Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Investigating the investigator (Private)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    x
    xohgr

The drone of people talking filled the coffee house, the smell of fresh baked donuts and just brewed coffee strong in the air. A classic rock station hummed in the background. Evan Dorn radio talk show host and part time fighter of evil things sat in a booth alone speaking into his cell phone.

"Yeah, that's right D.E.R.E.V. -- yeah, German I think. ok get back to me. He hung up the phone with a click. At that moment a brunette server appeared holding a pot of coffee. "Refill" she asked. "yes please" Evan replied watching as the steaming ambrosia was poured into his mug. When the server moved on to her next table Evan flipped to his phone to the contacts page. who to call? who to call? he thought. I think I should give Police Constable Smith a try. He has always scratched my back in the past. Even Clicked the speed dial and put the phone to his ear.

I
    Irina

The phone is picked up several rings later, and a busy sounding man answered with a faintly distracted and decidedly informal, "Yes?"

x
    xohgr

"Hi-ya Smiddy, It's Evan. How are ya? ya old son'ov'a." Evan says cheerfully. He continues talking instead of pausing. "Listen, I needs a favor and your the only one on the planet that can help me. See I am working on a story and I need a little fact checking as it were. I won't bore you with all the details but just FYI there is this guy I need looking into. so wadda-ya say?"

I
    Irina

Smith gave a very slight chuckle. "Well, I'll see what I can do, as always," he responded. In the background, there is an obvious sound of a bustling office, probably owing to his slightly distracted self.

x
    xohgr

A smile spreads across Evan's face. He speaks into the phone. "I never doupted it for a second. So this guy, his last name is Derevko. I know, I know, it isn't alot to go on but i got a few things to narrow it down. First he is from right here in the Sac. Second he is a big guy lots of scars. now the third is a little tricky" Evan stops talking and reaches over to the container of sugar packets. he pulls four out and rips them open, he empties all four before speaking again. "Now the thing is, this guy happens to be a Fed. Now before you go off, I am sure that he is probably some low level pencil pushing bureaucrat that has never see a day of real foot work in his life. But I needed to be honest with you." Evan hated lieing to his contacts, it always turned out bad, but this was a small lie and for an important reason. Evan decided he would send Smith a bottle of Jack for christmas this year.

I
    Irina

The man hesitated as he Evan announced the name he wanted investigating, as if it already rang a bell. As well it should, considering Derevko had been in the newspaper so recently. Kidnappings, and suspected kidnappings, were getting a lot of attention recently thanks to the "Sacramento Stalker". That the name came with a striking description aided his memory from the get-go.

"Uh, a Derevko used to work for Sac PD a few years ago. He was a Detective."

x
    xohgr

Shit -- This might still be a good thing. Evan pulls a note pad out of his pocket and click his pen. "Detective eh? I did not know that. What do you know about him? he must have been a good cop to make Fed, ya think? is there any whispers around the water cooler?" Evan hopes that he hasn't bitten off more then he can chew here. He knows the loyalty cops share with each other and now would be a bad time to be stonewalled.

Fail
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-09-17 11:49:48 Evan Dorn rolls 8 to Manipulation (4) + Persuasion (4) to learn info from contact (10 Again) 7, 2, 2, 4, 7, 1, 4, 7 failure

I
    Irina

On the other side of the line, his contact shrugged. "Not much. It was before I got here; he was a good cop and then he moved on up. That's about it. Worked cases, got shit done."

The man paused, and an edge of suspicion crept into his voice. That feeling was not immediately obvious of course; the cop was not an amateur at masking his emotions.

"Why're you interested in a missing Fed?"

Wits + Empathy to judge Smith's suspicion, with a target of 3 successes to catch it.

x
    xohgr

Evan is Oblivious
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-09-19 17:52:43 Evan rolls 3 to wits 3 + Empathy 0 to read suspicion in smith (10 Again) 5, 9, 8 2 successes

Evan does not notice the suspicion in Smith's voice and continues talking, saying things probably best left unsaid under the circumstance. "Oh well I ran into him at a bar the other day and he came off as a total hard ass. Throwing his weight around like he was Mike Tyson. Came off as a real prick so I am looking into it to see if he is...you know...dirty...'

I
    Irina

There is a definite pause in the cop's voice this time, and though he does not respond with a distinct uh-huh, it is certainly implied in his tone when he next speaks.

"Old cops can be hardened jerks, it comes with the territory. It doesn't make 'em dirty." The cop paused, before continuing. "It's a moot point anyway. The Fed is missing, and people higher up than me are dealing with it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.