Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
21 - 26
DISPLAYED
A Prefect and a Myrmidon walk into a hotel...

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

The time, but more importantly, the added distance works wonders for Arnouds composure, he now just seems greatly unnerved.

"Your Majesty is most generous." Arnoud manages, it almost had the quality of a question near the end. Whether that was because Arnoud couldn't believe it or because he doubted this was anything else than a delayed death isn't really clear. Mainly because Arnoud hadn't decided yet himself.

Still, a delayed potential death kicked an immediate certain death's ass any night of the week. Arnoud would like to ask questions, mainly these questions were variations on if he could please leave but the more sensible and useful focused on the mission at hand, was there anything even a approaching a reason for suspecting there was a Kallisti? A starting point? What did the Prince know of the Kallisti and what about them should Arnoud be aware of? Arnoud knew the rumors but nothing as concrete as the Prince likely did.

Still, he couldn't actually get himself to ask these questions. Not NOW. After all, for the moment it seemed he wasn't dying and what kind of idiot would try to fix something that wasn't broken? Then again, his continued silence might provoke the Prince too...

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Oh, Arnoud was in a pickle alright. Here went nothing...

"May I... ask questions, Your Majesty?" Arnoud tries before almost experiencing the psychic equivalent of a heart attack and immediately adding "
    I-mean-I-accept-your-kind-offer! Your Majesty. But... wondered."

Arnoud was too young for this shit.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Asa was mildly disappointed.

Where is the Arnoud that practically demanded that 'Lenny' help Richard and Michael?

For all his talk about personal freedoms and government, Arnoud was as much a slave to social standing as anyone else. Asa was no more or less capable of destroying the neonate than Lenny had been. Unless this was his response to an illusion being revealed, or his coping mechanism for being vindicated in his paranoia.

"Yes, by all means," he responded.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Alright, so far so good. Nice and easy now.

Basics. What do I have to go on? How long do I have? No, best not ask that, vague is probably better... I mean, it is, right? So one; what do I have to go? Two; what specifically should I look for? Oh, why is it so hard to think with him here? No, I know why but- Focus, first question.

"...Why does Your Majesty suspect there is a Kallisti in his Domain?
    Where would Your Majesty suggest I start?"

Arnoud waits patiently, more than patiently even, after hearing the answer.

"I have heard... rumors about Kallisti, Your Majesty, but the more I know the better I can identify them." That wasn't a question! "What c- would Your Majesty tell meoff Kallisti?"

The questions are careful, tentative, probing, basic. Safe and broad. Also uninspired. Arnoud hated himself for it, especially considering how it made him appear more useless and thus could get him more screwed, but considered he should be grateful to be speaking at all after what had happened tonight.

And so, when Arnoud has gotten the most essential basics down along with anything the Prince saw fit to impart to him at this very moment. Arnoud tries, meekly, to end what could laughably be called their conversation.

"I'm afraid your awe-inspiring presence has left... shaken me, Your Majesty. Would it be agreeable if we were to discuss this matter further at some later date?" Took all the courage Arnoud could muster at that point and even the follow-up thought 'by phone or preferably text?' was weak and muted, lacking the heartfelt sentiment normally inherent in such thoughts. Whatever emotional resilience might at one time have had was shot and sitting here without obviously going insane had exhausted him mentally and emotionally, his very willpower sapped by the effort.

Perhaps with some nights between him this moment it would become another bad memory. Just one among thousands of others he had to bear. Nothing that would haunt him with acute detail for years on end. No, surely nothing that big. A little mental scarring and he'd be as good as new.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Asa reached into his pocket and pulled out a fine men's watch, and then placed it on the table, sliding it towards Arnoud.

"This was delivered to me. On the back is the inscription 'Remember GM'. I believe those initials stand for Gabriel Marcus, of the Kallisti. It has been examined by Auspex, and was delivered and purchased by seperate agents, most likely Kine. So, there is little there but evidence of existence," Asa explained.

'The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

"I'm sure your knowledge of Kallisti rumors will suffice," Asa continued. "As far as where to begin? Marcus originally called attention to himself by Breaching the Masquerade with ritual murders in public places, leaving the bodies, and also being caught on film. Perhaps if this is some protege of his, they will share his homicidal tendencies. Regardless of whether or not they also put the Masquerade at risk, they have violated my Law. Should you find them, you will report them to my Hounds Twist and Konstantin."

Asa listened to Arnoud's request to meet later, and nodded. "Of course we will meet later. I'll be expecting to be kept up to date, and I'm sure a man of your resourcefulness can ferret out this intruder."

He was tempted to remind Arnoud of the wonderful job he had done detailing 'Superman' and his Court -- but he also had the feeling the man was very close to Rotschreck as it was.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Arnoud is too exhausted to truly look surprised or scared -he couldn't even muster the presence of mind to notice in how many ways those last two lines could be construed as threats- but there's enough of both left in his eyes to show.

Focusing on the act of getting to his feet of making it to the door.

"Then, with your permission, I will take my leave, Your Majesty."

When he gets up and walks to the door he is more like a dead man walking than he'd been in thirteen years, five months and seven nights. When he gets to the door he subconsciously expects it to explode. When he opens the door he notices the absence of a firing squad. When he proceeds down the hall he sees the lack of readied personnel. And when he walks the streets of Sacramento he doesn't see anyone following him. And when he
    silently starts his elaborate bus-car traveling scheme he can't see anyone tailing him.

None of these things made him feel any better, nor feel even the tiniest bit safer. And a malevolent whisper told Arnoud
    that nothing would ever again, not after tonight.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread