Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
31 - 40
DISPLAYED
Fusion

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Oh, I like that, like, through a colander."

A knee bump is like a fist bump. Totally. Interesting, right? Maybe it's just taking sides. Not intentionally, just the natural inclination to consider the most important person's opinion first. And who's the most important is totally relative. But maybe not.

Because Seeing things the same way is Important.

"Sure. Sure, Ava. I get that. And maybe they're thoughts we've never had, or would ever have. I mean, I wasn't trying to be, ummmmm. Negative? Dismissive? About books. I love books. Or about what you do. I was just, like, thinking about what Des said and wondering about how.... I guess, how you and David got to the same song on your soundtracks."
    There's the slightest hint of chocolate and mint on the words.

"But, okay, let's go with, ummm. Media. Not just books. Paints, movies, music. Sure, the creator is trying to share something with us, but isn't it frozen? Lifeless, until we put life into it. And that's not really that much different than, say, a tree. Or sunset. I'm, uh. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. Other than it seems awfully one-sided."

Like the Facehugger from Alien -- blind, but purposeful and eventually accurate -- a hand skittered over to twine candy-slick fingers through Avis' smaller, pale ones.

Nobody needs one-sided. A black hole.

We can be binary stars.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

2. Likes Cayce, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Chewing, Ava nodded along with David's contribution. Birthed onto the page, living and changing as different people read it and interpreted it different ways and shared their views. A smile quirked the corner of her mouth at Dez's dismissal of 'biographical bullshit,' but she nodded. "Yeah, it's sort of like how everyone sees colors differently. Someone might have a very specific shade in mind when they do something, but you're always going to see your version of that hue."

Shrugging with her mouth, Ava looked to Luke and shook her head. "I didn't think you were being dismsissive, sorry if I sounded defensive or something. I'm pretty sure I was the one being dismissive of what I do."

If she was tracing back to where she believed their soundtracks 'synced', though, it was probably the conversation in the bar. A conversation mostly about poetry and fear, how it could be beautiful and very human. Which, admittedly, was a fairly sinister topic if a person chose to look at it that way. She was really quite fond of the memory, but it wasn't exactly a cute anecdote. Well, the bit afterward was.

And if they were sticking to the metaphor, it was sort of like they were listening to the same song but in languages they didn't understand. Words were allowed to just be sounds and everything was sweet to the ear, but important details were being lost.

She blinked, focusing back in. "Sorry, mind wandered for a moment. I suppose I don't think of art and other visual media as frozen because the things they're trying to say are, to a certain extent, timeless? Maybe that's the same thing as being frozen, though," she admitted. "But I think as long as there's an audience and engagement it isn't completely one-sided. Maybe a bit like leaving the world a phone message it may or might never actually respond to."

C
    Casitive

That's a good point,” David quietly compliments Dez. “Contexts and perspectives are precious. Poetry,” sharing a knowing look to Ava, “is a singular moment, a singular declaration in some respects, that seeks to share a perspective. Or, context. Fusing that perspective with your own might give it new life. Would knowing about where the author was when he wrote it help or hinder that perspective?

Does the Author even matter after the thought is out in the wild?

Like a conversation?” David asks Ava before turning that question to the rest, “Or like one of those chess games played by mail?” One move could take weeks to be made, at the mercy of both the Mail Service or the Human Mind. Shifting his weight a little, David looks thoughtful with his gaze downcast and his ears canted towards Dez and Luke.

In the end,” the Scarecrow of a Man says with a general gesture towards their conversation, “I think this, is the best part of media. That we talk about it, share ideas, and come away with a new perspective. With that in mind, maybe media is just a prompt to get us talking?

David suspects he's been rambling a touch and looks a bit bashful for it.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"I think you're right. It's a vector that lets us share ourselves. Express aspects of our minds that might not otherwise get brought up. It's like...giving coordinates to the other person, but instead of a map it's a picture of us. One that needs just as much interpretation as the art that originally caused us to try and share things about ourselves," Avis mused with a strange smile, the expression stained by a face that was too used to frowning when it wasn't schooled into stillness.

