit

On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons of the Twentieth Century
    A book either excellent as a how-to on political tyranny as well as how to prevent or fight it on a very basic, pragmatic and usable guide level.

Imperial Radch Trilogy

A series set primarily in a post-gender sci-fi Imperium, very rigid and interesting in it’s culture and politics, and set around how revenge and revolution interact with mystery and broader politics.

E
    ErlangShen

James S.A. Corey is amazing. Give this man all of your money.

The Expanse three book box set.

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

I'm currently working through book 2 and my SO is on the latest and grumpy with me not being caught up yet lol. So I would tend to agree with this assessment.

E
    ErlangShen

deltadream , don't forget to pre-order the eighth book. Comes out in December!

Kaze
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco
    Kaze

Striking Looks (Fit and Healthy Glow) 2
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco

Two books by Rory Miller I recommend for RP writing in particular I think all his books are amazing):

Violence: A Writer's Guide

"This is not about writing technique. It is an introduction to the world of violence. To the parts that people don’t understand. The parts that books and movies get wrong. Not just the mechanics, but how people who live in a violent world think and feel about what they do and what they see done."

Talking Them Through: Crisis Communications with the Emotionally Disturbed and Mentally Ill
    "Drawing on extensive experience with unstable, violent, intoxicated and mentally ill people, former Corrections Sergeant Rory Miller delivers a street-level guide to building rapport, taking command and avoiding force."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

And some of the things I read...

Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires by Richard Sugg. A chunky book examining the reasons for, and mindset behind, the practice of Corpse medicine in Europe during the 16th, 17th and early 18th centuries.

The Tale of Tales by Giambattista Basile; the Complete Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault; the Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales by Franz Xaver von Schonwerth. The original fairy tales - before they were clean up, dumbed down, and sold as children's stories.

The Astronomer and the Witch by Ulinka Rublack. Microhistory. An examination of Johannes Kepler and his battle to save his mother from a witchcraft charge (yep. THAT Kepler. The one who discovered the laws of planetary motion).

Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre
    Espionage, Nazis, bizarre plots, and corpses ensuring allied victory in World War II. Non-fiction it adds extra emphasis to the idea that the devil is in the details.

The writer's guide to everyday life in the wild west by Candy Moulton
    Part of a series of how to guide for writing stories in a past ages. Probably useful for writing up any long lived vampires PC or NPC that wishes to reminisce. Or for a powerful NPC wanting to give a "back in my day" speech or have past confusion moment for flavour.

The story structure architect: a writer's guide to building dramatic situations & compelling characters

Careers for your characters : a writer's guide to 99 professions from architect to zookeeper

A couple of references for fleshing out a PC or a NPC.

Novelist: I work at a library so I will say this is a great database. Liked a book but it was the last in the series? Don't know what to read next? Check the one you liked here and find a similar title. It looks like it is available via Sacramento Public Library though IDK if you'd need a library card or if it is free in state. Worth a shot.

Page 9 of 9 First ... 5 6 7 8 9
+ Reply to Thread