Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    M
    Matrixchild

At David's agreement he nods along. Change can be hard. Many find it hard to give up their hometown team. Combine that with immortal creatures who are naturally resistant to change and it becomes doubly hard.

Marco politely asked Margie for one of the local brews and waited for its return. At the change in discussion of the channel, and noticing David's change in focus Marco turned toward the shadow.

"I find that being self-employed allows me a reasonable amount of free time. What do you do for a living, other than what you've previously told me, " he said with a smile, clearly focusing on whatever cover job occupied his time.

C
    Casitive

I'm an embalmer,” explains the Mortician as he plays at sipping his own drink. “On-call and mostly for difficult cases. I fix the messes that the Medical Examiners leave when they write Death Certificates.” The beer turns slowly in David's fingertips as he considers the disappearing head of foam before setting it down. Surprisingly enough, the number of transferable skills with his chosen profession is more than what one might think.

David turns his gaze back towards Marco, “Even if I was self-employed, the demands on my time would be about the same.” Death does not wait and neither do the families of clients. “The nature of the business, I think.

M
    Matrixchild

"Fixing messes eh? Now would you view that work as scientific or artistic in nature?" Marco asks curiously. He had never seen an embalmer work, but if making a corpse appear alive was anything like forgery things weren't always what they appear. You had to be creative when making one thing appear like something else. If you want to make someone think you have a priceless artifact sometimes you had to use putty, paint, and a little distance to trick them.

Upon receiving and paying for his drink Marco pretended to take a sip. If one was subtle enough they could think of the whole exercise like beer style wine-tasting, though without the discussions of earthy aromas and fruity taste. "But I can only imagine how many bodies you have to work with. In a city this size I imagine there are plenty of difficult cases as well. Many jobs have seasonal periods of increase, have you seen anything like that?""

C
    Casitive

David looks past Marco to the rest of the room for a brief second as he considers the question. “I view it as more of a synergy.” As his attention moves back towards the Carthian, David offers, “One has to understand the human body first. But this doesn't mean you don't need an artistic eye. Another embalmer mentioned once that it is like plastic surgery, I agree.

As Margie sets Marco's drink down, David nods in the woman's direction in appreciation.

Holidays,” the Mortician answers plainly, thinking back on some of his reports. Holidays are more than just observances of one thing or another. They serve as remembrances and for some as lonely as he is, tipping points. For the rest, it's more or less irresponsibility. “Outside of that, work moves along at a steady, brisk pace.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Just for future reference, open threads in public locations should go in The Dance Macabre forum Thanks!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

M
    Matrixchild

Nodding his head in understanding Marco replied, "That makes sense. You're preparing the body not for the person, but for their loved ones, and just like plastic surgery you're doing what you can to make them appear as they should, not how they are. You're work is noble really. I admire that." Marco added a smile to the last sentence. Every time he spoke to David he found more reasons to respect the man.

"Well all types of emotions increase around the holiday. Depression and anger being chief contenders for the top spots," he said with a shrug.

Marco stared into his drink for a moment. He watched the foam shift and move as he thought. He remembered how alone he felt in Mexico City. How different he felt from his fellow childer. "But I guess for some, family can just be the death of you," he said, taking another fake sip.

Turning back to David he forced a smile onto his face and said, "I must admit you're a stronger man than I do deal in death so often."

C
    Casitive

It is part of my family's business,” David both replies and demurs from Marco's compliment. “I grew up in it. It's important work and work that has a long, long history.” For as long as there has been man, as long as man has had relationships with others, there has been death and grieving. “I'm glad to give what little I can to help others.

Another sip is played at and the beer is set aside. David doesn't quite like it, but the scent of the beer is quite nice; suggesting sunny days in its lemongrass and bright citrus.

I suppose it can,” David accepts Marco's experience on family, “though family can also be an anchor.” At least for the Libitinarius it can. The subtleties of language suggesting a shift in which of David's families he refers to. “I still stay in touch with my family.

M
    Matrixchild

"That's good to hear. I have thought about getting into my family's business. They were tailors, making fine suits. I just need to find the right accommodations to start the business," he said, implying both the actual site and any permission from his Priscus he'd need.

"And I think you're right, family can also provide focus and perspective, though some relatives aren't as friendly as others." Velma's face popped into the Daeva's mind. He always found it interesting that someone so beautiful could be so rotten on the inside. "How is your family doing, by the way? As the head I imagine you try and stay connected," he said with a smile.

C
    Casitive

David inclines his head for the implied statement of accommodations. From what the Priscus has heard, though, he's probably the most difficult of the five to gain tenancy from. “I doubt you'll have any issues if you present your case,” the Shadow observes. “Actually,” as a memory breezes through David's thoughts, “you would be the second tailor I've met. Miss Eva Edwards was also one and though she was here for a short time, she gained accommodation to ply her trade.

Perhaps, it will encourage Marco. Perhaps not.

Using his left hand to rake through his hair again, David ventures, “Family is as family is, though we are number few. They are all rather established so I've been hands off.” Luxuries for David number few these nights, but this is one of those few.

M
    Matrixchild

Marco shrugged his shoulders and said, "I find that he is a very reasonable man, so I believe you are right. And I actually saw senora Edwards briefly before she left. I'm conflicted though, I either want to open a tailor shop, or a club." Marco gave a little chuckle, "Maybe I'll do both, craft beautiful suits and have a place for people to drink while they wait for adjustments."

At the mention of David's own clan Marco remembered that there are less of his kind than Marco's. "Well with how busy your schedule is that must be very comforting. It does seem like your family respects you a good deal, so that certainly says much."

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 16

You do not have permission to view the list of names.