Neil waited outside of Capital Climbing School, with a smile. He had been wanting to see Alison for a while, and just as importantly, forget about the Freehold... just for a bit.

It still bothered him that that he had this Big Secret, and knew that sooner or later that this, too, would end. The down-to-earth nature of Alison was pure, and he felt... unclean... for the deceit.

Hi, honey, how was your day?

Oh, same old, same old. Killed a Hedge Beast, started a Court War, stole some emotions. You know how it is.

He pushed the thoughts aside, and a flurry of snowflakes buffeted his face, in defiance of his denial -- or celebration of his cold lie. Run as fast as you can, you can't run from yourself.

The normal accouterments had been left behind; a phone that might randomly summon him, and the weapons whose comforting weight had been part of his identity for so long now.

Instead, he was just Neil, albeit in the ubiquitous toggle coat, waiting by Alison's jeep.

After getting off work Alison made her way out the front door of the climbing school through the parking lot to her jeep. As frustrating as some of her clients had been over all it was a good day and she was ready to kick back and relax.

She was more than a little surprised to see Neil standing by her jeep and she gave him a big smile as she approached, "Hey there babe. Long time no see."

When she is close enough Alison will give Neil a big hug and a quick peck on the lips before releasing him and pulling away.

Neil returns the kiss and ups the hug's ante with a quick butt squeeze; the one that says 'you're so hot i can't help it, but i'm trying not to embarrass you in public'. That one.

"I know, I know," he answers with a smile, being a gentleman and accepting the blame. "I'm sorry, work has been a little nutty, and I've had some other crap."

Inwardly he cringed; outwardly, the Fairest's Prismatic Heart delivered the line flawlessly. He'd debated on how to refer to Freeholders... and just given up. The faint consolation was that he hadn't started right off by lying. A slight eyeroll at the end of the explanation said whaddaya do?

"So I'm going to make it up to you by kidnapping you for the evening," he continued, although a questioning eyebrow said she was free to decline, since it was an abrupt surprise.

Alison grinned as he squeezed her butt and decided to return the favor. Shit I missed this, so why did I wait so long to get back to him?

"I'm sorry about not stopping by either. I got busy and then never made the time...sorry. I enrolled in College to finish my degree and so I've been busy lately." She paused for a moment thinking over his plan, "Kidnapping me eh? That sound like fun. Do I need to change clothes first?"

"Absolutely," Neil replied seriously. "We have a six hour wine and cheese tasting extravaganza ahead of us," he explained, holding up two tickets with a proud look.

"No, we're not," he grinned, throwing the props --used movie tickets-- into the wind. "I just wanted to see your expression. You know you wanted to cry."

"Theater? We'll both fall asleep. Swing Danging? Screw that, I dance half the day. Bowling and beer? Maybe some other night, I can see you're tempted though, don't deny it," he smiled as he went through the options, an arm wrapped comfortably around her.

"OK, this is my final offer: We're going to get in a ridiculously small go-kart with wings, take a flying tour of the city, then go have fondue. So... the big questions are whether or not you get airsick, or if you mind cheese and/or chocolate on what you're wearing."

When Neil mentioned the wine and cheese tasting she gave him a complicated look, one of what the fuck are you serious mixed with oh that's nice I'm trying to be polite. After he revealed the joke she laughed heartily. "Oh god you scared me there for a moment. I got dragged to a high class cigarbar for new years and was out of place as hell there."

At the mention of bowling Alison perked up and grinned, "Hell ya I'm tempted. We'll have to take a rain-check on that one. I'll find something I can beat you at yet. Just you wait."

Alison wrapped her arm around Neil as he wrapped his around her. "You know...that just sounds crazy enough to be fun. I'm a tough old gal and it would take more than flying to get me sick. So I guess my question to you is if you mind hangin' out with a girl before she's had a chance to shower?" She finished with a laugh.

Neil looked askance at the mention of a cigar bar. "A who what? For... why?" He shook his head slightly, not really needing an answer, as she continued.

OK, seriously, who didn't want a shower after work? No one had ever said he was a planner. Hell, he'd probably thought of the glider tour just to get some distance and perspective on the city, all things considered.

"Wellll, I have such delicate sensibilities," he frowned. Neil pressed his nose to the top of Alison's head and inhaled deeply, then kissing her hair, to let her know he wasn't serious.

"What about the shower thing, then bowling? We can do the tour some other time."

"Well I suppose you're right. We went base jumping already so bowling and immense quantities of alcohol sound wonderful." She looked at Neil and then at her jeep, "I assume that we're taking my ride? It won't take me long to get ready."

God with this man it is hard to judge what is play and what is serious.

She started to make her way toward her jeep.

Neil gave her a pained and apologetic nod. "I'm getting a truck next week, I think. I read that you can lease a Toyota Tundra for something crazy like $200 a month."

He waited for her to unlock it, then climbed in. "It wasn't that big of a deal before, since I lived at Glissade, but it's started to get inconvenient."

A pause, then long fingers reached out to touch Alison's forearm. "We can do the air tour still... or bowling... or whatever you want. I'm cool with anything, if you have a preference."

If it weren't for the Prismatic Heart, Alison might see some of the subtext; that the Fairest just wanted to see her, to get away from the past month of his life.

Alison reached out and briefly gave his hand a squeeze when he reached over to touch her arm. Smiling she replied, "I'm just glad to see you again babe." She thought for a moment after releasing his hand.

"So since it has been such a long time I think we need to celebrate. So bowling and beer sound great. Besides it will give me an great excuse to check out that ass of yours while you line up your bowl," Alison finished with a big laugh and then started up her jeep.

That got a laugh -- a much needed one. Partly because he hadn't bowled since junior high, and Alison was in for a lot more of his ass watching him chase dropped balls than she probably realized.

"That is a totally awesome idea. I think I saw the Man Police lurking outside to take my Man Card after dancing all day -- bowling should get me on probation, at least," he said, still chuckling as he settled down into the seat.

"So how did you go from the, uh, military to teaching climbing?" he asked, unsure if the pictures he'd seen before were Army or Marines. "I don't know anything about the military or guns," he added.

Alison laughed at Neil's joke, "Well that's no good. I'll just need to make sure you earn back that card before the night's over with."

As she put the vehicle into drive and pulled onto the road, Alison decided to answer his question. "Well, I wanted to be a cop since I was in high school. So I joined the Marines as Military Police working dog handler. I had hoped to get some working experience then go to school. However, it didn't work out that way. I got kicked out because of an incident at the kennel. I don't remember what happened, but all the dogs were dead and I was unconscious when they found me. I got the boot and went to Colorado to stay with family. I did a lot of climbing and jumping while I was in the military. Since I was qualified I got a job teaching it while I went to school. After yappin' my congressman's ear off I got them to upgrade my discharge so now I'm just hoping to finish school and get hired into law enforcement."

"Well, I've got a couple of merit badges I could use help with," Neil replied with a sly grin.

Neil squinted as they drove, the wind whipping his hair into his eyes. It seemed no matter how frequently --or short-- he cut it, the unruly mop reappeared days later. It was enough to wonder if his Keeper had 'tinkered' with that, as well.

"Wow, that's weird," he commented, looking over at her, as she talked about the kennel incident. Like, really weird. "And it sucks... but at least you got your discharge fixed, right?"

All he knew of the military, he knew from his father's conscripted service in the Russian Army; while 99.99% of that didn't apply here, he bet that getting 'the boot' was equally undesirable.

"Law Enforcement? I know a Captain at one of the Precincts, if you're serious... a lot of their people train with me at Glissade for hand to hand stuff."

The irony was that what he did the least well of all of his areas of expertise, was the most profitable. He held his hair with his hand as he looked over, to see how serious Alison was.

Handcuff jokes could come later.

"Really?!" Alison asked obviously interested. "That would kick so much ass! If you would be able to help me get my foot in the door I'd really appreciate it. With my training and prior service I should be a strong candidate for employment, especially when I finish my degree. This climbing gig is something to help pay the bills and it is something I enjoy."

Neil sat up slightly as Alison's residence came into view. "Sure," he nodded, brows furrowed in a rare display to total seriousness. "I'm sure he could write a letter or something to fast-track your app or waive any problems. I'll call him and see if we can't all get together or something as soon as you finish your degree, if you want."

A firm nod to seal the deal, and Neil smiled; inside, he cringed as he realized this was the beginning of the end. If they got 'serious', how long until she ran him through police databases out of curiosity, maybe just looking for juvenile dirt to tease him about? He knew his IDs and paperwork were good enough for a small business and cursory check -- they'd never stand up to actual curiosity.

He felt the Wisp inside flutter, as if to say I told you so.

"I really appreciate that Neil," Alison said smiling as she pulled up to her appartment and hopped out of the jeep. She lead Neil up to her place and opened the door.

"Here we go," she said as she walked in. "I'll just be a couple of minutes. Make yourself at home." When she finished she made her way toward the bathroom pulling off her shirt as she rounded a corner.

Neil followed, smiling, but silent. As she left, he looked around again, stopping by each of the pictures. Friends... family... history. Neil's studio above Glissade didn't have pictures. At least, not pictures like this. There was a photo album he had, on a shelf, with some newspaper clippings.

Memories.

Memories of things that never were; things that could have been.

Older clippings, of an Olympic hopeful too young too young then, and too old now, to be anyone he knew.

He rubbed his brow, suddenly feeling like an intruder. A stab of guilt, at lies he hadn't told yet. Sorrow, for all things lost, things that would be lost.

And hope.

Hope that Alison would find someone that would appreciate her down-to-earth frankness; someone who would kiss her scars. Hope that he would find someone he could be honest with.

"You did teach me how to laugh again," he murmured with a smile, touching a picture.

Neil looked across the room, at the corner she'd disappeared behind.

"Alison?" he called out, walking around the corner.

Alison had just finished a quick shower and was walking to her room with a towel on when she heard Neil call out her name. She paused in the hall and looked at him with a smile. "Hey, sorry I took so long just give me a sec and I'll be dressed. Did you need something babe?"

Neil wasn't used to awkward moments; he definitely wasn't used to not doing the natural thing when confronted with a pretty girl in a towel... especially one as attractive as Alison, who could be a Fairest in her own right.

It would be so much easier to reach out and slip his fingers between the towel and smooth skin, and let his lips and actions lie for him.

His hand reached up, running fingers through his tousled hair, and his eyes skittered across the room before finally settling on hers.

"This is... crazy, and stupid... of me -- and it's me, not you. Can we just be... friends?" he finally asked. For once he suppressed the Polychromatic Heart, letting his expressive eyes show the sorrow and regret.

Alison stood there stunned. Where the he'll did that come from? Sounds like this was building up...so he was leading me on when we met today? As Alison considered this she felt her anger flare up and clenched her teeth tightly.

Chill, Alison, she told herself taking a deep breath and relaxing. You told him we weren't going out. Guess he was just looking for a few quickies after all.

Then her face briefly flashed a look of pain before she averted her gaze by turning her back to him. A few seconds later she was laughing to hide the hurt, however, despite her best efforts it was obvious what she was doing. "Hey man...uh...we were only messin' around and having fun anyway. Don't worry about it we're still buds."

She paused for second before speaking in a barely audible more serious tone, "It was something I said or maybe something I did...isn't it? Sorry, I can come across a little strong. I know a lot of guys don't like that."

The white rage of Summer was the Season Neil knew least, and the sudden flash of it --directed at himself-- made Neil clench his eyes shut for a moment.

In the darkness, he questioned.

Wasn't this what he wanted? He could finish what he had started when he walked out of the Four Seasons. All he needed to do was to let it all go, and lie. To simply say he didn't want to continue an 'open' relationship. That he wanted commitment. He could tell that she would accept the lie; forgive him.

"No, I wasn't," he said instead, eyes opening, letting the web of lies in his mind's eye dissolve. "I wasn't messing around."

"And... no... it's not you. At all. You come across just fine... fine enough I care about you a great deal. Alison, you deserve to be the most important thing in someone's life, and that someone can't be me. And I don't want to lie to you, and have you find that out, later."

Neil stepped closer, reaching out to touch a shoulder, wrapping his arms around her.

"Because right now we can still be friends."

Alison stood there silently and leaned back against him while slowly rubbing his arms with one of her hands. After a while she finally answered in the weary tone of someone accepting the inevitable.

"Ok. It would be nice if we could stay friends." A soft chuckle reached her lips as she continued, "It was hella fun while it lasted and I'll certainly miss the intimacy. Guess I'll be making more me time." Alison smiled weakly as she finished with her jest.

"We will, I promise," Neil replied, resting his cheek against wet hair. "I mean that, I want you to keep coming to Glissade, and I want to see if my friend can help with you being a cop. I can be the best friend you have."

And that was all, was left unsaid.

"I may even demand veto power over any new boyfriends,"
he joked. It sounded hollow in his ears, though, a bitter and sorry attempt to affirm the new distance.

"I'll miss the intimacy too,"
he sighed. Part of him wanted to point out that they could still 'have fun', but her words made it fairly clear that wasn't the case. And, if he were honest with himself... that would be the best for him, as well.

"Which really leads me to say you need to change so we can head out before your new friend does or says something inappropriate,"
Neil laughed softly, all too aware of the warm curves pressed against him.

Alison laughed as he mentioned vetoing her choice of boyfriends.

"Well, we are both single now so there's nothing wrong with inappropriate..." she finished with a grin.

"Really?"
Neil asked, surprised. He shouldn't have been -- Alison's directness was one of her most endearing traits.

As much as he wanted to, he couldn't help himself.

One hand slipped down to the edge of the towel, sliding it up. "So, you're saying that this isn't inappropriate?" he asked softly, kissing her neck.

"Inappropriate?" Alison asked shocked. "I've never known anything to be more appropriate." She finished with a small moan of satisfaction as his lips brushed against her neck.

"I don't have a problem being friends and doing this...you're not going to are you?" Alison asked breathlessly clearly enjoying Neil's attention.

If he had to, Neil would admit that he was an excellent partner for casual sex; unfortunately, when you actually care about the person --even as friends-- it's very hard to be entirely casual. The fact was, there were other hard things that had to be dealt with, and more pressing. The first for Neil, and the second for Alison.

His hand moved back up to the top of the towel and unhooked it, and he slipped an arm behind her legs to pick Alison up.

"I may just have to try it and find out,"
he admitted with a grin before kissing her again and heading for the couch.