Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Hard Day's Night

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Hailey spent the rest of the afternoon preparing her house for a guest. On the way home from the restaurant she stopped at the grocery store to pick up the meat and a few vegetables she would need for dinner. Once at the apartment she reorganized the pillows and blankets she kept in her living room as furniture so that they were all placed in a semi-circle in front of the television. She replaced all the used candles in the candle holders that were on her cheap, build-it-yourself, entertainment center with new ones from the same batch of pink wax from which the gift she had given Tom was made.

When everything was tidy she went in her bedroom and sat cross legged on her bed and prayed to the goddess that her mother and father were in good health and for the night to go well. Then she got to work making the light dinner she promised her guest.

It was a minestrone soup, the recipe was one of her mother's. She felt that food one could share was romantic and what was sexier than Italian? She rolled the lean ground beef into tiny meatballs and flavored the broth with love-inducing spices like garlic and basil. Soon the apartment with filled with the delightful smell of vegetables and spices melding together in hot soup on the stove.

Day had turned to dusk out side the window and her guest would be arriving soon so Hailey set about lighting the candles in all their magic themed candle holders. The last candle lit illuminated the glass eyes of a statue of a cat dressed in a little witch hat and cape that stared out of the entertainment center. The candles were the light of the room except for the glow of the florescent lights coming from the kitchen door way.

Hailey sat down amongst her pillows in the living room and flipped on the History Channel while she awaited Tom's knock.

Tom glanced down at his watch as he parked his car outside of Hailey's apartment building.

Well at least I'm not late.

Exiting the car, Tom opened the backseat door and pulled out a long cardboard box and held it in his hand. He was dressed in the same clothes as he wore to lunch earlier; with the errands he had to run after work there was no time to go put something else on.

"Oh well, I don't think she'll mind." Tom mused aloud to himself.

Tom approached the door and gave it a hearty, solid, knock. This was going to be a good night, he was sure of it.

Hailey flicks off the TV when she hears the knock and bolts off her pillows over to the door.

Tom can see her shadow pass over the peep hole and hear the clockwork of the locks as she opens the door.

Unlike Tom, Hailey had more than enough time to change. She traded in the clingy stockings, painful heels, and put away her expensive blue dress for a black cotton tank top, soft lace skirt, and bare feet. Her tiny toenails are painted with black polish, just like her fingernails. It was her favorite outfit to just hangout in her apartment with - cute and comfy.

Cute and Comfy

"Hi! Come in! How was work?" She asks with a pleased smile on her face and step back from the open door. As Tom steps in the warm scent of garlic, basil, and broth greet him.

Inside the light in the kitchen is on and is just down a short hallway beyond that is the living room which is glowing with the flicker of candlelight. Its a small apartment, built for one maybe two people - if they were a couple. The kitchen was traversed with merely a turn and a step or two, but the small apartment was all she needed, and she tried to decorate it tastefully. The walls were mostly bare except for a few metal hangings of the sun, moon, and stars that have a rustic look like something you'd find in a small town's art fair and she had a small collection of candle holders from incense stores that she spaced in an orderly fashion about the living room.

Tom's eyes instantly fixate on the beautiful outfit Hailey had picked out for the evening. Such a short skirt made him wish his eyes were at a lower angle, but he managed not to stare for more than the briefest of second. His eyes met hers, happy to see her excitement.

"Hailey, you look stunning." Tom said in appreciation as he stepped forward and handed the box to her. "Work was alright, same old legal nonsense, different day."

Hailey took the box over to her kitchen counter talking to Tom as she walked through the apartment, "stunning? I wear this to bed sometimes..." She starts unwrapping the box curious and eager to see what he had brought. "There's rum and coke in the fridge if you want to make yourself a drink." Nodding her head in the direction of a cabinet she continues, "the glasses are up there and there's some ice in the freezer."

The soup is in a big pot on the stove and the burner is set to "low", just enough to keep it warm. "Help yourself to some of that too if you'd like. I just finished it, we had perfect timing."

He can note other things of interest about the kitchen. One of those indoor fresh herb gardens "as seen on TV" filled with fragrant plants, dried herbs in glass air tight containers, and plain white unscented wax in blocks tucked a safe distance from the stove.

Rum and coke? Hot damn.

"I need a rum and coke about now." Tom laughed as he took off his shoes and made his way to the kitchen. While Hailey was occupied with opening the box, he treated himself to a glance backward at her.

He took note of her apartment, it was really nice and apparent that she was a girl that knew how to take care of herself. That was attractive to Tom; after all, no one wants to date an unkempt slob. From inside the kitchen he kept talking, although a bit louder to be heard. "I think you'll like what I got you; consider it an early valentines day gift."

Inside the Box

Tom laughed inwardly to himself. That money she gave me went a long way; I told her I had a use for it.

Hailey gives a little gasp, "roses!" She take a long deep breath of the flowers' scent and then sighs as though disappointed.

"I wish I could make my candles smell like that," she mumbles as she scoops the flowers out of their box and finds a vase for them, then brushes past Tom in the tiny kitchen on her way to the sink. Filling the vase she asks, "did you have to call the florist ahead of time for such pretty flowers or did he just have them there for just such a random occasion?" She puts the flowers up on the kitchen counter where they can be seen from the kitchen or the living room.

If he opens the fridge he finds a two liter of coke and a bottle of Captain Morgan with a liquor store price tag for $14.95 stuck on it amongst a couple leftover containers, a pitcher of home brewed tea, and what was left of the veggies she bought for the soup. The freezer contains a bag of ice and a box of frozen peas that are frosted over and forgotten. It appears as though the lunch and dinner with Tom was a good portion of her grocery budget this week.

Tom chuckles as he reaches inside the fridge, pulling out the bottle of Captain Morgan. "There's some guys at the firm that have good flower connections." Another laugh followed the statement; it sounded so odd.

He reaches into the freezer and drops three ice cubes into his glass, then pours two shots and some coke into it. There was nothing in the world like a nice glass of rum and coke. A long sip followed by a refreshing sigh, "Ahhh, now that's the good stuff."

Hailey comes over to the fridge and softly pushes Tom away from it with a giggle. She mixes herself a drink then searches the fruit and veggie bin of the refrigerator.

"Damn, forgot a lime," she grumbles with her head stuck in the fridge. She backs away from the fridge and slams the door with a dramatic eye roll then finds a straw near the sink for her rum and coke.

Turning to face Tom, she leans against the edge of the sink, takes a long sip of her drink, then asks, "so what do you think of this place? Way better than sharing a dorm, hm? I even make the rent payments... Mostly, I have parental help sometimes but, y'know, its hard to keep good hours when you're working around a college schedule."

"I love it." Tom replies without missing a beat. He takes a few steps closer to her, setting his glass on the counter with the soft *clink* noise of glass against the counter's surface.

"It's warm, cozy, and has the perfect atmosphere for" Tom's hands extend outward to lightly graze her hips and midsection, "snuggling up close to one another."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last