An A4, manilla envelope is delivered to the Nox, addressed to a 'Ms York'. The return address appears to be Mexico City, though it is hard to decipher from the shaky, barely legible scrawl. Nevertheless, the stamps suggest it was sent from south of the border. It is likely that the letter was forwarded on, as opposed to originating in Mexico.

Inside the A4 envelope is another, standard sized envelope. There are no outward markings here, bar a wax seal. Within is the following letter:

Dear Vivian,

I have taken steps to ensure that this letter reaches you securely, and in a manner most difficult to trace. I do not wish to inadvertently involve yourself, or our other Sacramento colleagues. In consequence, however, I am unsure when this letter will reach you.

I have had some ghosts emerge from the past, both good and bad. I am endeavouring to exorcise them all, and I have taken leave of the city so as to avoid dragging yourself and others into my mess.

I hope you will forgive my sudden absence. I will return as soon as I am able, but I cannot say when that might be. When I do, I will answer any questions you might have.

Yours faithfully,

J Durand