Watch

Interpreting Scripture

THREADID

Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan

This thread occurs right after the Black Mass

The last of congregation finally left the Moore House after the Black Mass concluded. Kenneth closed the door behind the last, thanking them again for attending. That left only him and one final Kindred that he should flee as quickly as possible Priscus Sterling . Kenneth locked himself in the room with his ‘Sister’ predator. The night wasn’t over yet. They still had to things to discuss and do. It certainly wouldn’t do to have someone cloaked in shadow sneak back in.

“That was interesting,” Kenneth said seriously. Not good, not entirely, but certainly interesting. The whimpering in the background continued. Turning around Gilroy began to walk about the room, collecting what books remained. About half had been claimed. “A greater number attended than I expected. There seems to at least be some interest in what the Lancea et Sanctum can offer the Domain.” As the others had left, Kenneth had been able to match more faces, names and covenant affiliations. “The Carthians and Invictus seemed especially curious.” However, while the Carthians seemed to be courting the Lance, the Invictus seemed to be expecting the reverse. Gilroy finished collecting the small holy texts and looked to Sterling for direction on where to place them.

“It was a very enjoyable sermon in any case. Very different from any I’ve been to before. I have to admit, the audience participation adds a lot to the experience.” It most certainly helped get a feel for the attendees, even those that chose not to respond spoke with their silence.

“Where were you anointed?” Kenneth asked. He was fairly certain of the answer already, but he wanted a more definite answer.

PRE

"Thank you, Kenneth," Josephine replied, slipping off the black and crimson stole that she'd chosen for the evening. Ah, the joys of clerical fashion...

"I was hoping that it might encourage a deeper engagement with the material, but I suppose only time will tell. Konrad Roth seems particularly open to the message of the Prophet, which I find to be, as you say, most interesting. Perhaps it is simply for political purposes, but I find myself doubting it. He seems to be too honest to truly be simply maneuvering. Besides, the Invictus has certainly offered an interesting counter-maneuver. They attended, even when it was more difficult for them to do so, and yet they did not truly realize their faith. Indeed, some could say that they indicated a lack of it. Please, tell me your thoughts on the matter after I've satisfied your curiosity," she said, folding the stole and placing it next to the cushion which held the bloody knife.

"I was anointed in not one, but two places. The first was in St. James in London. The second was here, in this very house. The Priest who performed the most recent one, Father Galilei, has since gone on pilgrimage. Now, what of you?"

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Hmm, maybe not what he had guessed after all. That put things in a slightly different perspective. He had thought when she said she was not Bishop it was a to ensure deniability later. Never would he have suspected one of the Ventrue of even thinking of faking humility and putting themselves effectively on his level. And if she was some how genuine, well that was even more unexpected. It did put him more at ease that as one of the anointed she had led the Mass.

Kenneth thought back to Konrad's comments during the meeting "I'd agree Priscus Roth shows some promise of being open to Longinus' message. He said his goal was survival. In and of itself that's not a real purpose though. It's simply the first step to doing... well anything else really."

Gilroy placed the books down in a neat stack.

"As for the Invicus, I'm not entirely sure what to think. That the Prince came, even if simply out of curiosity shows we are worthy of notice. Given how many attended he might be judging how many faithful are in the city that are not in the Sanctum's ranks. That most of the rest of the covenant didn't attend means he didn't make it mandatory," or possibly instructed them not to attend "so he could have been judging his own as well as us." Kenneth paused organizing his thoughts. His neck cracked as he tilted it slightly to one side "I believe he expects us to approach them for an alliance, rather than the other way around. He may not be faithful but I think he sees the wisdom of the testament's teachings. The laws of the Domain adhere very closely to our views."

Listening to Josephine's history, Gilroy fidgeted unconsciously when asked about his own.

"I was Embraced in Boston. Childe to Sister Tabitha Jairus; Grandchilde to Father Elija." He could go back further than that but those were the two he had met and held any importance to his unlife."They taught me everything I know about the Requiem and my place in it." All true more or less, though Tabitha's lessons had been much different than Elija's.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

PRE

"From what I've seen, they've taught you well," Josephine said after some time. "You're likely right about the Invictus. They are the ones who hold the strength in the Domain, after all. We are but two Kindred, and though we possess a wealth of cultural capital it is not yet clear who shall directly trade in such. Perhaps now that the Carthians have shown interested a request for an alliance with the Invictus will seem more valuable...Only time will tell. I shall approach the Prince and see what comes of it. He and I have...Well, I sense tension. If nothing comes of my conversation, then I shall have to ask you to go in the Sanctified's stead. Hopefully such will not be the case."

Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan

Gilroy didn't express his opinion on his upbringing and how he was fairly sure Tabitha had been trying to kill him as subtly as possible. Sometimes he felt the one thing she had taught him was how to lay low and not make her angry. It was actually that lesson that had Gilroy occasionally worry about Josephine. Kenneth had noticed some of the looks she occasionally inspired. He hadn’t sensed any animosity from the Prince (aside from refusing the Sacrament) but then Asa Clarke was difficult to read.

“I’m not sure how receptive the Invictus would be to an offer alliance from me, Sister Josephine. Given my lack of official title within the church, anything I promised would be strictly an informal agreement. Unless you are talking about an anointment?" he paused, and had the gall to look her in the eyes for a few seconds before moving on. "In any case I do have to disagree with you in one regard." Gilroy found himself cringing reflexively, though he couldn't be sure whether it was his curse or years of training "We do have more than simply culture we can bring to the table. There are our own personal skills, abilities, and social networks to consider. We have influence, or at least potential influence, within the Movement if their presence here is any indication. I have my own scientific expertise, ties to academia, and I know some individuals in the city's sanitation department because of some work I am doing for them. I'm sure you have your own talents. Leadership... information... it is just a matter of leveraging what we have or could have.

