Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Balling and Foolish Bets

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

The sun beat down on the public basketball court that afternoon, conspicuously absent of regular people. Or perhaps it was avoided because it was rundown, not visible from any major street, and the net was entirely gone from one basket. The other appears to have been replaced with parachute cord, which suits the task well enough, and any enterprising persons who bring their own ball can have a free sporting experience relatively uninterrupted. The weather was nippy, and the clouds threatened to move back into position over head on this cool winter's day, but the wind wasn't too bad.

Nat had donned bright yellow basketball shorts with a black stripe and cuff, hanging down over her knees because she'd found them in the boys' section. As she steps onto the court she bounces the basketball she'd brought, a redder shade than usual but otherwise quite official looking, over to Joe when he looks aware enough for it to not roll into the street. She unzips the proudly purple hoodie she had on to reveal the intimidating garb she had artfully concealed from Joe's sight before this moment of stark intimidation: A very snug t-shirt which boasted about her physical perfection, and a blast from the past she'd inherited from her politically minded father, a leather medallion with the African Continent represented in stripes.

She casts aside her hoodie and looks him the eye, an eyebrow raising to match her lopsided smirk. "Are you ready?"

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

PRE

Joe, after finally being released from her clutches long enough to head back home, sports a curiously familiar t-shirt with boring blue gym shorts that go to mid thigh. He is by no means ripped, but carries himself with confidence, and no few muscles. He starts stretching, having passed the age when jumping into full exercise cold was a good idea.
    "Not yet. When I beat you, I don't want my prize to need to be you buying me a massage." He finishes after a short two minutes, and then tosses her the ball.
    "Ladies first."

Rules: one-on-one 4 quarter basketball: 4 rolls, each representing a quarter. Dex+athletics. Dex+athletics, Resolve+Athletics (for that important mental part), Stamina+athletics (all that running.) Winner has the most successes at the end. Tiebreaker is repetetive stamina+athletics rolls at increasing -1 penalties, until a winner is decided.

5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-01-17 18:44:21 Joe O'Connel rolls 3 to Stamina+athletics (10 Again) 6, 1, 5 failure
    2014-01-17 18:44:04 Joe O'Connel rolls 5 to Resolve+Athletics (10 Again) 4, 10, 8, 7, 3, 3 2 successes
    2014-01-17 18:43:18 [02] Joe O'Connel rolls 3 to Dex+athletics (10 Again) 4, 10, 1, 1 1 success
    2014-01-17 18:43:18 [01] Joe O'Connel rolls 3 to Dex+athletics (10 Again) 1, 8, 10, 1 2 successes
    Joe handles the ball well, though its clear he isn't built for this sort of activity. He's able to keep his head in the game very well, and focuses on outmaneuvering Nat up and down the court. Sadly, he can't keep up at the end, and is forced to play more defensively to catch his breath.
    There is a quiet susurration that is just on the edges of your hearing.
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

"Alright, Murphy," she jokes, recognizing the film reference straight away, "Take your time. I can beat you whenever."

And, when he is ready and passes her the ball, she reminds him, "I told ya Joe, you can't win. I cannot be defeated." Her voice is boisterous, but also maybe a little sarcastic. Maybe she's rethought matters and wants to hedge her bets, or maybe she's just taunting him.

6 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-01-17 18:55:52 Nat rolls 3 to Keepin' On (Stam+Athl) (10 Again) 9, 5, 4 1 success
    2014-01-17 18:55:15 Nat rolls 3 to Pimpin' (Res+Athl) (10 Again) 3, 7, 8 1 success
    2014-01-17 18:54:47 Nat rolls 4 to Ballin (Dex+Athl) (10 Again) 1, 4, 8, 9 2 successes
    2014-01-17 18:54:35 Nat rolls 4 to Ballin (Dex+Athl) (10 Again) 8, 9, 2, 6 2 successes

Nat, true to her word, handles the ball better. Well, her more agile playstyle seemed fairly evenly matched for Joe's stronger drive, but in the end, the energy of youth seals the deal. Her comparatively-endless supply of nimble moves scores a layup on a tired Joe. Nat wins, and smirks.

"See? I told you. I don't brag, I just tell it like it is."

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Lilly bounces into the playground, all Orange, Pink, Glitter and Cheer. She's carrying a cardboard box with poster-board and spray cans and pot lids and bowls and stencils. She barely spares a glance to the couple playing ball, but instead focuses on finding the right spot. After a moment, she finds it, drops her box with a clatter, and sets up a sheet of the poster-board, snaps on a paint mask, and sets to work.

First, Warming up.

Painting~
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-01-17 19:56:18 Lilly Ganz rolls 7 to Wits+Expression+Specialty (10 Again) 4, 1, 4, 4, 10, 5, 2, 7 1 success

Just a simple star-scape. Something she could add to an build on.

Kevin Swift

PRE

Kevin Swift

Kevin trots after Lilly, having used Anybeast to pass his Urhan form as a white dog, sporting a bit of rope tied around his neck, giving observers the impression of a collar. His tail wagging with each stride, Lilly is the focus of his gaze, leaving his ears to flick about at different sounds. Panting with his tongue hanging out and his head low as he goes.

As Lilly finds a spot to sit, he circles around the spot before coming to a stop about three feet between himself and her, on her left side. With fluent motion, Kevin lays down and yawns a bit before closing his jaws. He had spotted Lilly just outside of the park and having nothing better to do, decided to follow her.

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

PRE

"You did well." Joe concedes, as he slowly recovers from the heavy exertion. "We'll have to keep doing this in the future, I havent' had a good partner for basketball in years." The church guys were good, and it was good to learn the foundations from them, but ever since...
    Joe shakes his head, and notices the painter and her dog.
    "Looks like we have company." Joe walks over to the painter, and looks at her spray painting. He can't help but admit that his first impression is spray paint not on a wall. Didn't know you could do spray paint without vandalism.
    "That looks very nice." He says to the painter. Lilly Ganz
    There is a quiet susurration that is just on the edges of your hearing.
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

There's a skip in Nat's grin when Joe seems to shake his head at some inner contemplation, and her head tilts as she dons a more empathetic expression. "You alright?" she asks, before explaining, "I'm not going to rub it in and name some crazy prize. We can just continue our weekend as planned, and my victory claim is this - you will never deny that I just beat your ass and I am athletically superior to you. You will sing my praises as the greatest baller in Sacramento; No more and no less, and that is all. Sounds easy enough, right?" Her expression somehow defaulted back to cheerful egomania like she usually seemed to prefer during her little speech.

Her eyes finally get around to following his to the painter and her pet, as she'd been too busy being victorious to notice her environment. She follows Joe over to get a look for herself, and holds out a hand for the dog to sniff if it draws closer.

"That is very cool," Nat remarks enthusiastically to Lilly, but neglects to suggest it would look better up on the side of the nearest building in light of her boyfriend being a cop. You have to make sacrifices to be in a lasting relationship, she quotes to herself in her own inner monologue, but she's already smiling like she's up to something, so no one will likely notice.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Lilly laughed a little as the two players came over. "Nah, I'm just warming up. If you want to watch, I've got more masks, but I wouldn't hang around too close just incase." She shot a brief look to the-dog-that-isn't, somewhere between 'you should stick further away' and 'just because you're cute and furry won't mean I'll pet you'. She pulled out the box, offering it to the other two, then went back to working on the space scape, adding in some shadowed landscape below the nebulae.

Date Action Roll Result
    2014-01-19 14:45:28 Lilly Ganz rolls 7 to Wits+Expression+Specialty (10 Again) 2, 10, 3, 7, 1, 6, 5, 10, 7 2 successes

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Daniel trails a fair bit behind Lilly having covered some additional distance running. He's wearing relatively light dark sports clothing and battered athletic shoes. The Rahu runs at mid-speed with light, practiced steps, carrying a ball in his hands. The goal is to get to this run-down court he spotted a few days before. It is in bad enough condition that meeting the Pure there was very, very improbable.

He's barely worked up a sweat, when he comes upon the gathered crowd. The first instinct is to throw himself in there and throw Lilly out.

After a few moments, Daniel relaxes. None of them smell like Urdraga, so he might as well be nice.

Imagining what Elaine would do to me if something happenned to her sister... Not good for mental health.

"Hey, Lilly! Lost you for a few moments there. This place could use some character", - he approaches one of the baskets and looks at it critically, - "Well, the hardware looks sturdy. Should handle dunking".

Turning to what looks to be a pair of athletic love-birds, he smiles:

"I'm Daniel. The cheerful painter is Lilly".

Kevin Swift

PRE

Kevin Swift

Kevin moves his nose closer to the woman's hand and sniffs it. After a few seconds, he leans back and looks towards Lilly, wagging his tail. Then returns to looking towards the woman, opening his mouth and letting his tongue hang out.

His ear flicker and looks towards Daniel, he barks out a greeting, wagging his tail a few times. He tosses his head a bit before licking his left forepaw for a few seconds.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread