Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Between the Pages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Hailey Morton gets in her car after school and pulls a receipt out of one of her school note books - 'Morrigan's Bookrack' it reads at the top in worn, fading ink. It didn't belong to her, she found it in a book she picked up in the library and now she was going to follow the trail the last person had left her hoping for something oddly fateful. Maybe my future husband..? Or a prize of one million dollars for being the 9th person to bring in a lost receipt? She giggled out loud at the thought then started the car and set out to the address that she had scrawled on the back of her papery little mystery.

The address leads her downtown to a small shop with a sign out front that clearly reads Morrigan's Bookrack. It looks as if once, many years ago, it had once been a house until its owner had converted it into a bookstore. From the outside Hailey can't make out anything of what the interior might be like. A small ramp leads up to the front door of the shop where an 'Open' sign hangs in a small window on the door.

As Hailey approaches the door she feels conflicted on whether or not to knock. The place looked so much like a little home that it just felt wrong just grabbing the handle but, with slight reluctance, she opens the door and walks inside.

A bell positioned over the door rings as Hailey walks in and immediately the heavy smell of incense hits her square in the face, like walking through a dense curtain of the stuff. The room is dimly lit but looking around she can tell that the place isn't so much a book store as it is an emporium for all the things that people who like to dabble in the slightly occult. There are a number of books for sale on a variety of subjects relating to new age and occultism - some of them appearing more genuine and less tacky than others, but there are also candles, other items that Hailey recognizes as commonly used spell components - crystals, herbs, powders and the like, and a number of divination tools such as gems and tarots.

A little round woman with braided long gray hair, full cheeks, and striking blue eyes emerges from the back of the shop through a hanging bead curtain. She smiles at Hailey "Hello, dear. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Hailey gives a shy smile, "um, I'm not really here for anything in particular. Do you mind if I look around?" She started to walk around the shop before her question was off her lips, her eyes attracted to the more authentic looking books.

"Not at all. Call me if you need anything." she says, before seating herself behind the counter and opening a book.

Hailey notices that in one corner of the store is a dusty shelf where the books are all heavily bound, old looking, and lack titles on their spines.

Hailey spends about five minutes looking over the dusty bindings and occasionally pulling down a book to investigate its pages.

Find Something Interesting

After a few minutes flipping through yellowed pages all Hailey has found are a few tea recipes, some old poetry, and a couple pressed rose petals preserved in the pages.

"Looking for something in particular?" asks a small, elderly sounding voice from right behind her - the question came as a shock because she had not noticed anyone approach.

The voice belonged to a rail thin, bent over, leaning on a wooden cane, old woman who was quite possibly the oldest person Hailey had ever seen.

Hailey makes a high-pitched squeak of surprise and practically drops the book she was looking through. Carefully, she returns the merchandise to the shelves and turns to face the voice behind her. Sighing with relief at the sight of the frail elderly woman she answers, "I don't know. I guess I was looking for something a little, uh... different I guess. I study ancient ritualistic practices, paganism in particular, but history in general, y'know? So, I always hope to find something really extraordinary when I go out. Honestly though I probably wouldn't know if I've found it or not." When she catches herself on a slight ramble she smiles at the woman and gives a silly, oopsie, giggle then waits patiently for the woman's opinion on her circumstances.

The old woman's lips thin in a small knowing smile. Reaching past Hailey she reaches down to the bottom shelf of the rack, reaching into a corner between the wall and the shelf that Hailey had not noticed. She pulls out a leather bound black book.

Turning to Hailey she says "What you seek may be within this book. I will let you borrow it, but I require collateral."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last