Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1507) A few Games

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

PRE

Her accent may as well have given her away, if not for her admission. Gerald, perhaps, could just as easily have struck up a conversation and picked up on who is who in good time. Maybe his own patience for games is tempered by his... current situation. The almost immediate mention of the one he both dreads and desires to see most causes the Ventrue to stir. Subtly.

1 success to cover for reaction. perhaps a modifier against the roll to detect because of the mask?
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-07-03 19:58:43 Gerald Baker rolls 4 to Manipulation+Subterfuge to stifle the feels. (10 Again) 5, 8, 2, 6 1 success

"Games it is, then." he says, eyeing the rather starkly revealed form of Josephine. "In a room full of monsters, it would seem, the fearless hold power." His eyes come to rest on the Spider as he continues. "What does your look say about you, dear Vivian? Are you a 'widow' seeking to lure the unwary male to his death?" The usual humor in his voice is perhaps a touch muted, sounding more curious than playful. Even still, who other than Gerald has such a taste for lavish displays of wealth in the Domain? Even in his dour mood, Vivian will most likely figure him out.

PRE

The naked Kindred approached the costumed pair silently, eyes flicking over their disguised features and that of the other figures around them. Those flat black eyes saw not who might be beneath the costumes. In fact, they saw not the costumes at all. All they recognized as they gazed at each form was the malignant taint welling from within their breasts, the gnashing teeth in the veiled maws of threats and the threatened. All that was seen was the basest relationship between the being calling itself Josephine and them; all that was seen was how they might be used, or might instead try to use her...

Eventually, recognition of far more reasserted itself, and a smile appeared upon Josephine's features. Gerald's comment was ironically, perfectly apropos with the experience she had just had, the experience that she had every time she gathered among the other Damned. The Hell within her mimicked the perils of the objectifying gaze, of the othering gaze, which ran so rampant between people, or rather against them. What some called the Beast was the epitome of reducing people, beings, to an other, to an object that might be consumed and indulged in, or those things which would get in the way of that will to consume. Hence why it was the most perfect manifestation of evil.

"Gerald, dear," Josephine begin, recognizing the masked man by his voice, "you do realize that the fear you speak of paints not her, but rather you as the monster. The fear of a woman's sexuality, one that displays agency rather than susceptibility, one which threatens to reduce the male to an object just as the male attempts to reduce the female to an object, is one that is firmly rooted in the misogynistic paradigm. A world where the male is not the most powerful sexual being is terrifying to those who desperately cling to that paradigm for self fulfillment, and so the spider, a being which exists in a world where the male is killed for the sake of the female, has become a metaphor for the fear that women might not remain powerless, or as mere victims...

"But, you are intelligent, so I'm sure you realized such,"
    she added with a nonchalant wave of her hand. "Might I extend a compliment to you both on your choice of costume? I simply adore the meaning behind yours, Vivian. And as for you, Gerald, a mask is a powerful choice."

Hildegarde Bingen,
    The Liberated Puppet
    Hildegarde
    Scene Info

Skeleton Keys: Closet

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 4/11
    Willpower: 1/4
    Health: [][][][][][][]

Skeleton Keys: Cotouri

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 6/11
    Willpower: 3/4
    Health: [_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
    Resilience Active

Theatre Night

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 10/11
    Willpower: 4/4
    BLUSH Active

+1
    SL
    PRE

The mannikin Pierrot moves and for once the highly contrived and mechanical movements and poses Hildegarde is heir to complement, rather than impede, the illusion she seeks to create. Adding to the effect is the Lord's doll like countenance, which can only be enhanced further by the make-up. Perhaps it is curiosity that moves her; maybe a desire for company; perhaps the Lord seeks mischief.

"Greetings Gerald; Vivian. Priscus." Hildegarde utters finally, her eyes blinking almost as if she were a puppet herself. Head rotating a little too perfectly she surveys the group. Blank eyes linger momentarily on her Priscus before settling on the Spider.

"You have outdone yourself," she murmured, carefully crafting her pose (only a faint tremor of her arms betraying any inner conflict) so as to leave her complement open to interpretation.
    Blood Potency 3|Vitae 11/1|Willpower 4/4|Health 7/7| Doll Face

4. Likes Cayce liked this post
    V
    Vivian York

Ah well, there went that game… Albeit, it would have been rather short anyway.

Bloody hell, that certainly sparked a tangent I didn’t expect. This, ladies and gentleman, is my Coterie mate.

The Daeva, chuckling as she smiled, wasn’t embarrassed nor upset that her costumed brought forth an interesting conversation. I don't think poor Gerald expected that. And to think, in some circles, Josephine standing there naked would. Yet, Vivian wasn’t about to correct the Sanctified Lord about the reasons for her choice. Simple, she hated spiders, even being Kindred for so long, they were loathsome creatures. “Why thank you Josephine. Your choice was very bold and I commend you for that.”

Then, yet another Ventrue joined the group. Her movements were very much familiar from some French theatre she’d seen years ago. All that was missing to her knowledge was Asa , and she would be amidst an impromptu Clan meeting. Her eyes peered through the room; the tall shrouded headless figure she finally deduced was the Prince by his stature.