"It's a feedback loop. Like when a guitar and a speaker start talking to each other. Kinda, uh, like that," she added, gesturing at the stage where a guitarist bent creativity into sound.
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Shrodinger's Voicemail?"

A grin at Ava flashed out. Arecibo and other did that, too. Which was really kind of weird, when you know that space and what-not is just... well. Blank space on the Material canvas. The hamster wheel spun some more, turning over the thoughts that the others had discarded. Fulcrums for shaping the Soul, regardless of origin.

Pop Quiz: Who are You, when You is a collection of reactions to Other People?

Whoah. Deeper than a dive show.

"So, question. Are we saying that the real value of art is that it's a catalyst? Instead of, say, a snapshot of some epic mind? Or zeitgeist?"
    - Roald Dahl

7. Likes Cayce liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

The Nix returned Luke's grin. "Something like that."

And, "Yeah, a conversation," she agreed softly, not wanting to interrupt David's line of thought. His brief commentary about poetry, imbuing it with new life, was right on the nose of what she had been trying to say a little earlier.

Nodding occasionally both in understanding and agreement as Dez spoke, she liked the idea of the feedback loop. With a limited understanding of the making of music, she liked to imagine the feedback of a guiar and speaking playing off each other could build exponentially if allowed. It didn't seem practical, but the thought was fun.

Tongue pressed to the back of her teeth, Ava's head canted slightly to the side. "I'd... I'd say yes, art as catalyst. Maybe. I don't think that catalyst needs to necessarily be obvious, maybe it's just internal, but it need to make you think, feel, question. I think I can take or leave snapshots."

C
    Casitive

Nimble fingers search for their slender partner's, seeking to weave a pattern known from time immemorial. David looks down, a small, elusive smile surfacing on his features. “Sometimes, it takes a brilliant mind to create that catalyst,” offers the mortician after a moment to revel in the touch. “Everyone can spot a piece of art that is narcissistic in nature. They call them poseurs.

However, the band – fronted by a woman with a ukelele – starts to make their way out on stage; heralded by a tidal wave of applause.

We should go find our seats,” David tells Ava. Really, they should call them standing locations. No one at a concert actually sits at seats. From his body language, there's something he wants to ask, something he wants to do but not in front of Luke and Dez.

Private people are predictable that way.

Not a whole lot of days left, we should probably start wrapping up

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Alright, well, y'all go have fun," Avis said to the couple. "I think you'll do alright."

She gave 'Luke' a nudge and then jerked her head towards the exit.

"Let's head out early. I think after that conversation I'd rather try writing some material together and seeing how that affects the feedback loop first hand."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

11. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Hey."

A nudge answered, bumping back companionably. Shoulder bumps are totally A Thing. Like the exploratory fingers that just twined and then the 'W' word.

"Yeah, ummm. You guys, errrr, lady and guy, who belong to yourselves, have fun. You two have fun."
    A grin flashed at the hint of the earlier gaffe, eyes bright with warm fuzzies. "It was nice to, like, meet you." The mop bobbed at Ava, then David. "And again."

Seems like a good fit.

"Sounds like a plan. I'm in."

Let's roll.

"Speaking of writing and material, how about names on tags..."

Good to wrap! Great Scene!
    - Roald Dahl

S
    Saeyer

Her own clammy fingers slipped easily between his, giving a gentle squeeze before relaxing into the gesture. Though unsure of what had prompted it, Ava wasn't really complaining. Paying more mind to the hand than the words, the sound of applause took her attention directly to the stage.

"Alright," she said, willing to sit or stand anywhere David pointed her. It seemed they were also splitting ways from their impromptu double-date companions, with their blessings. Being told to have fun made her feel a bit like a kid, but not in any way she minded.

"It was good to meet you both." There was a smile in her voice, and the mention of belonging to themselves sparked a small chuckle. "Take care." The fingers of her free hand unfurled in a wave before her attention centered back on David and a smile and another squeeze of their joined hands.

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 28

You do not have permission to view the list of names.