Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Fusion

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    C
    Casitive

David will never get over how different October in Sacramento is from October in Minneapolis. It is still warm, hovering around the mid-seventies, though night now embraces the city. The Midwesterner in him, knows deep in his bones, that it is ten or more degrees colder back home. He knows that the State Fair has come and gone and people are abuzz with pumpkin flavored things, fawning over fall foliage, and already bundled in jackets. It just isn't the same in Sacramento where Summer seems eternal.

Breathing deeply, David checks his watch again.

Earlier, David sent a tentative text to Ava Campbell asking her out to a small concert. The place is an intimate affair, a former silent film theater with just over 200 seats. The grandeur and glamor of the age is still present in the architecture with it's scallop edged roof and warm, bright lighting.

Standing sentry at the entrance, David shuffles listlessly on his feet with a bundle of nerves sitting in his stomach. Blood warms his skin, making him look like any other concert goer coming for a night of jazz-pop fusion. Hands are buried deeply in his zip-hoodie, resisting the urge to check the time again.

Others – couples, friends, and individuals – make their way in, passing him by without a second thought and for once, David doesn't watch them. He doesn't construct stories about them in his head. Instead, he diligently watches for Ava's arrival.

1V for Blush

S
    Saeyer

Pleasantly surprised by the invitation, Ava hadn't taken long to send off an affirmative response. She didn't know much about the band aside from their alarmingly adorable name, but she didn't really need to. After last time it would nice to go to something without Coco just the two of them, maybe get back to the sort of conversation they'd managed to begin at the bar. Less putting out fires and worrying about whether or not things were making David uncomfortable, more actual talking.

The Nix arrived at the theater in a black jeans and a dark blue blouse with its sleeves loosely rolled and tucked just below her elbows, mostly to hide that they were actually a little short. Hair pulled back into a low, loose braid, she looked generally careworn but cheerful. It took her a moment to spot David as she took in the striking building and the other people wandering through, but such a tall person could only elude her for so long. Raising a slender hand in greeting, she approached with a wide, warm smile.

"Hey! Thanks for waiting."

-1 Glamour for Hardened Mask

C
    Casitive

Ava alighting from the gaggle of crowds, shatters David's fears and nerves in an instant. A smile brightens his features and David takes a few steps forward to meet Ava. “Hey, it's great to see you. I'm glad you could make it.” Awkwardly, David turns to join Ava at her side, “I've gotten us a couple of tickets but I haven't peeked inside yet.

Pulling out an ancient leather wallet, David removes a single ticket that he offers her.

How have you been?” As he walks with her to the entrance, David's brown eyes linger on Ava; taking in everything from her plaited hair to her open smile.

S
    Saeyer

"Me too, I'm glad I had the evening free. Oh, thank you." She accepted the ticket, glancing over it briefly as she pondered whether or not to offer to pay him back. In the end, though, didn't it give her an opening to offer to pay for 'next time'? Hopefully in the interim he wouldn't think she was being particularly graceless.

"I've been well," she said, falling into step beside him, "Ready for it to rain! It's hard for me to handle how dry it is here. But other than that, I've been trying to find a good novel to read. I realized I haven't touched anything but poetry and nonfiction for awhile and that seemed unfair." Reaching the door, Ava handed over her ticket and pocketed the stub.

"But, for the moment I'm caught up in a colletion of short stories instead." She let out a small, quiet laugh and shrugged. "How are you?" Sticking close to him as they moved past the doorway, she was content to follow his lead in terms of where they were headed for seats.

C
    Casitive

Content to listen, David shoots Ava a look that holds nothing but agreement with her wish for Rain. As they pass through the door and the beanpole of a man offers his own ticket, David's free hand grazes Ava at her mid-back. It's a small gesture, almost a protective one, and it establishes a link between the two. Briefly, David holds his breath, afraid that he is being too forward in touching her.

People dance around them but space is given to, at least, David.

I know the feeling. For rain, I mean.” David spares another glance to the woman at his side as they meander through crowds that are moving to and fro as though it was rehearsed. “I've lived in Sacramento for the last two years and I still miss snow … and seasons... and it's not any better with this drought.” Like an escaped convict, a chuckle escapes from David's lips, as softly delivered as his words.

Like any other theater, it comes equipped with a stand laden with spirits and snacks, seats that will – most likely – go unused, and the stage.

I read Metamorphosis a little while ago,” reveals the Mortician as he thinks back to what he's read when it isn't frantic text messages and maps of city sewers. But, her own admission of a collection of stories catches David's attention, “Who's stories? Or, is it a mosaic of a few different authors?

