11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Character Creation (Info in First Post)

(449) Come All Ye Faithful
Mar 7, 2017 - Mar 29, 2017
Page 2 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Why don't you just submit the toon and we'll go over the problems then rather than play twenty questions about every single facet?
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

0 Scenes

Okay!

Probably tomorrow or the next day I'll get her submitted.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

How about albinism? I know that a far few people are...uh...put off by their appearance, would that work as a Nos Curse? Even if the avatar/actor/character are pretty?
    Sure, we've had albinos before.
    And with the exact same faceclaim

(Penelope Rebane, if anyone is wondering/remembers)
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

0 Scenes

LOL I saw the model and thought she was stunning! I had too! :P

A
    Alkeni Synair

Okay, so I've looked over the rules, and I have a few questions, especially in terms of how my character fits into the ongoing setting you guys have going (which I think is an awesome idea).

First: So my character starts out already a vampire, correct? That would mean I either need to create some sort of OC sire for their background or find another player or NPC to be their sire, correct? And if they're not playing a vampire that hasn't just moved to Sacramento (If I'm reading the wiki right, that's where all this is set), their sire would presumably also be in Sacremento, or near it, no?

Second: I've been kicking around an idea for a Vampire Character that I've been wanting to play for a while, and I want to know how well it would fit or if there's some sort of issue that inhibits her from being used:

Sarah Townsend had just finished up her Masters in History when her boyfriend, Mark Farrell, was Embraced. Mark had been studying occult myths and legends, as an Academic topic (for his PhD) and the elements of truth that lurked behind them - basically, he got in over his head and ran into a real vampire, who was intrigued by his determination to know (and his unwillingness to just ignore things, like most people did). Said Mekhet embraced him. Mark was careful to not feed on Sarah (though they kept dating) and managed to keep her from figuring out what he was - but one night, he lost control and drained her. He Embraced her before she could die, but Sarah didn't take it very well, and within a few months, things had deteriorated completely - Sarah despises Mark for what he did to her, and now that she understands enough about what she is to, you know, survive, she's run away from the city she'd been in (and where Mark still is) and ended up in Sacremento, a brand new arrival in the city.

[hr]

Is there any sort of problem with this character concept?

And finally Third: So I just go ahead and make character?

A
    Alkeni Synair

Two more questions, since I'm here. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many too quickly.

My thought pattern for this character, when I first started crafting her in my head, was for her to be Ordo Dracul, as that is the covenant I'm most interested in, thematically (and the Ordo Dracul sourcebooks is one of the books I own). With her being a new arrival, that might not work, practically, for her to be one at the start. But I was wondering if I might be able to spend some of her starting 30 XP on a Coil, assuming I give her Status 1 (Ordo Dracul) in amongst her Merits (either her initial 7 dots or with those 30 XP points) - though I'm not sure that's something I could actually do myself, since It's not clear to me if Covenant Status works similar to your Domain Status house rules or not.

If, rules-wise, I could do that, would it be reasonable for her to have it? My thought process was that Mark (who joined the Ordo Dracul) inducted her into the Ordo and taught her the first Coil of Blood - Blood Seeps Slowly - so that she'd have to feed less often (which reduces risks for the both of them) before she ran, and she actually finds the Ordo's ideas to be good, much as she hates Mark now, (though she wouldn't have much exposure to other Covenants and how they think, tbh)

-------

Second question: Sarah has a Masters in History as part of her backstory, at least, that's my intent. But on the Status page, you say: "Status should be taken to represent higher learning or professional certifications. Examples: Bachelors or Masters degrees require a minimum Status ●", so does she have to have Status 1 to represent her Masters Degree, or, if I didn't buy it, it would merely be that her degree doesn't afford her any social benefits or whatnot, at least not until she gets some points in Status (Academia) - or whatever subcategory it would be - if she does at all?