“Spiders and clowns.” Vivian loosely snapped her fingers in the air, searching for something ticked into her head. “An American author, King I believe, wrote a book turned movie that had to do with both of our costumes, Hildegarde.”

PRE

"Of course..." he mutters to the nude Priscus. She's enjoying this, isn't she? "Thank you, Priscus Sterling. You, yourself, carry a certain display of bravery. Or, perhaps, you simply imply that you need no costume to prove you are a monster. Performing the Devil's work to keep the Kine sufficiently fearful of the dark."

The Whip's arrival adds to the dynamic further. From Gerald following his curiosity; to guarding himself from a captious Priscus; to something different. Gerald hadn't spoken to Hildegarde since her suggestion that he spearhead the clan meeting. What is her angle, I wonder?

"Whip Bingen. Always a pleasure. You wear your costume well."

Vivian covers for what could have been an awkward moment. Something best avoided in the Danse. Leaving one guessing is one thing, but creating a schism for which only silence can follow? Gerald is glad not everyone is out for blood tonight.

PRE

"That is the most important meaning behind my costume, I would agree, Gerald, but there are others. Another would be related to what dear Vivian's costume displays, though not as eloquently. Yet another might be a starkly revealed self, as might happen when Judgement occurs, a self that has nothing left to hide behind. There are more, of course, but I suspect you'd rather I didn't continue to talk about myself all evening, and I'd rather let you all imagine them yourselves," Josephine imparted with a smile as sweet as decaying berries.

"What I must confess I'm curious of, however, is the meaning behind your costume, dear Whip. Pierrot has many interpretations. Perhaps this is the Pierrot in relation to Schopenhauer?" A dark brow rose in question, the smile fading into a serious mask.

Hildegarde Bingen,
    The Liberated Puppet
    Hildegarde
    Scene Info

Skeleton Keys: Closet

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 4/11
    Willpower: 1/4

Skeleton Keys: Cotouri

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 6/11
    Willpower: 3/4
    Health: [_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
    Resilience Active

Theatre Night

Blood Potency 3
    Current Vitae: 10/11
    Willpower: 4/4
    BLUSH Active

+1
    SL
    PRE

Vivian's reference to a magisterial horror novel of the 1980s was completely lost on the Lord. Perhaps that was why she included her head to the "Twice Dead" in such a crude, mechanical motion. "Why, thank you Gerald," Hildegarde said monotonously.

She did not turn her head back to Josephine so much as pivot on one leg while one hand slid into place at her hip. The movement was do so smoothly and with such a blank look that one may well have wondered if Hildegarde registered how off her movements were.

"We were summoned to dress as monsters, correct? I know these showy clown and mimes are monsters. They penetrated the sanctuary of my haven, seeking to do harm to my person. Fled from my wrath. They are still out there... Waiting to hunt us again!"

Hildegarde still remembered the sting when she tried to grapple the mime. An echo of outrage at a haven violated still burned in her bosom. A doubt still malingered in her mind - what had the mime been seeking.
    Blood Potency 3|Vitae 11/1|Willpower 4/4|Health 7/7| Doll Face

9. Likes Cayce, Travisc06489 liked this post
    V
    Vivian York

It was a strange twist that her own costume seemed to cause such a stir. Or, Josephine may have been deflecting the attention off of her own choice. But Vivian sincerely doubted that of her Coterie mate. Her eyes drifted only a moment to see Chris Wooding moving to converse with a hairy gorilla. She winked, chuckling internally at such silliness. Perhaps he was mauled by one...

“I couldn’t agree more. Permanent expressions affixed to someone’s face cause a lot of anxiety throughout many people. Children seem naďve to it early on, unless of course, there was that maniacal one at the circus that scarred them for life.” A nod to Hildegarde for she seemed to know all to well the dark side of clowns.

Vivian turned toward the masculine Lord, and with a curious grin she singularly nodded. “We’ve yet to discuss your costume choice, Gerald.”

“Let me see if I can gage your message.” Leaning back on her hips, the Daeva sized him up a moment, tapping her finger to her lips. “Now, Gargoyles can have a few different interpretations. Gruesome protectors, like angels, only to instill fear on those who scorn the church or the occupants who are devout."

Her finger gently touched the air to the side, as to change perspectives. “And then there are those that make bargains to save their own lives, making them vow to never tell a soul they were saved by such a creature. The gargoyle later coming to them in a human form to test the loyalty of the secret. Usually a lover, a trusted confidant that lures them to share this secret no matter what it could cost them. Only to end in tragedy.”

“I could be entirely off, and you thought it was a fantastic mask.” Smiling wryly. It could have been that simple.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Gerald exits the Scene.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

PRE

Josephine's brows rose as Hildegarde revealed the true reason behind her costume, and then remained raised as Gerald wordlessly departed the court. In the end, all the Ventrue did was shrug and look back her companions.

"So, now that we've discussed all of our costumes, what is the next topic of conversation? Is it now the time for us to begin to wonder at the meanings behind the costumes of the others here tonight? Or, perhaps its time first to begin to mock them? I think a mixture of the two be safest,"
    she suggested, smiling just as she might before a particularly rare meal, "unless there's something else either of you had in mind?"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread