Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
91 - 100
DISPLAYED
(AwCon) Leaving Granite Park

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 10 of 13 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Desperation fuels Orphan's legs, and he slowly hears the plodding behind him grow fainter. Approaching the road ahead, he sees a truck driving past quickly, and take a sharp turn without signaling. A smaller car tries to make the same turn, but spins out of control, sliding with a faint crushing sound into another car.

The road is still about 25M away, and if Orphan looked behind him, he would see that his pursuers are either giving up, or lost in the haze of the rain far behind.

Aside from the two wrecked cars, there are three other vehicles, one of which is an abandoned derelict.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Orphan

PRE

Orphan continues running, slowing down only as he nears the cars so as to not draw too much attention. Hopefully the car crash nearby would draw Sleeper attention in that dierction. Still, being that he's a bloodied man carrying a mini-arsenal, he decides he might need more than rain, a nearby crash and sowing down to keep people from noticing him pretty quickly. While using the mystical awareness of his surroundings granted by his Legacy to watch on all sides, he attempts to make himself unnoticeable, drawing up an imago of him looking like nothing more than a guy just standing at the side of the street, watching the traffic and minding his own business.

this isn't the samurai you're looking for

Hoping his spell will prevent him from being noticed by passersby or random cops driving by, and knowing he needs to get his own bearings before deciding on the best course of action, Orphan tries to not think about how the companions he led onto the roof could be getting slaughtered at that very moment. Instead, he takes a moment to see if any enemies are approaching from behind or above, or if there is any sort of ambush afoot.

looking around

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Orphan can see the dark shape of the Bell building in the distance, and a grey smudge of figures moving around it. Grey shapes that minutes ago had chased him to go to join the activity. An hour ago, he had awoken; indoors, dry, and surrounded by fellows and friends. Now, he stood alone, rain running down him, vulnerable out in the open.

The road is a service road with light access, although the side road the accident happened near leads to public roads and into the city.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Orphan

PRE

Question... would Orphan know at this point whether the fleshies and racs detect as human to Supernal senses, or as something else?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Racs register as human consciousnesses, as do fleshies; however,
    fleshies also register as Abyssal other consciousnesses as well...

Orphan

PRE

How about to Detect Life? Is trying to specifically detect "humans", is he going to detect the fleshies and racs as well?

Sorry if I'm being a bit obtuse here, but Orphan would feel he needs a bit more information to know for certain what he should do next... but if he has no good means of gathering that information, he'll have to go with what he already knows.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Yep, they still Detect as human.

Orphan

PRE

While looking in the direction he last saw the FJ Cruiser going - and following mud tracks, if necessary, to get a sense of their route - he attempts to cast his sight backwards and overhead, to the top of the building. Unfortunately, while Orphan dodges the touch of the Abyss yet again, his spell doesn't give him the information he's seeking.

looking

Orphan pauses, feeling horrible. He wants to know whether or not any of those he disastrously led to the rooftop yet fight... to know that he isn't abandoning them, but simply doing the only thing he can do at this point. Unfortunately, fate the limits of Orphan's magical skills conspire to deprive him of this certainty. For several moments, stands indecisive. "I could spend the last bit of my Mana to try again" he thinks. "But if I can find the others, they might need help, and if magi as powerful as Ankh and Animus end up needing help, I'm going to need every edge I can get. Or, I might need the Mana to even find them."

For a moment, he considers asking Fate to guide him - or whether the failure of his spell might be Fate's answer - then, taking a deep breath, he reluctantly accepts that he has to seek out the others, this despite not having the information he'd like.

"The chance I can do anything to help the others, that turning back will lead to anything but me dying alongside them, is remote," Orphan tells himself. "And every moment I take here might bring the others closer to doom. This is the right decision."

So why does he feel like a traitor, like he's abandoning people who were depending on him?

Attempting to avoid bringing any attention to himself, he tries the two cars that look functional, on the off chance one of them might be unlocked.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

They're both locked, although one is an older Corolla that probably doesn't have an alarm.

Orphan

PRE

Orphan considers his options quickly. Locked... B&E and theft can be justified if it results in his saving the lives of his friends, but it's going to take some time. Thanks to misspent youth, he knew the basics of how to hotwire a car, but he wasn't great at it and he didn't have ideal tools available, so it might take him awhile... or he might get a lucky break and succeed quickly. On the other hand, it probably wasn't going to be quick to catch up on foot, either... but maybe he'd run into one of the others, or get lucky and find a ride. Time might be of the essence, but it wasn't clear which of the options would take more time in the long run.

Not sure what to do, Orphan calls upon Fate and Time to guide him. He crouches behind the Corolla, out of view of the road, and takes a quarter out of his pocket. "Heads I head after them now on foot, tails I try to get in the car and hotwire it," he mutters before flipping the coin.

What I'm trying here isn't a specific spell, though it draws on elements of Synchronicity. Essentially, Orphan is calling on Time and Fate to determine which of the two options he's considering is better (Knowing effect) and influence a random event (coin toss) to guide his choice.

coin toss

Page 10 of 13 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Last
Closed Thread