Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Book Store Blues

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Saeyer

With shelves stretching higher than most people could reach and stacks of books lining the aisles, Marginalia Books looked a little like the carefully curated library of someone who didn't know when to throw something out. The closeness fostered quiet, customers floating through contemplatively and asking for assistance in hushed voices. A nook near the back, protected from the noise and lights of the street, was packed with semi-comfortable chairs and a couple of small tables, ideal for people who wanted a chance to get to know a book before committing to buying it.

Working the evening shift with a relatively new hire, Emilia, up at the desk, Ava was cursed free to wander the narrow corridors of books in search of people to help and things to do. The step-stool came out to help her spirit down a rare book for one customer, one woman was politely asked to leave for trying to take an illustrated page, a needlessly complicated discussion popped up in front of the Fantasy section and caused a minor bottleneck. The Nix's snaggle-toothed smile was exhibited often, with varying levels of sincerity.

Eventually, Ava was back up near the front, working on organizing the enormous SALE! section just inside the door. Signs were up in the windows, enticing low-budget used-book lovers to come in and see what they might find, beyond just a mess. Chatting to L'aire as she worked, she cheerfully monopolized the Dancer's time essentially from the moment the other woman stepped through the door.

Following a lull between subjects, Ava shot L'aire a sidelong look. "So, you mentioned someone named Lou awhile ago... and it didn't sound like Big Lou."

-1 Glamour, Hardened Mask

S
    Sasha

Having been completely apprehensive of the bookstore before, the Fairest had just strolled along the enormous corridors of books. They were overwhelming to her, especially the relatively thick books that were not in the reference section. Pausing by the self-help books again, she kept watch on the Nix until she was free from the barrage of customers. L’aire didn’t like to be obtrusive, so she waited until there was an opportune time to move toward her.

As the Dancer followed her around, she’d eyed a few selections as she could. Some bindings caught her attention, but only long enough to discover it wasn’t something for her.

When the question came up about Lou, her violet’s blinked slightly. How she remembered the tidbit was rather interesting. Or why she did even more so.

“Well, there were two Lou’s at the same time I think. One was just large in stature, who I think everyone called Big Lou. I was referring to the…”
    She couldn’t really say Draconic here, although to the passerby they may think they were talking about a book. The Onyx wasn’t about to risk it. “The Hot one… um, blonde hair, kinda gorgeous.” Really possessive…

“Anyway, if you saw him before, he wouldn’t be hard to miss. Devastatingly handsome guy.” Shrugging as her leather jacket remained on, but unzipped. “Why do you ask?” She couldn’t remember the reason it came up previously.

Note to others: this is an open thread

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

Nell squared her shoulders before she ventured forth into the unknown. More akin to a warrior marching to war then a teal haired girl walking into a bookstore. But she had a mission. She will not be deviated for her task, she had very specific books that she needs to purchase. "Oh...what's that?" Nell questions under her breath, the faded title on the spine catching her eye, before she blinked, shaking her head. "Nope! Nope. Nope." she muttered pulling away from the book, it wasn't what she was after when she stepped into the shop. She wasn't going to buy it. Her slim fingers trace the line of the spine, but maybe she could -"Nope." she says once more.

Nell knew that if she gave in and took the time to read a few pages, she'd be pulled in, completely enamored, and she'd end up buying the book, while completely forgetting about her original purpose.

With great regret and heavy heart she backed away from the book, until her back collided with someone.

"Oh! Sorry! So sorry!" she rasped, turning around to make sure she hadn't hurt them, or knocked them into one of the many stacks of books. Or caused horrible, irreparable damage to any of the books.

-1 Vitae Blush of Life

Free Council

Temoins du Sud, Doorwarden
    Crowley

Free Council

PRE

A Crowley approaches!

This one has brownish hair timidly growing into a mane and waring a dark trench coat. The collar is up, shielding his face in mystique. Heavy combat boots drummed a beat as he walked and an edgy feminine scent wafted about him. Some of his newest fans including a couple with much higher aspirations - for who knew that such a distinguished musician needed a secretary - had thought it would smell good on him, and who was he to disoblige them.

This Crowley was on the hunt for books. Rare books. Proper books. Hopefully one's that would impart Truthful Wisdom which he guessed was a long shot, but he was an Enchanter and you never know what curveball Fate would throw at you unless you rolled the metaphorical dice. He's also running out of places to source his stuff (and at the last shop, the check out chick was starting to give him the eye - best not push things for a while there).

That left Marginalia Books.

On first blush it looked like what he needed. Just look at those stacks! Tall; heavily laden; the kind that just disappear into the back of the shop. Did the shop have a back? Or did it vanish off into some parallel realm of musty shelves and strange, unwanted, tomes?

There was only one way to find out!

5. Likes Pixie Styx, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Ava had mentioned Marginalia to her back in the autumn. It was well past time that she arrived to actually take a look around the place.

Small and an enormous bookworm, Evelynn was in heaven wandering the stacks. She'd intended to go looking for Ava at some point, but the books had distracted her utterly. She had opened a book and was walking aimlessly around the aisles with her nose buried in her chosen book - a grand fairy tale (hah) in the style of Lord of the Rings. Epic and engrossing, she had no idea someone else was in the aisle until the woman backed into her.