Again, sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

First Question: Yep. Your character starts out as a Vampire. Sires are considered "out of area" and can be pretty much wherever you want them to be - even ashed, in Torpor, or on another continent (for example, when I had a Vampire character, their Sire was in Torpor, in what is now Poland).

Second Question: Concept is fine but please note, NO FRESH OFF THE BOAT Embraces. Your character can still be a young vampire - but she will know how to feed, the basics of the Vampire condition, and have a rough understanding of the Covenants, Clans, Domains and so on. Given that she has been on the run since leaving her Sire (going by your notes) she can easily have filled out her understanding on the way to Sacramento.

Third Question: Yep. Use the Vampire Character Submission form and go from there. The process could take a few days to a week, depending if the STs need to hammer anything out with you

Your other Questions...

Yes, you can spend allocate some of your 30XP to a Coil. Yes, you can allocate some of your 30XP to purchasing Ordo Dracul Status (it means you are recognised by the Covenant at large; anything further must come through player character interaction).

No, you don't have to purchase Status: Academia ● in order to have a high Academics skill or background. It just means that you won't have the mechanical benefits of Status 1 in that area.

8. Likes West liked this post
    A
    Alkeni Synair

No, I wasn't thinking totally fresh off the boat - she'd have a limited understanding of other clans and Covenants (colored by the Ordo's perspective), but she'd understand the basics and the fundamentals of being a vampire.

Thanks for the help!

Ciara Maskelyne

Just an add-on to YYC's advice: Familiarize yourself with formal Court and the way to behave in it. It isn't really covered in the books and we've had a few... unfortunate incidents with new players/toons that made a horse's rear end of themselves in Court.

There's one going on right now in the Eternal Court subthread as well as an archive of all the past ones.

See if you can find the one were someone tried to Dominate the... Archon I think it was?

11. Likes deltadream liked this post

Hello All!

So, I wanted to make contact re: a concept I'm hoping to introduce here, largely because I am trying to push myself out of my comfort zone in terms of character, but also because I'd like to see whether you all think this concept would work in this context.

The "comfort zone" issue concerns my usual proclivity for playing characters who might be termed thoughtful, studious, or subtle. It seems that every time I come up with a concept, I tend to move toward the Mekhet artist, or the Nosferatu scholar, or the Daeva behind-the-scenes manipulator, etc. Obviously, I love these types of characters, but I'm really hoping to expand my experience as a player.

To that end, I've come up with a much more physical character, a Nosferatu fixer, a former cop who became a ghoul and then the childe of a well-established Nosferatu in LA (see question below concerning LA in the EoD world). He's fairly young (10 years dead), but good at what he does--a real operator. He also enters Sacramento primed for growth--I wanted to make sure he wasn't just a lump, but a character who would be forced to change through time. He leaves LA after the destruction of his sire by one of his many enemies (exactly who is unclear), and finds himself in a new city without direction or any real contacts. Does he find a new boss (something he would be most comfortable with)? Does he freelance? Does he strike out on his own--and what does this last option even look like? Anyway, just wanted to give the you sense that this wouldn't just be a mindless brute (though he is quite capable of brutality); rather I see him as an individual who is still learning exactly what it is he wants, and as a prospective addition to the vamp community that has a lot to offer its other members (no matter how distasteful they might find him).

So: any feedback welcome! Please, have at me!

And: a few questions--

1) I've looked at the lore / backstory that has accrued around other domains on the Wiki, but haven't found any mention of Los Angeles. Is there anything I should know / anywhere I should look as I formalize this character's history?

2) Speaking of history, how long should my character history be for submission? I want to avoid overwhelming my reader, so looking for a hard and fast word count (if one is available).

3) Finally, any suggestions concerning how I might work this character into the ongoing world of your story / any characters he might look up, etc. would be awesome. Don't want you to do my work for me, obviously, but if you've read this far and you have a character who you'd love to introduce to my guy, please let me know!

OK, tl;dr haha,
    C

Page 2 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread