Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Used Book Sale

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Jordan never could figure out why hallways seemed so much longer than one expected. It didn't look like the site of a pitched battle between Pentacle mages and Banishers, but looks were notoriously deceiving. As he made slow steps towards the Kruegen library, he reflected.

This is anything but an ideal research spot. Jordan's task was actually simple. Go through the library, identify potentially useful volumes, pack them up and skedaddle. He liked the skedaddle part. In better surroundings, the young scholar would take a deeper dive. On the one hand, material here might be able to discuss linguistic drift in Atlantean runes...a Rosetta stone if the journals were ever recovered. Best case, there will be notes and entries that would let him recreate the journals.

He got to the library door, but stopped. He set down the carpenter's tape measure, the duct tape and the flat boxes that he had brought from home along with...thankfully...dry clothes. I never knew that feeling dry could be so great. I will be chilled until i reach 110.

Jordan composed his mind and chanted quietly for two or three minutes in preparation to work quickly and resist detection. He called Time to his aid.

Ready, Set, Go

He picked up his measure, and duct tape, and boxes, and made his way into the library. He would take each volume individually, check that any title matches the contents, look into the spine, and pack it if it seemed sensible. Then he would measure the library and compare it against the length of the hall. Libraries were celebrated in song and story for having hidden spots.

OOC

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

OOC
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

P

Faith Taylor
    Henry Pym

((This was happening simultaneously in PMs, so here it is, merged for your enjoyment ladies and gentlemen))

Outside the Kuregan's Sanctum, Henry went on what was usually his daily routine. The house the Arrows has fought in was a recent addition. It had gone from stronghold, to trap for any of its former residents. He couldn't afford to keep an all-day watch, but if any of them thought to reestablish it, he would know.

As soon as he stepped up to the back door (looking over his shoulder the entire way to make sure HE wasn't stepping into a trap), he noticed it. Broken window pane, close enough to the doorknob. Sloppy B&E. Odds were it was just some Sleeper seeing an easy mark.

One hand reaches down to the doorknob, pushing open the entrance door, while the other reaches into his jacket, unholstering the pistol he got from this very place.

Quietly closing the door behind him, he makes his way into the house, weapon held close, eyes peeled.

Jordan was well into his task. He checked each book, and made a point of separating out any volumes involving Atlantean runes, sigils in general, or linguistic drift. It was not a rapid operation, even with the aid of the Library of Time. But there were gaps on the shelves...someone had already been through the shelves. It could have been recently or some time ago. He hummed tunelessly to himself.

Henry goes slowly, checking room by room. Even when the humming reaches his ears. Don't rush this, could be a trap. Don't rush. He sweeps each room on the way in, carefully. And finally comes to the library, seeing only the back of a single form hunched over the shelves, poring for knowledge. Gotcha!

Flipping through his options, Henry readies himself for whatever is to come. Amateur or not, he wasn't NOT preparing himself, at least mentally. "Hands above your head," he says for a greeting, the gun coming level with Jordan's back. "Don't do anything stupid."

Jordan started...he was pretty focused when the voice came out of nowhere. He moved his hands slowly in obedience, but that voice was familiar.

In the great tradition of Forrest Gump, of course. "Stupid is as stupid does, sir."

The gun lowers just a tad. "Jordan?" Don't let'em fool you now, a part of him chastises. The gun comes back up the same fraction it went down. "Turn around." He throws a quick look over his shoulder, making sure noone is coming up behind. There's still the second floor to worry about, and the secret room. But for now, assessing the threat was the priority.

Jordan turned slowly."Henry! I might have known that you were keeping an eye on things. If I had known where you were, it would have saved me the trouble of shattering a window. And yes, it's the real me."

There's a moment of hesitation, eyes narrowed. That's exactly what a fake would say. Then again, a good fake would know that's what I'd expect a fake to say. A real one wouldn't try something so simple to allay suspicion.

A breath later, the gun comes down completely, and Henry starts to put it back into his jacket. "If you could find me, I wouldn't be doing my job very well." A half-smile, humorous. "What are you doing here? I'd think the Museum has more than enough books to keep all the wings busy."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

A bird suddenly turns the corner to look at the pair, glowing faintly of magic.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

"Knowledge is like sex, money and love, Henry. You never quite get enough. Well, maybe you do. I surely don't. I'm looking for books on Atlantean runes, sigils and linguistic drift."

Jordan startles again with the arrival of the bird.

"We have company, and it's bathed in magic."

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

The pigeon chirps in surprise and relief on seeing Henry and Jordan, then points with a wing, first to Henry's head, then to it's own. "Coo?"

Both Jordan's eyebrows rose. Charades with a pigeon. What's next?

"Your new friend wants unspoken communication, Henry. Not my bag, friend."

P

Faith Taylor
    Henry Pym

Henry's eyes swivel to watch the feathery little thing on the window. "Yeah, it does, apparently." We'll see about the friend part, he adds to himself.

He stares intently at the bird, letting his will flow free, connecting their minds. This meeting is happening on YOUR side, birdie. For a brief moment he sees the connections between all of those present, a network that insinuates itself into all of them. He ignores it this time. That was a conspiracy for another day.

As he feels the Imago form itself and begin to take place, he tells Jordan, "If something happens, get to the Arrows." He isn't sure what 'something' might be, but this was, after all, a trap for Banishers. Best be prepared. He turns to the newest visitors, and his first thought in Mime-bird's head is simple; "Who are you?" He makes sure to voice it out loud as well as think it, to keep Jordan in the loop.

roll, just in case

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was always an odd feeling, the voice in his head. Maybe because he always found it so difficult to connect with the Mind Arcanum. But in this instance, it was so much easier than having to recast later.

'Animus. Tug, Spade and I were scouting when we noticed the glass broken. What's up?'

P

Faith Taylor
    Henry Pym

For a moment, for just a moment, Henry considers asking for some sort of proof. He turns his head to Jordan for a brief moment. "Councilor Animus," he explains matter-of-factly. To the bird, he says (and thinks), "Jordan here wanted to look through the library. I forgot my key, so a little break-in was in order." If the Wing wanted to take the blame for some quasi-burglary, he could. But like a lot of people, Henry know, noone likes a snitch. "Why scout here?" he asks the bird, while trying to ignore the sheer silliness of talking to a damn bird.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread