Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Beer and sports - a night in town

THREADID
    Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al had decided it was time for a night out and he had found a sports bar that faintly reminded him of the Lion and Rose back home as it resembled a traditional pub. He had been even more delighted when he found out that they had Cricket on the list of programmes offered. So he had returned for the match Ramsbottom - Todmorden as he hadn't seen a game of Cricket in a long time and the shortened form was unknown to him. Thus he was sitting at the bar looking sickly pale and clad in a light blue tweed suit with a purple tie which was accompanied by brown dress shoes and a scarf striped in red, white and blue. Sipping on a beer he watched the toss.

2. Likes liked this post
    Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

()Vitae 2 Spent
    PRE

Bookkeeping

Presence:
    (contemplative)
    Resources
    Good time management
    high Speech
    Meditative mind
    Chambers

Nimbus: Ghostly echo -- the sounds of the forgotten dead can be heard.(Voices, knocking, scraping so on)

When vulgar the whispers and scraping Amplify to screams, nails on chalk board and slamming doors

Spells and Magic

Active spells: (0/6+0/1)

Spell Tolerance: (0/3+0/1)

Personal Spells:

Vulgar spells cast in ():

Defence: 2
    Armour: 0
    HP: 0/0/0/8
    Willpower: 6 - 3/3
    Mana: 5/12
    Inventory

Bike,Street (Armoury p.138) (Cost .)

Smoking, Pipe

Blue robes with slate grey accents and Trim.
    Combat Stats

WP:
    Speed: 9
    Initiative: 5
    Health:
    Mana:

Paradox base: 2

PRE

Sometimes the night called for a quieter drink in more nostalgic settings. he had seen a few countries of the world buy this time and was content settling in the American city but that didn't mean home sickness did not bite occasionally and nothing said Oxfordshire like a traditional pub and a game of cricket.

The Scruffy British Scholar precures a pint of Guinness and looks for a seat. As it happens to complete his evening there is a gentlemen that looks like he could have been right out of the country club itself. Taking the seat next to the old man. ''Any good action so far?'' Hoping the fellow patron is up to date on his cricket terminology. A slight British accent is detectable.
    Health
    Mana

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al noticed the person sitting down next to him and nodded in greeting.

"That would depend on who you're supporting, sir. It is a decent game so far, but it seems Todmorden has a bad day and brought some rabbits out."

With a resigned sigh he took a sip off beer and gestured to the screen.

"As you see, there were already four cases of the Yips and a Golden duck. And all before the half of the innings."

Al remembered the times when the team had been better. Those on screen wouldn't win the Worsley Cup, but with luck they might win the match yet.

"Far from the team of '82, this one. But there still is potential..."

6. Likes liked this post
    Presence:
    (contemplative)
    Resources
    Good time management
    high Speech
    Meditative mind
    Chambers

Nimbus: Ghostly echo -- the sounds of the forgotten dead can be heard.(Voices, knocking, scraping so on)

When vulgar the whispers and scraping Amplify to screams, nails on chalk board and slamming doors

Spells and Magic

Personal Spells:

Inventory

Smoking, Pipe

Combat Stats

WP:
    Health:
    Mana:

PRE

Sir is it, very polite. ''Every team has a few, as long as there are no ferrets are on the field.'' That was just bad to watch. ''I don't have any real investment in either team, yourself?'' He sits back and sips his drink. ''Which might give away I'm not from the midlands.'' He watches the screen. ''A good game maybe not but an eventful one, lets hope the yips is not contagious tonight. I'd like to see some good play.'' A duck uncommon but not unheard of. ''You think a king pair might be coming?'' The man had seen more of the game so would have better insight. ''Or will it be turned around and we'll see a half century tonight?'' If someone can hold up an end maybe?

''Not a fan of '82 myself. The Australians won that one.'' I should remember to start following the ashes again.
    Health
    Mana

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al nodded. Ferrets would be worse and they would spoil the game.

"You're absolutely right."

Listening closer to the speech he narrowed his eyes. He recognised that accent, though he couldn't exactly put his finger on it yet.

"I'm sorry to ask but my ear for British accents has suffered a bit as I spent some years overseas. Might I ask where you're from?"

Al pointed to his scarf and explained.

"Todmorden. It's in the Lancashire league, but still more or less a club from home."

He nodded in agreement. A good play would be quite nice to see.

"So would I."

Al thought for a while on that, gauging what he had already seen.

"I hope not, but he looks like a candidate for it. We'll see."

Again he thought for a while.

"The potential is there, but I can't say for sure yet."

On the mention of the Australians Al looked surprised for a moment.

"Oh, the Ashes. I didn't mean those. I referred to the year when Todmorden won the Worsley Cup and I was there to see it. Apologies."

9. Likes liked this post
    Presence:
    (contemplative)
    Resources
    Good time management
    high Speech
    Meditative mind
    Chambers

Spells and Magic

Personal Spells:

Inventory

Smoking, Pipe

Combat Stats

WP:
    Health:
    Mana:

PRE

And here in lies the occasional risk of being British in America. Very occasionally someone is aware that British accents are in fact a diverse and complex array of almost unrelated dialects, and then get curious where mine is from. He had already let slip once where he was from and the danger that presented was very real. But if he knows the accent it will look more suspicious if I don't answer. ''Oxfordshire.'' He says choosing to keep things conversational and thus hopefully less likely to draw attention. Besides if there are Seers or banishers in here they have no reason to suspect me. Lets keep it that way.

He continues to drink as the conversation picked up and the action played out. ''I see.'' That might explain it. ''Another from across the pond is it?'' Returning the question with interest. ''I should have realised.'' Apparently my ear for accents is also a little rusty. ''It must be nice to be able to see the home team play all this distance away.'' He had let such ties to his old life slip, a necessity.

''Well if not with enough rabbits on the field we might see a brace.'' Those were always fun, as long as it wasn't your team.

Shaking his head dismissing the apology as not needing one. ''Who wouldn't remember the highlights from their home team over the ashes that year.'' That might be harsh the cricket had been good from the recordings he had seen when he was younger. ''The best we've done in recent years is beaten finalists for the Unicorn trophy in two thousand and fourteen.'' That was before I moved good grief.
    Health
    Mana

+ Reply to Thread