"Perhaps something to consider in what we have to offer is what we might want in return. If it's moral influence in the Domain, acting as informants on the Carthians would grant us the Prince's ear. If it is a reduction in Circle power, we would have to be able to offer a suitable replacement to the Reeve to prevent a power vacuum."
    He didn't see that last one happening. Not only because he didn't see either himself or Sterling wanting to be Reeve but because for now the Circle and Lance seemed to in a cordial place.

Behind him, David started sobbing, drawing attention. The young man's cries weren't any louder but his body spasmed for several long seconds before he fell back to low whimpers.

“If I may ask, what will we be doing with him?”

6. Likes West, Cayce liked this post

PRE

"Actually...I have a plan for the Reeve," Josephine shared with a pleased smile. "It is a peaceful one, so there is no need to fear reprisal. If it fails than we shall simply know more about where we stand in relation to them. Deluded worshipers of false gods they may be, but such false gods, in there own way, do the Lord's work. They are susceptible, though they choose not to acknowledge it. So, do not worry about them, lest you sense more immediate hostilities."

The smile remained for some seconds, fangs descending to penetrate its meaning until black lips hid all away again.

"And you are quite right. In and of ourselves, we possess more value than just the nebulous political weight of our covenant. Thank you for the reminder, Brother Kenneth. I believe such proves your worth for an anointment. Ponder how you would like it done over the next nights and we shall see to it. For now, yes, let us deal with the sacrifice we still have on our hands. I was intended to blank his memory and implant the drunken recollection of being mugged. Or, perhaps it would be more frightening to have no recollection of what happened altogether. Which do you favor, or you have another idea?"

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

While Gilroy was glad to hear that Josephine had no plans for more direct confrontations with the Cirle, her reassurance certainly didn't sound or look any less ominous. He returned her smile conspiratorially. Partially out of habit, part out of habit of pleasing his superiors and partly to ensure she didn't tear him to shreds as his Beast mind kept telling him she was about to do.

"Well, should you need my help, you have but to ask," he offered. Though since she hadn't told him her plan exactly, he doubted she would do so right now.

Kenneth was pleased to hear she was offering an anointment. True, she might just need him as a diplomatic tool but this was still more advancement within the ranks than he could have hoped for back home. Gears began to turn in the back his mind next to the Beast on where and how the appointment could take place. It would come to the fore later. Right now there were other questions to answer.

"Nothing is quite as frightening as that which the imagination can inflict," Kenneth answered easily "It is a little different with college students. A night unremembered normally simply means a 'good time', particularly for males," Men didn't have near the fear of black outs and flunitrazepam as women "However, I think enough signs of assault have been inflicted to plant the seed of fear."

There were other things he could suggest. Horrible, scarring things. Things that involved dissolved skin, probes, toxins, and stumps with tourniquets. Gilroy didn't though. Kenneth knew he was a monster and unnatural violation of the natural world as according to mankind. Still the Haunt couldn't voice the terrible things that sprang to mind when asked what would terrify this young man for life. It wasn't even that he pitied David. From the moment he'd texted Sterling the room number, the boy's fate was doomed to be a bad one. The fact remained, despite knowing for a fact that he was no longer human, Gilroy (in some small part) still felt human.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

9. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"Brilliant. Then I shall remove the memory, put him to sleep, and then we shall clothe him and return him to his home," Josephine summarized, her black eyes fixed upon the whimpering boy, tears and snot dripping down his lips and chin in shameful display of trauma.

Slowly, she crossed the room and reached up to remove the boy's earphones and then blindfold, though she of course left in the gag. Then, her darkling gaze fixed upon the kine's own and she began to speak, coaxing him into the trance which unspooled his memories and them malleable in the way that only the Gifts of the Ventrue could...

Forgetful Mind, 13 rolls, six successes. Degen to Humanity 4, no derangement
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [12] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 10, 8 2 successes
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [11] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 2 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [10] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 7 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [09] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 2 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [08] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 4 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [07] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 10, 4 1 success
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [06] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 10, 7 1 success
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [05] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 2 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [04] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 6 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [03] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 7 failure
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [02] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 9 1 success
    2015-06-10 23:27:15 [01] Jojo! rolls 1 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1) (10 Again) 7 failure
    2015-06-10 23:26:54 Jojo! rolls 4 to Wipe away the Sacrament's memory (wits3-1untrained+dom3-resistance=1+WP) (10 Again, WillPower) 5, 7, 1, 10, 1 1 success

-1 WP, drops to cozy, cozy Humanity 4.
    Good to wrap?

11. Likes West liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

I'll also need a 3 dice Degeneration roll from Kenneth Gilroy for a wholly unecessary Humanity 5 Sin.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Date Action Roll Result
    2015-06-11 11:25:39 Kenneth Gilroy rolls 3 to For you have sinned (10 Again) 10, 2, 4, 8 2 successes

Kenneth watch with a sickening morbid curiosity.

Memory was already such a fragile thing and valuable. For the undead this was even more true. Kenneth had been told about the ravages could have on a Kindred's very personality. And now that he was watching Josephine strip away and shatter the young man's mind, Gilroy couldn't help but feel pity. He knew why it had to be done. The Masquerade had to be preserved. The covenant's beliefs had to be practiced and vindicated. Josephine had to demonstrate her power. Kenneth needed to support her to advance and survive.

It didn't lessen the crime they were committing against this man's very being. This is what made Kindred monsters. Gilroy, for his part, could only watch stoically... and do nothing.

Good to wrap
    Mask of Tranquility

14. Likes Cayce, West liked this post
Closed Thread