Evelynn stumbled back and dropped the book in her hand, her eyes going wide as she looked up and saw nothing, for the moment, but a face-full of Nell Cooper 's blue hair.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" she chirped, her own apology coming at the exact same moment as Nell's. Evelynn grinned, blushing slightly, and laughed at herself. "Uh. This is what I get when I wander around with my nose in a book." She bent over and scooped the book up off the floor, checking to make sure it hadn't been damaged. She was lucky - there wasn't even a folded page. Or at least not a newly folded page. "Well, no harm no foul," she added, giving a one-shouldered shrug.

7. Likes Pixie Styx liked this post

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

"More like it's my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going!" she squeaks as her hands flail about before she crosses her arms over her chest, "I-err was trying to not get sucked into a book. Which sounds weird for this place," Nell says as she gestures to the many-many towering stacks of books that are just begging for someone - Nell - to devour. "I just don't want to get sucked in and forget why I came in here in the first place." Nell rasps. "Oh! sorry." she says hitting her head with a knuckle, "I'm Nell," the teal-haired shadow offers her hand to the petite brunette she bumped into. "Nell Cooper. Is your book okay?" her sweet face showing clear concern and genuine for the book in question.

S
    Saeyer

"Yeah, I knew Big Lou; friendly, ran a garage I think. He was one of the only people Mal could stand. Can't say I remember him as devastatingly attractive, though." A small grin tugged the corner of her mouth, tickled by the thought of calling Big Lou The Hot One. Obviously they were talking about different people, but he'd been sweet, and a good friend before he left town. "And honestly all I remember is that the name came up and you said you'd tell me about it later. A lot happened after that, though, I'm not surprised you don't recall." The Autumn event and various disagreements had made for a solid distraction.

A sound and an apology from between the nearby aisles made her pause, stepping to the side to look for the source. A blue haired woman and, oh, that was Evelynn . Good to see that she'd come by. For the moment, though, whatever had happened they seemed to be handling so Ava moved back toward the shelf she was stocking.

"What have you heard, about how things went with Coco?" Information circulated the 'Hold at an abysmal rate, but there was a chance the events might've reached L'aire already.

Free Council

Temoins du Sud, Doorwarden
    Crowley

Free Council

PRE

Crowley hunted high.

Crowley hunted low.

Crowley found the music section - which was great! A cackle of glee escaped his lips at the discovery of sheet music and some fairly rare texts on musical theory. And some histories of metal. He couldn't help himself at that point, he had to check to see if the Four Horseman had made it... And indeed, in one dog eared copy, they had...

The Four Horseman. Black metal band from the Sacramento area. Four young rebels on a journey of mystic anarchy that ended in one crazy ritual, madness and horror. Yes... And no. The author knew his stuff but didn't know shit. And those sources - never part of the bands inner circle (hell, he should know, he was one of them). Way too much negativity about their... occulted... studies. Of course, the influence of John (good old John, their Devil's Advocate, now Evangelical. Oh my!)

Crowley finds himself laugh uproariously as he slips the book back onto the shelf.

Now. What was he after again?

Still chuckling, Crowley approaches the two women who look like they've just collided in the aisles. Awkward.

"Um. You wouldn't know where to find the New Age stuff?"

11. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Sasha

“Oh, I knew Big Lou. It doesn’t surprise me that Mal liked him.” She had the same grin, but for different reasons. “The other Lou I think had a huge crush on me.” Understatement. “He seemed a little… possessive.” She’d told the Nix previously he was a Draconic, maybe that would clue her in as to why the Lou she knew was that way.

“Yeah, things went to hell in a handbasket.” The Fairest shook her head. However, she’d watched as others had been wandering around or came in to the store. Feeling a little guilty for monopolizing the Autumn’s time, but still in Ava’s voice, she didn’t seem bothered.

L’aire may not have been a gossip queen, but she watched things, maybe more than others. A tome of the Onyx court. “Well, judging by the last party, it seemed like things may have went okay. I hadn’t talked much to anyone yet. Opportunity hadn’t arrived until now.”

“So, how did it go?” The Fairest asked gently. Seeing Evelynn , she gave her a little wave. The Fairest had seen her collide with a blue haired woman, it was a little funny but she didn’t snicker or give way to her thoughts. A seemingly wild man had been laughing through the aisle caught her attention.

Her brow quirked to Ava, considering bookstores were akin to libraries. It was probably nothing though.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Evelynn grinned at the friendly woman, taking the offered hand to shake. "O-oh, um, yeah, the book's fine. It's really alright." She grinned knowingly. "Aha, I've learned not to come into bookstores with anything in particular in mind that I need, because I'll never end up walking out with it. Too easily distracted."

Her attention turned as the man approached, looking amused at the situation, and asked where the New Age section was. "I dunno, sorry. But uh, she works here," she offered, motioning vaguely towards Ava, and then returning L'aire's wave. "That's Ava. She'd probably know where to look." She offered the man a shy smile, feeling a bit embarrassed that she wasn't more helpful.

There was a beat of pause, and then she realized Nell was still waiting for her to introduce herself. "Ah! Um, right! I'm Evelynn! Nice to meet you!" she chirped, blushing and grinning at Nell.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 21

You do not have permission to view the list of names.