Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
The Job

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

It was odd, the letter Kiera had found in her mailbox this morning. There was no return address and when she opened it she found a single note that read:

Got a job for you. Big payout. Meet me <here> on <date> at midnight. - J.A.

Kiera had just finished her lunch of ham sandwich and a glass of milk when she heard the mail flap on the door click open and shut. She crossed the small, undecorated, kitchen of her apartment and picked up the letter.

"Finally," she said to herself in the empty entry way before turning down the hall to where her mattress laid on the floor of the efficiency sized apartment's floor.

Tearing open a closet's flimsy white wood sliding door and slapping away some clothes on hangers she grins when she lays her eyes on the big black case leaning against the back wall. She grabs for it, tossing it amongst her tangled sheets on the mattress behind her.

It was her kit and she hadn't used it in quite awhile. She considered immediately latching all her gear straight to her belt and charging out the door but she had to be patient. Midnight was still far off and showing up at a new client's meeting place dressed in ropes, hooks, lock-pick kits, black bullet proof vest, and weapons might be over doing it a tad.

The locks on the big case popped open with an eagerness that matched her own.

"Just the pistol, then..." She said as her eyes ran over her bounty of thief gear. If they knew where she lived then she'd better stay strapped for the rest of the day. Her fingers danced over electronic equipment used in cracking safes and ammo boxes on their way over to her 9mm's foam outlined holder in the case. She scooped it out of its foam, pointed it at the door, and pulled the trigger.

*click*

It wasn't loaded but the cold metal felt so right in her hands that she couldn't help but pretend.

Reaching back in the case she took out the suppressor for it and twisted it on slowly reveling in the metal on metal grind it made before locking together. The ammo boxes were next, she filled the gun with bullets to its capacity and set it on the counter near the door, ready to defend her if need be.

"Now, we wait..."

She plunked down on the end of the bed and turned on the TV and watched the Price is Right with its new, less interesting host then switched to the news letting her basic cable bore the hours away.

"Maybe after this gig I can get some real fucking TV," she groaned as the news went on about muggers, killers, rapists, fear and then the weather. Then it was sitcoms until about elven at night. She made a pot of black coffee, downed a couple of cups, then strapped her holster to her chest. She stuck the 9mm and its bulky suppressor in its holster at her side, just under the curve of her left breast. It felt good to have it close to her heart again. Moving to Sacramento had been slow and boring so far, with offers for cash register robberies and other small time drudgery that she mostly passed up.

Throwing her coat on over the holster and gun she snapped the latches on her kit closed and hauled it down to her car. She slipped it into a compartment she rigged for it in her trunk then hopped into the driver's seat and sped off to the meeting place with a devilish grin on the corner of her lips.

Kiera had some trouble locating the place. It was located in the train-yards in the southeast section of Sacramento. An old freight yard.

She didn't see anything at first, when she pulled up, but then a car about thirty yards away flashed its headlights at her.

Kiera flashed hers back to let them know 'it was on' then steps out of her black mid-class sedan.

In the headlights of the two cars the client sees a young woman with dark skin dressed in a white tunic style shirt with the collar strings untied and dangling, the loose fabric pulled tight in certain places by a brown leather holster and weight of a gun. Under the hem of the white shirt are a tight pair of brown shorts that hug the young woman's round but fit form and following that, a pair of soft brown leather boots that come to her knee and seem to have seen a lot of climbing. With a curled rope hanging off a belt loop of her shorts directly in the center of her back she looks a bit like an Indiana Jones character, ready for a temple to raid.

Kiera stops before the hood of the other car and gives a backwards nod beckoning the person within to come out and meet her.

As she nears the car Kiera can see that it's a luxury Sedan of some sort. The back door swings open, but instead of someone emerging to meet her it just hangs open. Beckoning her.

Kiera puts her hand on her hip and twists her lips in thought, showing the person within that she wasn't pleased with the conditions. Her head shakes and the hand on her hip goes to the grip of her gun but she keeps in the holster. Then she makes long, quick, strides to the open door and slams it shut as she drops into the seat.

"I haven't lasted this long by jumping in the back of cars with strangers, talk fast," she says before even really seeing who was in the vehicle with her.

Kiera finds herself talking to a handsome Latino man, with a thin mustache and a black silk shirt.

"And I haven't gotten to where I am by standing out in the open where anybody can take pictures of me, senorita." He replies, his voice tinged with a heavy Latin accent.

He extends a hand to her to shake "I'm Jose Aguilar. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Roll Int+Streetwise

Kiera slowly takes her right hand off her gun and gives a firm handshake to Jose Aguilar. She appreciated his quick and honest reply.

Int+Streetwise

Kiera recognizes the name Jose Aguilar. He's a big time druglord of the region. Recently he had climbed to the top of the ladder in his organization, many say stepping over piles of corpses to get there.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well Mr.Aguilar," Kiera says as she shakes his hand.

The kind of man that stepped over piles of corpses were usually the only ones with enough money to spark Kiera's interest. She was pleased with the way the meeting was going so far but she would have to stay on her toes. Crime lords with that kind of reputation could be very unstable but someone in her position usually only had to worry about the volatile nature if they didn't deliver.

"If you don't mind my asking, how did you hear about me?"

....Not through the Feds I hope Senor Aguilar, she thought as she studied her new client's expression.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last