Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Can you dig it? (Dr. French and Travis)

THREADID

PRE

In Thomas' church - or was it 'their' church - Michael sits at the desk in the office his guest had so graciously offered to him. He is busy disassembling the slide of his weapon, a Beretta M9, to inspect it for wear and lubricate it. It is a time-consuming task, but Michael enjoys such things. Anything that allows his body to work while leaving his mind mostly free to wander was a small blessing.

His thoughts were on home, tonight. Home, or what was once his home, in Florida. If only I had a little more time... I could have made something of myself. Michael's reflections of his duty in life always left something to be desired. How else should he feel? He hardly had the time to prove himself before being pulled away into the world of unending night. He knew he was grateful. He simply could not deny that things would have been different if he had been turned later in life. As it stands, he would not only always look like a young man but also feel two steps behind. Michael doesn't feel that he is completely unskilled; he knew enough to graduate from college with a History degree and become a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. He had since been trained by his sire in the ways of stealth, deception and espionage in the few years of his Embrace. He just wanted more.

"Terrible." he says, absently, as he runs a cotton swab through the nooks and crannies and it comes out black.

Emma French

PRE

Emma walked up to the church. She was wearing a pair of gray trousers and a soft green top. Her long dark hair was flowing loose around her face. Where was the office? She wondered. Emma decided to just walk in. What else does one do at a church? So she walked in the front door. "Hello?" She calls out. "Mr. Travis?" She wanders in further looking for the door to the office. She stopped occasionally to feel for the other beast in the area.

PRE

The relative silence of the old church is disturbed by a feminine voice, and Michael looks up from his work. He could think of only a handful who knew to look for him here, and the voice didn't sound like Ms. Villiers. Being a very cautious man, he quickly and quietly starts reassembling his weapon.

"I'll be right with you." he says, without missing a beat. A few quick slides and clicks later and his weapon is ready for use again - with a round in the chamber. He tucks the gun into it's holster on his left side beneath his faded brown leather jacket. He had bought new clothes since arriving in Sacramento, but the jacket had something like sentimental value to him. Michael opens the door to his office and quickly scans the church until he sees her.

Her face wasn't familiar. Neither was her Beast. Michael's own cringes and cowers, begging him to return to the safety of his office. His brain, however, says he should be cautious - not necessarily afraid. The inner struggle, which he found himself going through often since his arrival, is brief and he shows none of his concern on the outside.

"That would be me. Who might you be?" Michael's voice is composed, polite and unemotional.

Emma French

PRE

Emma fought the urge to rip him limb to limb. Pushing beast down she stood straighter. Was that a gun on him? Her mind was racing. Slow and calm she said, "Hi, I'm Dr. French. You wanted to talk?"

PRE

Michael looked at her for another moment before responding. It was clear he would need to do what he could to diffuse the situation. "Dr. French?" Michael closes the distance between them carefully, but with purpose. He extends his hand. "Yes. Good to meet you finally. I've heard your'e a student of archeology? I hope I haven't been misinformed, because I've been looking forward to taking on some new projects for some time."

Emma French

PRE

He looked calmer. That was good. Emma's green eyes brightened a bit. "Yes, I had been working on the dig over by the courthouse. As a matter of fact I did my dissertation on it. We found some exciting artifacts and I was able to give a really good write up on the social interactions of the inhabitants from back in the gold rush days." Emma's enthusiasm was bubbling over. She slowed down her tone, "What kind of projects are you interested in?"

PRE

A dig? Michael has to strain to hold back his enthusiasm. Too much overt giddiness would give a false impression of weakness. Nevertheless, a small smile tugs at the corner of his mouth.

"What kind of projects?" he says, restating the question to build what he thought would be suspense. "Those of a most important caliber; the search for the true origins of our people. Most of my own studies have been in the middle east - I've even taken to translating Sumerian cuneiform." He pauses a beat, not wanting to offend by running his mouth too long.

"You mentioned studying social interactions? Is your approach anthropological, then? Learning how the Kine psychology developed through flash points in history?" Even as piqued as his interest was, Michael's tone is relatively flat; he only lets enough emotion into his words to keep her attention.

Emma French

PRE

Emma saw the tug of the lips, just like a fish on a line. Except this line wasn't to catch him but to give him information he wanted to know. She just loved seeing others hooked on knowledge. "I'm am a cognitive archaeologist. Basically I study social interactions through items and artifacts gathered at a dig site. The site I was working on last isn't quite as old as what you seem to study, it was from the 1820's to 1850's. Most of the site consisted of a boarding house where Chinese immigrants lived and worked. As people immigrated to California they formed associations. These associations took care of their health, lodging, and mining supply needs." Emma gave a warm smile. "If that site doesn't excite you, there is another about an hour north at Lake Oroville or an hour west on Duhig Road in Napa county. Or I could hook you up in the lab depending on your experience." Emma wasn't sure what he wanted but maybe she could talk to some of her colleagues about a position for him.

PRE

"What I'm really hoping for is a chance to stay active in the archeological community, regardless of the medium. If I happen to compare notes with some colleagues or to improve my contact network in the process, all the better. Not being subject to dying from old age is an excellent aid to advancing time-consuming studies, and I've met only a few Kindred in my own Requiem who share my passions. That being said, my main focus remains on ancient civilizations, so I'm sure my own studies will likely remain on hold until my next trip to Egypt or the Near East." A pause. He raises a brow in question. "Unless you happen to know someone local who shares similar interests with me?"

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

The conversation comes to an amicable end...

Sorry to be abrupt, but this location and these characters are converging in another Scene. For Continuity and sanity, it must be so!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

11. Likes Psychangel, Matamune liked this post
Closed Thread