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"...No."

A hand wafted out to pluck at dark material.

"No. No, this isn't yours. Come on. I bought this. I totally bought this."
    Furrowing brows disappeared as the mop dipped to examine the hoodie in question. "I think."

The arched sable brow and crossed arms indicated the hoodie's owner wasn't buying anything at the moment.

"If this was yours, would it fit me?"
    A question with a completely obvious answer. "Look at what side the zipper is on. Zippers are totally like buttons. Like, it would be on the other side. If, you know. It was a girl's. If this was yours."

Ever have one of Those Moments? You gotta commit. Die with the Lie.

Or...

"HEY!"

Long fingers flailed outward towards a distraction David Regan .

"Dude! What's up!"

Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

7. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Well, if you really want it back so badly, I'd be glad to take it off and strangle you with it, but we're in a public," Avis replied, mock sweetness coating her words, just before her false smile resolved itself into and eye roll and her left hand drifted up to rub at her temple.

If there was anything she disliked, it was having someone publicly mock her camouflage. The least he could do was wait until they were in private before he told her that her disguise was shit. And, honestly, she thought she looked good. Casual, sure, but she had the little accouterments to add that feminine seasoning to an otherwise androgynous outfit. Or, apparently it wasn't as androgynous as she thought. Which, honestly, she didn't care about except that camouflage only worked if it blended in with people's social expectations.

But, better Star say something about it than get the feedback from a facist hatemonger's knife or bullet.

"And I don't think we've met,"
    she said towards Ava and David, the hand dropping back to her lap. "I'm Des."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

9. Likes West liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Light and casual as it was, the touch was a welcome one. Caught between whether or not it would awkward to acknowledge it, she sent a quick glance his way, the corners of her mouth slightly curved. It was a can of worms, to be sure, but exciting as well. Fun, even.

It sounded like they had moved to Sacramento around the same time, give or take a few months. Seasons were definitely hard to find there, about as hard as it had been for her to identify the handful of weeks they called Winter in the Bay, and snow was right out. Her attention briefly drifted toward the refreshment booths, but that could wait.

"They're by Lydia Davis. I've read a collection of hers before and enjoyed it but this one is a little harder to get into. A lot of the stories are very short vingettes about odd people; they're fun, but it's not drawing me in the same way. I trust her, though, so it's worth continuing. What did you think of Kafka?" Kafka's novella was one she knew well, though she hadn't reread it recently.

Reflexively looking toward the hey!, she was suprised to find the man's attention squarely on David. As the androgynous woman beside him introduced herself, an affable smile lit Ava's face. "Ava. Nice to meet you." A curious look was sent David's way.

C
    Casitive

David stands a touch taller, buoyed by Ava's slight smile at his touch. Realization breaks, with excitement and alarm, that David has stepped closer to Ava and that he has closed the small gap between them as they walk; making their personal, private bubbles one. The Mortician feels metaphysical for once, rather than tied to the gross tangibles that mark his Requiem.

I'd like to read it sometime,” David confides. “I know a few odd people and I wonder if I could relate to her stories.” Marshaling his thoughts about Kafka, he answers, “It's a difficult story, not because it is bad but because of its subject matter; so visceral in its description of a depression so deep, it causes the narrator to feel like he has become nothing more than vermin...

David's thoughts trail off, interrupted by the interjecting hey! and his simultaneous look in Star 's direction.

A shaking of a head of brown hair starts milliseconds before he answers, “Nothing much, concert going. It's nice to meet you, Des. David.” Meeting Ava's curious look with his own, he glances back to Star and finally comprehends... that in the year or so that they've known one another, neither one has exchanged names. It was just one of those acquaintances where names would have just gotten in the way, somehow.

He and I met at the laundromat that I go to, about a year ago? But,” suddenly bashful as he confesses, “I don't remember if we ever really introduced ourselves?

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"What? Come on. We totally did."

Sure they did. Everyone at the laundromat introduces themselves.

"David. Okay, maybe not. I'm Luke." Dez. Luke. Get it? A hand flopped outward. Maybe it's for a handshake. "Hi, Ava. And, yeah, that's, oh, right. Right." The hand twisted and flared into a point at Avis.

"This is her. That girl? Dez. So, like, wow. Like. Okay. Is this a date? You, too!?"

Now the finger waggled at Ava.

"This is yours? I mean, your 'her'? The one you were talking about? That you work with?"

Everyone's a winner.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 28

You do not have permission to view the list of names.