Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Wisdom in Offerings

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

PRE

Honestly, Josephine would have preferred a more...private setting for her discussion with the Reeve, but given how fond he seemed to be of his sword, the Sanctified thought it wisest to set the meeting in firmly neutral ground. The last thing she wanted was to give him some excuse, or false impression, which might encourage him to find a new sheath for his weapon, after all. Particularly not when what she would be discussing this evening was as sensitive as she knew it would be. She had Faith, however, that the Hierophant would be receptive to what she had to say. Hopefully his bias could be turned towards her favor, whether that bias was for Vivian or for female deities. Alas, only Providence knew what might happen, and thus the only thing left to do was to speak.

In black silk she descended towards the Reeve's office, each footstep softened by cured leather bound by straps which wound their way up to her calves. The scent of incense clung to her, mingling with the funerary impression left by the contrast between obsidian cloth and palid, lifeless skin. For once, no pen or notepad was on her person, though a package shrouded in paper did sit in her hands.

2. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

When Chris heard that Josephine wanted to meet with him, he was not entirely surprised. Last Court they could 'cope' with each other. Their mutual Daeva friend makes contact inevitable. Now, knowing the Ventrue even a little, this won't be a casual chat about the birds and bees.

With his door left ajar, and expecting company, Chris heard even her softened steps approaching his office. He was in time to hold the door open for Josephine. Though they both dress in black, the Mekhet's clothing was quite boring and nothing original like Josephine's tastes are.

'Priscus Sterling, how do you do?' The smell of incense, oh so familiar. One thing both their religions, or nearly all of them, have in common. He smiles sincere, 'Please come in.'

If anything, the office represents the Reeve's "fondness of his sword", since it can be seen directly behind his desk chair. But Josephine probably already knew that.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

4. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"I'm much the same as I have been for the last, oh...several decades," the Sanctified replied, a queer look flickering over her unblinking features. "Nevertheless, thank you for inquiring," she continued, stepping into the office, choosing not to linger over the unfortunately vague answer which she had been forced to give. She would have preferred to have been specific, but time was ethereal, an insubstantial thread which wove a sea of fractured histories into her memory...However, none of that was important. The Present beckoned.

"Also, please, for the moment I am simply Josephine. I come to you tonight not as Priscus, or Sister, nor as one who seeks access to the office you hold. Rather, I was wishing to converse with the being known as Chris Wooding. Will you humor me?" she asked with a smile, extending the wrapped package towards him. "I come bearing gifts, after all."

The object beneath the paper was heavy and solid, likely metal, and held no geometric design, instead sporting two protrusions from a central, oddly shaped column. As the paper was peeled away, the once hidden object was revealed to be a statuette, a miniature recreation of the Bulgarian statue of Sophia, though in less valuable metals.

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

No matter how much Chris wants to stay entirely serious and dry at first, he can't help but to chuckle for a second. 'Well, I suppose that is a good thing then? For many more decades to come.' He politely bows his head while stepping aside, closing the door behind Josephine.

Before Chris can reply, he doesn't want to leave the gift hanging in the air. He accepts with great curiosity, while replying: 'Of course, Josephine. If ever I have been accused of being overly formal, it is because of how the stay in an Invictus Domain has changed me. Let this be a normal study then, rather then the office of the Reeve.'

He slowly unwraps the gift. The Mekhet does not immediately recognize it, but he analyses it for a second. The owl makes one thing obvious. 'That we may celebrate wisdom, and act upon it as civilized beings.' Another smile, while he thinks.

Then he looks up with a questioning expression, 'Sophia?' While saying it, he becomes more certain, but it's not like he has definite knowledge of all statues in Europe.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

8. Likes Cayce liked this post

"Quite," the Ventrue agreed, fixing a facsimile of a pleasant smile upon her waxen lips. "I thought it might be a figure that you would appreciate and I was hoping that you might count it as a gesture of acknowledgement and respect of your beliefs. I know that there is a great...tension which is fostered betwixt the followers of our religions, but I do not believe that such a tension has to exist. Not that the relationship between our faiths is not complicated, but I am not antagonized by your faith. I am curious, however, if the feeling mutual."

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Not sure how/why this got locked -- feel free to continue Chris Wooding Dark Passenger
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

'I do appreciate the gesture Josephine, thank you.' While she speaks more, Chris also looks at his bookcases with half an eye. The statue would fit perfectly on one of the shelves, but right now he doesn't know where exactly.

'Tension indeed exists, but with such a turbulent past between us it seems not strange. However, it would be even stranger to act violently just because of a tense history. So, the feeling is definitely mutual.' He puts the statue on his desk. It seemed like a nice spot as well.

Chris wonders if Josephine thinks that his past contempt of her is because of her faith, because it was not. Okay, maybe she acted like a Medieval Inquisitor from time to time, but that has little to do with the Lancea Sanctum nowadays.

'I had a healthy relationship with former Bishop Connery most of the time. And Priest Thomas Galilei and I had multiple pleasant conversations.' It helped that they did not offend the farm. 'If I may speak as Reeve for just a second, I have no wish for any conflict in Sacramento. I certainly feel no need to start one with fellow Acknowledged Kindred.'

12. Likes Cayce liked this post

"Such is very understandable, Chris. So, in the interest of preventing potential future conflict, a conflict perhaps born out of misunderstanding, why don't we share with each other more about our religious beliefs. It is only through understanding that I believe acceptance and respect might be found, even if there is no further uniting common ground. Our mutual friend, Vivian, did help us to move beyond an initial deficit of this, of course, but I would like to remove the deficit altogether. For both you and I, but more for Vivian's sake. She and I share a coterie, you see, and seeing how fond of you she is, I would like to invite you to join our coterie."

The Ventrue paused, deciding that her blunt invitation needed no more elaboration for the moment. Much better to absorb his response first. Much better to savor his surprise.

14. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

And surprise there is. Of course Chris had considered considering the possibility that this occasion might once occur. But this seems quite soon. A coterie with a member of the Lancea Sanctum. They only just got past the constant fang-showing.

Oh Goddess, what would Lily think?

He had been forming a reply in his head to what she said earlier, about sharing their religious beliefs. But now he is speechless for a few seconds.

'Yes, of course Josephine.' It is the first thing that comes up in his mind. A coterie with Vivian, that's what he wants. She is a close friend of Josephine, why should it not be able to work? Then, after another pause, finally a smile appears.

'A memorable moment in history. A religious powerhouse in Sacramento then, with Vivian to keep the balance. Let me fantasize for a second, this will have us symbolize a new kind of Holy Trinity. A Power of Three.' Then he shuts up again, accidental Charmed references happen when he's still baffled by all this.

'It would at least be interesting to see how we deal with this. I would definitely not mind working with you more often. Your eloquence is of an unusual quality, I would almost envy it. Surely we can learn from each other.' It just so happens that Chris considers jealousy and envy to be the most annoying and worthless emotions, which is why he emphasized the 'almost'.

Then, he's curious: 'Did you discuss this beforehand?'

16. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"We did not," Josephine replied, "though I shall admit that the idea of a religious powerhouse, as you put it, did cross my mind. I know that Vivian would not oppose such a coterie, however."

There was more to it, of course. With another Crone follower being put into a position of power, quite notable power, Josephine had felt a dire pressure rising around her. The pressure was not new, of course, but with a Crone Seneschal and the tension which had materialized between her and the Prince after Mass, it had become a pressure that she could no longer ignore. It would be beyond foolish to trust that there was nothing which would happen to her. Perhaps it was equally foolish to put her trust in what might well be her executioner, but if there was a certain sympathy between her and that executioner then perhaps something could be done were dire circumstances to come nigh.

As for Vivian and her sake, well, that was definitely there, too, but not the most important result for the moment, merely the most important means.

"Thank you for the compliment, Chris," Josephine imparted again. "I have always been impressed by your ability to counter such eloquence, so I'm sure that there is indeed much that we could learn from each other. I think, perhaps, I have at least learned one thing from you already. I was certainly quite arrogant when I first arrived in the Domain, but the few clashes that we did have did wonders to temper that."

18. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread